Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Descent DLC loading screen crash

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition Descent DLC loading screen crash

★ Novice

I downloaded then Descent dlc and played it for a couple hours. When i tried to load a save in the deep roads, the game would be stuck in and endless loading screen (the one with the picture of the deep roads) and then stop loading and freeze. I can load saves prior to the descent, but now I can't even enter the deep roads from the previous saves as it just goes to the loading screen and freezes. I tried repairing the dlc and game, uninstalling and reinstalling, running as adminstrator. Basically, the dlc doesn't work or load for me anymore. Please help.

Message 1 of 13 (18,589 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie

thanks for the ideas. I made a much simpler "workaround" to it though. I loaded a "good" (aka Skyhold) save, then entered the deep roads and just played through the whole DLC in one afternoon without closing the game or loading again from outside. I don't know if that ACTUALLY solved the deeper problem, but as I saved at Skyhold in the end again (and that worked without problems), I don't care - DLC finished is DLC finished.

View in thread

Message 8 of 13 (13,323 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

can somebody please * help us with this

Message 2 of 13 (17,879 Views)

Hero

I'm assuming you're on PC. Do you have any mods? Generally they won't prevent the game from loading an area (they cause crashes in DLCs at certain points or when accessing stores etc, usually), but doesn't hurt to ask.
Could you post a dxdiag, might give some clues as to why you're having issues. 
@methdrinker Have you tried repairing the game? I know the OP mentions it, but that doesn't mean you have, so again it doesn't hurt to ask. Have you also tried running as administrator, and uninstalling and reinstalling the DLC? (If the main game isn't having issues, try just doing the DLC, much less to download). Sometimes when DLC installs things can go a bit hinky, at it doesn't work correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 13 (17,870 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having a similar issue... I cant get it to load past the loading screen it goes to the load screen it has the reading stuff then when it goes to the black screen it freezes up. ive tried everything I possibly can and I cant get descent or trespasser to work.

Message 4 of 13 (17,838 Views)

Hero

@Yol36 What system are you on? What have you tried? If you're on PC, please provide a dxdiag.

If you're on PC and using mods, remove your mod folder to enter the DLC area (in the case of Trespasser, this is especially true if you're using a mod that changes the formal attire).

For Trespasser, some people have had issues if they've had a DLC mount selected in the stables. Try switching your mount to a basic one, such as the Fereldan horse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 5 of 13 (17,829 Views)

★★★ Newbie

casually replaying DAI after some time, forgot about the problem with the descent DLC loading issue and ran straight into it again.

short description as above: played descent for some hours and stopped due to work, loading to deep roads results in deep roads loading screen, then a short freeze and a crash to desktop without error message. non-deep roads saves can be loaded without issues.

on PC, no mods installed, drivers are up to date, origin game repair does not help, setting graphics down does not help, reinstalling and running origin as admin does also not help.

hastebin is down for some reason, so here is dxdiag on tinyupload:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03093401559844438998

you would've thought that after almost three years, the issue should have been solved, but that does not seem to be the case, which i find almost funny.

thanks in advance

Message 6 of 13 (13,374 Views)

@Zerkarion 

Sadly nothing jumps out in your DxDiag file as a major red flag.  You do list several DAI related crashes at the end of the report, and unless I am missing things because I don't speak/read German, I don't see anything major there.  The one thing you may try, is an old Mass Effect 2 trick, in that you load into the game on a good save, and then try to load up your desired save in the DLC area.  Also as a note, you have an Intel graphics chip, make sure DAI is set to ONLY run on the main Nvidia graphics cause that will also cause a crash. 

You may also try a clean boot, and make sure your Anti-virus is disabled when trying to play...you can re-enable it afterwards. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 13 (13,356 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thanks for the ideas. I made a much simpler "workaround" to it though. I loaded a "good" (aka Skyhold) save, then entered the deep roads and just played through the whole DLC in one afternoon without closing the game or loading again from outside. I don't know if that ACTUALLY solved the deeper problem, but as I saved at Skyhold in the end again (and that worked without problems), I don't care - DLC finished is DLC finished.

Message 8 of 13 (13,324 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I have the same problem. Opening a save in Skyhold, then going to the Deep Roads through the War Room or through the Storm Coast causes the game to freeze. There is no way to continue to Deep Roads. I have played this game for many years, on several different computers, and this has always been a problem. I usually don't even bother. I have always played as a male. This game I am playing as a female elf, so I wanted to take her to the Deep Roads. This should have been fixed and patched by now!

NOTE: I was able to use a work around. First I saved the game right before going to the Deep Roads. Remember the version number in the file named "package.mft" located in the  folder "Dragon Age Inquisition\Update\Patch_ModManagerMerge". Using that number, change it in file with the same name in the folder "Update\Patch". Then cut the whole "Patch_ModManagerMerge" folder and paste it somewhere safe, so you can put it back when your done. If you don't change the number, when you load the game again, you will get the error "The Save Data Was Created With a Newer Version of the Game. Please Download The Latest Patch and Try Again."

After you go to the Deep Roads, save your game again and exit the game. Then change the version number back in "package.mft" in the Patch folder and move the "Patch_ModManagerMerge" back to the Update folder or you can merge it again if you wish. You should be able to load the game and continue to play it.

Message 9 of 13 (12,853 Views)

★ Guide

I would like to add another note. If you are using only Frosty Mod Manager, you will notice that the version numbers in the package.mft files I mentioned above are the same. All you have to do before entering, is save the game and exit, then move the ModData folder, located in the folder "Dragon Age Inquisition", to a safe place. Load the game again using Origin before entering the Deep Roads. Save the game again in the Deep Roads when you have control and exit. Move the ModData folder back again and run with Frosty Mod Manager. You should be able to continue to play it. I hope this helps!

Message 10 of 13 (12,536 Views)