Dragon Age: Inquisition - Language issues

by AbC6022a5100401

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Language issues

★★★ Newbie

I bought dragon age inquisition GOTY edition and went on to install it. When downloading it, it only gave me the option for Portuguese, even though, both my system and origin settings are all in English. When I got to the game, it was the expected mess. The sounds are all in English, but every text, dialogues, items and all, are in Portuguese. In game there is no option to change the language either. I tried going my way for the first hour, but trying to decipher the minds of the translators to figure out what was originally meant by the texts was painful.

I tried chatting with support but they couldn't help.

Does anyone have any info that could help me with that? I just want to play the game in its original language, or at least in a single language, not this messy double language deal.

When I bought witcher 3 for example, I can play the game in so many different languages, and they are actual full translations, not a mix of english and something else.

Thank you for reading through my rage Standard smile

Message 1 of 16 (15,688 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition - Language issues

★★★ Newbie

Unbelievable. Doing that actually works. What you need to do, if you have the "portuguese" version is the following:

Go to the data/win32/ folder and check the following folders: loc, loctext, locfacefx. They all should already have the english files en.sb and en.loc, but if they don't, download the english voice over (which shouldn't be necessary anyway). Then on the loctext folder, move both the br.sb and br.loc files to a backup folder, then rename the en.sb and en.loc to br.sb and br.loc. Make a backup of the en.sb and en.loc files just in case. Then, using an editor such as notepad++ (windows notepad won't work because it will mess up the files when it saves them), replace all occurrences of "/en/" to "/br/" on both files. 

And that's it. You get back to the original version of the game.

Thanks everyone who was concerned. If anyone tries this and it doesn't work, let me know and I can explain better if needed.

View in thread

Message 7 of 16 (16,596 Views)

All Replies

@AbC6022a5100401 under the extra contents tab, in the client, you should see the option for adding Dragon Age: Inquisition English Voice-Over pack. Add that (is free) and see if you have the subtitles and the english voices.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 16 (15,671 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@ivrognard Thanks, but it didn't help at all. The voice is already in English, and it didn't add the option for English subtitles either. I saw this extra content before, but had a feeling it wasn't going to do it. On the description it says it adds English subtitles for the dialogues, but I still can't change the subtitles language from Portuguese. It's funny that looking at the description of the game, Portuguese isn't even on the list of supported languages:

Supported languages
Deutsch (DE), English (US), Español (ES), Français (FR), Italiano, Polski, Русский язык

It just feels like I bought a faulty product. Tried playing a few minutes, but it's really hard to understand what the skill descriptions mean. And I couldn't even bear to look at the inventory yet. Was afraid to find a pair of boots translated as gloves, like in other games.

Message 3 of 16 (15,653 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @AbC6022a5100401

I am really sorry for those issues with language in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Where did you bought the game? From one of our Trusted Retailers? If you`ve purchased the game, using your Origin account, and the language is missing, I suggest you to get in touch with EA Advisors directly on this. 

Cheers,

Archi

Archi.png
Message 4 of 16 (15,648 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello @EA_Archi . I bought the game from the origin website. I tried chatting with the advisors, but they were unable to help. They said that if buying from origin it is region locked and that I should try buying it outside from someone that sells it in English. I was quite outraged by the "solution". Basically they are forcing non-natives living here to play in Portuguese.

I googled around for this problem and found a Russian that had the same issue and he was able to solve it by renaming some of the english files and editing on notepad by replacing /en/ /ru/ on some and /en/ by /ru/ on others. I tried the same but using /br/ instead or /ru/ but it didn't work. It is quite frustrating because the English files all seem to be there, but it just completely refuses to allow you to choose them.

Message 5 of 16 (15,635 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Just realized using notepad was not a good idea. Even if I keep the original working Portuguese file, just opening it and saving it will make the game get stuck on the loading screen. So maybe the Russian guy solution could work if I use a decent editor. Too bad I only backed up the br file, not the en file, so I will have to download it all over again a third time (maybe repair works). Then I can try it and see if it works, which I hope it will.

Message 6 of 16 (15,629 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Unbelievable. Doing that actually works. What you need to do, if you have the "portuguese" version is the following:

Go to the data/win32/ folder and check the following folders: loc, loctext, locfacefx. They all should already have the english files en.sb and en.loc, but if they don't, download the english voice over (which shouldn't be necessary anyway). Then on the loctext folder, move both the br.sb and br.loc files to a backup folder, then rename the en.sb and en.loc to br.sb and br.loc. Make a backup of the en.sb and en.loc files just in case. Then, using an editor such as notepad++ (windows notepad won't work because it will mess up the files when it saves them), replace all occurrences of "/en/" to "/br/" on both files. 

And that's it. You get back to the original version of the game.

Thanks everyone who was concerned. If anyone tries this and it doesn't work, let me know and I can explain better if needed.

Message 7 of 16 (16,597 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well, apart from random parts of the game that showed up in Portuguese, it works fine until you get to DLC content (probably all the random Portuguese parts are related to DLC). 

When going into any DLC content you are cursed again with that awful translated version of the game with no way out. I would gladly pay 10$ for a "change your language" DLC. Because I will probably spend 500$ worth of my time before I fix this language issue or I just realize it's impossible.

Actually, if I had the option to pay 100$ to redeem myself from the sin of living outside the US and get the untranslated version to work with my DLC's I would gladly pay it.

Don't know when or if I will start trying to figure out how to fix my game so I can play the DLC content I bought (too many headaches from other sources going on already), but if anyone already has experience with changing the language and has successfully done a full unlock into English, I will happily hear what you have to say.

Btw, contacting customer support again was fruitless.

Message 8 of 16 (15,478 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello I have the same problem.

Tried renaming and editing on Notepad++, but I must have done something wrong, because now my game runs in english but there are no voices and voice animations

Message 9 of 16 (14,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks ABC6022A5100401 you helped me a lot with this tip, after so many different attempts only this really helped me.

Message 10 of 16 (12,506 Views)