Dragon Age: Inquisition does not launch on Windows 10

by avikboson

Original Post

Dragon Age: Inquisition does not launch on Windows 10

★ Novice

Hi, I have recently got Dragon Age Inquisition but, I am not able to launch it due to some driver problem saying-

Direct X function "Find closest matching mode" failed with DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE(The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.").GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M",Driver:37667.

My system description is attached herewith

I was wondering whether I fulfill the the system requirements/graphics card or is it something else !

I can play games like Witcher 3 with no problem.

I would highly appreciate help from the group.

Message 1 of 8 (1,283 Views)

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition does not launch on Windows 10

[ Edited ]

If I had to guess I would say it is probably related to being a laptop and having the Intel and Nvidia video chips.  IF you look at your Dx report, you will notice your GTX 860M doesn't list WHQL for the driver, doesn't list current mode(1920 x 1080 as an example) and lists a whole bunch of unknowns or N/A in the report.  This basically means the computer doesn't know this info, so how can it then be used in gaming...  Now on some laptops they use a Hybrid solution in which the Intel chip does some display work and the Nvidia does other, which can give you absolute fits when trying to play modern games.  I would look into getting the Nvidia 860M fully functional, with updated drivers and then go into your settings(nvidia control panel) and make sure your system is using it when playing DAI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 8 (1,266 Views)

★ Novice

Hi ,thanks a lot for your reply.

Today I Have updated my driver. Here is my updated direct X report.

I have checked that its using graphics card while playing DAI.

But its still giving this strange error message.

Direct X function "Find closest matching mode" failed with DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE(The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.").GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M",Driver:38843

The nvidia graphics card software (GEFORCE) can locate the game..along with my other games like warhammer, witcher3  etc..its telling me the optimal settings but can't launch the game

could it be the problem with the game file itself? (I tried repair, reinstalling  etc)

Message 3 of 8 (1,244 Views)

Your Dx still shows a marked amounts of Unknowns in your Nvidia card, which may be a function of how Lenovo laptops are set up...

One thing I did find searching for this issue on the web is people saying programs with overlays can cause this because the background process is using the resource and not letting the game have it.  Things that would be an overlay would be Fraps, some chat programs(gamer chats), and even some Geforce experiences(which shouldn't cause an issue as it is created by the video card companies to go with the drivers.....)  Maybe a clean boot of the system can help you determine if you have a program interference https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Or go into your running programs and turn off all non-essential programs and see if it works then, paying special attention to any that are designed to run in background to "help" you during gaming.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 8 (1,237 Views)

★ Novice

Had the exactly same problem after installing the Windows Fall Creators Update (1709). Reverted back to the previous state and the game runs fine again.

Message 5 of 8 (1,131 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Am running Win10 v1709 with no problems, as are tens-of-thousands of others.

It's something fairly specific to the individual rig that causes the problem

Message 6 of 8 (1,109 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Had the exactly same problem after installing the Windows

adjust display resolution from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 then start the game if the game start the close the game end go turn display resolution to normaal 1920x1080 end start the game works with me

Message 7 of 8 (900 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I'm having the same problem but on a lenovo desktop
Message 8 of 8 (745 Views)