Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Game of the Year Edition wont launch

by Leora85

Original Post

Dragon Age Inquisition Game of the Year Edition wont launch

★★★ Newbie

I bought Dragon Age Inquisition, the Game of the Year Edition in February this year (2021) and haven't been able to play it once!! When I try to launch it most of the time my screen flashes black like its trying to load it but then automatically closes.

I've tried all the troubleshooting suggested on forums and online but nothing seems to fix it! I brought it on Steam, downloaded it via both Steam and the Origin stores multiple times (at like 3 times on each store and it takes up to 3hrs each time).

Ive added it as an exception on my Computer Protection, AVG, but still nothing. Ive tried limiting background programs and turning off unnecessary ones as suggested on a forum but noting! the furthest I've gotten to launching ever was choosing my race, class, gender and background, the game automatically closes after I've okayed my chooses, I don't even get to the first cut scene!!

Someone please help me! I just want to play what I've purchased

Message 1 of 4 (450 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem.  I've hard restarted and uninstalled it a few times still won't work 

Message 2 of 4 (420 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same here friends!

first i got this message 

"GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to

badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an

design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU:

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 ", Driver 34475

ive been reading a bit of the old posts about this problem an apparently playing it in "windowed fullscreen" is supposed to help

maybe it did because the error message went away but now the game freezes 15 seconds into character creation

Message 3 of 4 (408 Views)

Hero

@KaraSummers (and with the same issue, I'm assuming, @Blacksire19 ). The first issue you mentioned sounds like the classic issue with Avast/AVG (something that can't differentiate between a game and malware is probably not something you want in charge of keeping you safe from malware), sometimes people think they've added exceptions but they haven't added the right type or they've missed certain things. Best way to be sure it's not interfering is to turn it off (or stop using it, which is what I would suggest. Even windows defender is better). Since you have the game on Steam, you would need to add exceptions (universal, not just scanning) to Steam, Origin, the game and the game folder in Documents (where your saves live). 

Manging to get to character creation suggests you might have an issue other than the AVG/Avast one. Could you (and also @flabbelgast, who seems to have another issue altogether) generate and post a dxdiag (explained in the spoilered part of this sticky. You no longer need to do the hastebin part, just attach the .txt file to your reply, we no longer have to download them to read them).

Also @flabbelgast people with your issue and similar graphics cards have had success with lowering graphics settings, using windowed fullscreen or lowering the clock speed on factory overclocked cards (I would try the latter of those options last). Windowed fullscreen didn't completely help you it seems, but maybe try lower settings? Several of the old threads about your issue have setting suggestions that worked for other people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 4 (363 Views)