Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Won't Launch

by ObamaPhoneHome

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

This was the comment that helped me fix the launch problem. Once I set the exception on my anti-virus software it launched fine. 

Message 51 of 65 (2,272 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello, i had the same problem game start black screen loading then back to desktop., i am using win 10. i have tried disabling anti-virus, add exceptions to antivirus nothing seems to solve the problem. i don't know why. any suggestions will help a lot, just recently got the game and haven't been able to play, its really frustrating. i need some help figuring out how to make it work.. i have tried alot of different types of solutions from the replies of others, nothing seems to work for my laptop. if my specs are under requirement please tell me. i was able to run GTA 5 with recommended system requirements and many others games of the level as well. only this game has given me so much trouble.

Message 52 of 65 (2,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

3 things I note on your DxDiag file...  @Vasisth_Nair

1)  You have a window update failure fault.  This may be something that was prevented from being installed because you didn't want it, to a failure that is more indicative of problem you need to deal with.  Unfortunately, I can't tell from the report how much an issue it actually is...you may want to see what windows update says about updating and any issues there.

2)  You have a fault with IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe in your report, this is a program/driver used by Intel for storage systems.  From what I could find out, it isn't in most cases essential, but again, it may be causing issues if it is failing while trying to load your game....

3)  Perhaps the most noticeable is you are on a laptop, and as such it has two video "cards" that it uses.  You are running on a balanced power setup, which on some system means it will use the intel "card" until greater graphics are needed and then switch or share responsibilities with the AMD card to balance performance and battery life.  The issue you get though is the Intel isn't supported and can easily cause crashing or failure to run IF it is being used.  So you need to go into your settings and make triple sure you are using the AMD card instead of the Intel, and probably need to set the power scheme to Quality as well.  Also if the laptop isn't plugged in and fully charged sometimes the system will default to the less powerful Intel chip, so you need to make sure they laptop is plugged in when trying to run the game.

I am not a fan of laptops for gaming....yes, many people get many hours of enjoyment on them, doing just that, but I am not a fan.  Generally speaking if you want to game on a laptop, you really need to make sure you buy a gaming laptop, which I DON'T consider the HP Pavilion to be.    Having said all of the above though, still 99% of the time the symptom you describe is anti-virus related, meaning you didn't put in the exceptions correctly, or didn't include Origin, DAI, and the saves of DAI.....but hey, you may be that lucky 1%....

As far as the hardware goes, by what I can tell, you meet min specs with hardware ability, as long as you are using the AMD "card"/chipset, but being a laptop with a mobile graphics device it doesn't technically meet min standards...technically...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 53 of 65 (2,223 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This solved for me. Nothing worked, then this.. Beautifully simple. I just stood down my AV until restart and voila! Thanks

Message 54 of 65 (2,058 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes that's it, it is you have to disable anti-virus

Message 55 of 65 (1,885 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I was having the same problem but I use Avast. I added Inquisition folder to the "exceptions" on my antivirus and it booted up just fine.
Message 56 of 65 (1,716 Views)

★ Novice

I agree with the anti-virus solution here.  However I was only running the vanilla windows defender that comes with windows 10!

I put the origin and origin games folders within the  "Program Files (x86)"  folder on windows defender exception list.  After that the game runs flawlessly so far.

This is really sad that the anti-virus software can't figure this out,  and I wasted a lot of time trying different solutions for this.  The anti-virus software stops the game from running.

Message 57 of 65 (1,532 Views)

★★★ Newbie

As far as all of these solutuons, none of them, including a clean boot have worked. Need another solution.

Message 58 of 65 (1,319 Views)

@deathweever

If you would like help, I ask that you post exactly what the game is doing when you try to launch it, please also post a DxDiag file here so we can see a bit about your computer and any errors it may list.  Please list what Anti-virus you use, if you use Razor products or use teamspeak please let us know, also if you run any mods, list them and have you disabled them repaired and tried the game??  Please also be as specific as you can in what steps you have taken to fix this as well.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 59 of 65 (1,314 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I utterly despise Origin being forced upon players, so I'd just like to thank EA for that once again.  Anyway, after another awesome mandatory update to Origin in order to play games I've already purchasesd, DAI simply will not launch anymore.  Instead, I'm treated to a wonderful view of the Origin window disappearing only to reemerge moments later in lieue of DAI.  Thanks to Origin, I've disabled my anti-virus software, firewalls, discord, steam, etc.  Itr's funny.  Games that *don't* require Origin never seem to have issues like their Origin counterparts.  

So yeah.  DAI just won't work anymore despite the inclusion of no new mods since the last time I played, no new anti-virus software.... just another unecessary and unwanted update to Origin locking my purchased content behind DRM nonsense.

Message 60 of 65 (1,140 Views)