Dragon Age Inquisition running but switching between fullscreen/windowed mode

by emmaclairepotter

Original Post

Dragon Age Inquisition running but switching between fullscreen/windowed mode

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey guys, 

Not sure if this is the same issue as the "DA:I won't run in fullscreen mode!" post, but I'm having a hard time getting the game to open at all. It immediately starts flashing and switching between fullscreen (black) and windowed mode (where the game is running fine but I can't play it). Everytime it reopens it places my cursor in the middle so I can't click anything. If I tab out, I can see the game in windowed mode running smoothly, but if I click it, it resumes flickering. 

Not sure why this is happening. Pretty positive I was running without internet two days ago when I was playing and everything was fine -- the next morning (still without internet, so with no change in patches/updates for anything) I opened the game up and this started happening. Tried updating game and drivers once I had internet to no avail. Kind of annoyed -- this is an expensive game and all the other games on Origin work. 

I took two (crappy) videos:

flickering (beginning): http://tinypic.com/r/2lmoqx4/8

after trying to tab out (takes a few attempts): http://tinypic.com/r/2rzyzr7/8 (note that i can't play the game despite it running fine in the background)

I have Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 347.52, windows 7 64 bit home premium running on a macbook retina pro yosemite. 

What's up?

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 7 (12,020 Views)

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition running but switching between fullscreen/windowed mod

★★★ Newbie

Literally just fixed this by following this comment:

"Below I'm reposting what I wrote on the EA forums. I should warn you in advance that although this had some success with desktop users experiencing the fullscreen problem, many laptop users reported that the software features needed to correct the problem were not present in systems using NVIDIA's mobile GPUs.

I believe I have a solution. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it has fixed this problem (for me at least) consistently in the past. The root of the trouble seems to be in the interaction of the Frostbite Engine with the NVIDIA display driver. I've run into this on Battlefield 3, BF4, and now Dragon Age: Inquisition; previously on my GeForce GTX 670 and more recently on my GTX 970.

Here's what I've done to fix it: first exit DA:I completely. Then open the NVIDIA Control Panel. On the right of the main window, under the Display tree, click Adjust desktop size and position. In the center of the window you should now see two tabs, make sure the one titled Scaling is selected. Inside this view, under Select a scaling mode, you should see several radio buttons representing the various scaling options. If No scaling is currently selected, try selecting Full-screen scaling instead. If Full-screen scaling is already selected (but full-screen is nonetheless non-functional in DA:I), try toggling one of the different options on instead. In the bottom right corner of the Control Panel, click the button labelled Apply. Then relaunch DA:I and set the game to run in full-screen mode. If the first time doesn't fix the game, quit the game, and try one of the other two scaling options in the control panel - try each option before you give up. Hopefully one will fix your problem.

Cheers, and good luck!

*Edit: Since I can't include an image directly in my post, here's a link to a screenshot that highlights the relevant section in the NVIDIA Control Panel."

taken from here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/800459/geforce-mobile-gpus/dragon-age-inquisition-cant-go-f...

woo hoo!

Message 2 of 7 (12,005 Views)

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition running but switching between fullscreen/windowed mod

★★★ Newbie

Tried to play today and the same thing happened, despite the above fix Frown 

Message 3 of 7 (11,998 Views)

★★★ Novice

I wish I could try that fix but my NVidia control panel does not have any of those options.

Message 4 of 7 (11,990 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just bought the game, which I now regret, wish I'd bought a copy if I was going to have performance issues like this.  Mine won't run full screen but if I select "full screen windowed" then I get full screen.  If I try to return to "full screen" then I get it running in a small window, whatever resolution I choose it's the same half-sized window.  Every time I use origin there is an issue.  Usually there are issues with the in-game origin functions.

Message 5 of 7 (10,819 Views)

★★ Novice

I uninstalled DA:I a while ago, so I can't test this, but has anyone tried the latest Intel drivers? They claim to address issues with some full-screen games.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+...

After installing the new drivers:

* Launch Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

* Select "Display"

* Under "Scaling", select "Scale Full Screen"

* Check "Override Application Settings"

Would love to know if this helps solve the problem for anyone. If it does I'll reinstall the game.

Message 6 of 7 (10,752 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I'm unsure if this issue/problem is why my interactive hand thingy won't work.  Some of these shards (exalted plains) I can't pick these items up and unable to complete these quests. I'm going to fiddle around with these settings and see if this will help my issue. 

Message 7 of 7 (8,137 Views)