Re: Dragon Age Inquisition is lagging and I am unsure as to why

by alienbob64

Original Post

Dragon Age Inquisition is lagging and I am unsure as to why

★★★ Newbie

As the title suggests, I seem to be lagging and I am unsure as ot why. My computer should be able to handle the game without hiccups. It seems like most of the time it is frame skipping that takes me from 60 fps to 40 fps and makes it look choppy or other times it's from 60 fps to 3 fps. I do find this a bit strange. I have a Dx Diag file saved with more info about my pc to see if anything needs to be upgraded but seeing as how this is community help I cannot upload it. Does anyone know an email for ea support? I don't really feel like waiting an hour to chat to someone live, I'd rather send an email with the extra info and look back at the response when I can. However if anyone else is willing to help I'd appreciate it also.

Message 1 of 10 (3,685 Views)

★★ Novice

I have been having this issue too, and I am playing solo play. It should not be laggy as if I was playing an online MMORPG like World of Warcraft etc. I have a relatively new Alienware gaming lap top less than 1 year old, and has all the bells and whistles on it. My computer is more than capable of handling this game and online games without lag issues ( I play SWTOR a lot and dont have an issue there). 

But like you said, I keep getting hang ups like a burp in the game periodically. It's getting frustrating because I never had this issue with DA:Origins or DA:2. 

Message 2 of 10 (3,669 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Glad to see I'm not alone here haha. It seems like something that should be patchable, so here's to hoping. I just wish EA would give some official comfirmation that there is some work going on to fix and better optimize their game.

Message 3 of 10 (3,661 Views)

★★★★ Novice

zombieofun:

As long as you know your computer meets minimum/recommended specs for the graphical detail you're running at there's not much to be done without DxDiag.

Tortures:

WoW and SW:TOR are far less graphically intense than this game because they are designed to have high numbers of players on screen with minimal lag for all players.  Single player games are almost always higher in detail (and this is certainly the case here).  DAI is much more intense than DAO or DA2 in regard to all resources required.  I would make sure your graphics use the optimal settings for your GPU using either an external reference like GeForce Experience or use the game defaults (which for me matched GFE).

Message 4 of 10 (3,651 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I think the game is lacking some needed optimization, my PC exceeds all recommended specs and it doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly as it should, even on middle-high settings.

At this point we just need to wait for them to get around to releasing a patch and hope for the best.

Most of the time I've had that kind of skipping you're describing nothing I did helped much. Either it got patched or it never went away until years later when I went back and played it on a machine that was far in excess of what the game needed at the time.

Message 5 of 10 (3,634 Views)

★★★ Novice

turning off the origin overlay. IDK why buy I guess the overlay is just poorly made/coded. I was getting heavy stutter every 15-30 sec and as soon as I turned it off everything was fine.

Give it a go and see if it works.

Message 6 of 10 (3,598 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have Dual AMD Quad Core Processors, AMD R7 240 Graphics 4Gig, and 32 gigs of memory. My drivers are up to date and I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and I have skipping and freezing during both cutscenes and gameplay. It seems that they developed this game for people who wanted to spend insane amounts of money on HIGH END gaming pc's, and just said to hell with all of us peasants. I really think that they F#$#$d the donkey on this one, sorry in advance to the Fanboy's.

Message 7 of 10 (2,847 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Nejjin1 wrote:

I have Dual AMD Quad Core Processors, AMD R7 240 Graphics 4Gig, and 32 gigs of memory. My drivers are up to date and I am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and I have skipping and freezing during both cutscenes and gameplay. It seems that they developed this game for people who wanted to spend insane amounts of money on HIGH END gaming pc's, and just said to hell with all of us peasants. I really think that they F#$#$d the donkey on this one, sorry in advance to the Fanboy's.

The R7 240 is very far behind the absolute minimum AMD GPU (HD 4870). I'm not sure what you're expecting.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to build a PC that can run this game well. This cheap PC meets the recommended system requirements: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wDLVTW

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 10 (2,840 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

An R7 240 is not a gaming video processor.  The minimum is the R7 260, which is the next step above a beginner level gaming device.  That answer is a result of an edit.  My memory had failed me by one step initially. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-240-vs-Radeon-HD-4870

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-260-vs-Radeon-HD-4870

Message 9 of 10 (2,832 Views)

★ Novice

I have not had any Lag issue with the game until the latest PATCH that included the Golden NUG and the DLC tresspasser.

Once I downloaded those the lag commences.  Game takes forever to load.

Message 10 of 10 (2,368 Views)