Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Save Corrupt, All Saves Corrupted PC

by riefenbot

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition Save Corrupt, All Saves Corrupted PC

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EDIT: SOLUTION IN FIRST REPLY / IF YOUR SAVES STILL WON'T SHOW UP THEN READ THIS

Alright, so I've played quite a bit already and rather thoroughly, made plenty of saves too. But at one point my PC starts acting up and lagging, so I quickly save and tab out to see what's going on, only to find my computer freezing/crashing. Had to restart my PC, but once I start DAI back up there no longer is a "continue" option in the main menu and if I choose "load" it just shows me one "corrupt save" instead of all my previous saves...

I haven't really freaked out (yet), but this might cause me to stop playing the game unfortunately since I don't want to start all over again, I really hope that there's still a way that I can recover it and keep playing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or maybe even better yet know a possible solution?

Message 1 of 22 (43,230 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice

Same thing happened to me last night. Luckily I found a fix! Go to the save directory (Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age Inquisition/save) and delete the .DAS file with the most recent timestamp (that's the only one that is corrupt and is keeping the game from seeing the rest of them). Hopefully you are like me and keep at least 2 or 3 different save files. Launch the game and the Continue option will be available again (you only sacrificed the most recent file).

View in thread

Message 2 of 22 (47,963 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Novice

Same thing happened to me last night. Luckily I found a fix! Go to the save directory (Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age Inquisition/save) and delete the .DAS file with the most recent timestamp (that's the only one that is corrupt and is keeping the game from seeing the rest of them). Hopefully you are like me and keep at least 2 or 3 different save files. Launch the game and the Continue option will be available again (you only sacrificed the most recent file).

Message 2 of 22 (47,964 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Many, many thanks, my friend! It worked and you've probably saved the whole of Dragon Age for me just there, and luckily responded pretty quickly as well so now I can live in peace again! Many thanks again, cheers! Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 3 of 22 (43,077 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

you are welcome hehe. I was almost ready to hang myself but luckily I figured out this workaround.

Message 4 of 22 (43,062 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah Confusedmileytongue: Well, proper good because I'm also sure that beside helping me this could also help a lot of others too now that it's out here!

Message 5 of 22 (43,028 Views)

★ Novice

I tried to go this route and had no luck. When I remove the most recent .das file all that happens when I run the game is that it shows no saves (even though there were about 10 saves, not including auto-save/quick-saves).

I also tried to start a new game and save a new file to see if it would create some sort of fix for all the save files. This route didn't work and just shows the new save if I deleted the previous corrupt file OR if I copy and paste the old file back into the new saves it shows that I have the new file AND the corrupt file.

I'm about 40 hours in and this really really sucks. Frown

Message 6 of 22 (42,625 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Another good idea is frequently to make copies of your saves.

I have a folder on a different drive where I copy my saves to. I also give these folders specific names with dates. In this way I can pick up this game again  if needed.

Message 7 of 22 (42,609 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Riefenbot, I had multiple saves too and they all got corrupted at the same time. Or that's what it looked like. I fixed it by starting a new game, go through the character creation and save the game. 

Then when loading the game, you will need to switch character. You should now be able to see your save games and be able to load the last save before the corrupted one.

Message 8 of 22 (42,488 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

hi there,

I remember one thing I did before finding the workaround was to create a new character and save the game. So at this point apparently I would have only 1 save game available. Then I quit the game and followed the route I described: I deleted the most recent .DAS file which I suspected was corrupt (since I remembered the time where my PC crashed). Then I launched the game and the rest of my 15 save games showed up again. So it seems you might need to create a new character to fix something in the profile and then follow the workaround I posted. Also, like other users are saying I now copy the entire Save folder to some other drive every so often for the ultimate backup.

Cheers.

Message 9 of 22 (42,430 Views)

★ Novice

Hey everyone, I just wanted to reply that I finally came back to it and was able to get my saves back after following yalls advice. I created a new game, saved that game, closed out and THEN I deleted the old corrupted save file. When I rebooted the game everything was good to go! 

Thank you all for the help!

Message 10 of 22 (42,060 Views)