Re: Dragon Age Inquisition: Crash

by Kimbal

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Dragon Age Inquisition: Crash

★★ Novice

Game has been playing fine for me, but I've had 3 crashes and I've now narrowed down the common element.  Every time I've fought a Despair Demon, the game crashes and goes to a black screen.

Is this a known problem?

Message 1 of 10 (2,163 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Alchemist7,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried the repair and disabling the in game Origins app.  Didn't work.  I put the graphics settings on low and that seems to have worked!  Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the help.

FYI, I'm normally running on Ultra graphics settings, running the latest Nvidia drivers with a GTX970.  It runs silky smooth, cept for the problem I was reporting here.  My point in sharing this information was to let everyone know what graphic settings were causing the crash whenever I was fighting Despair Demons.

Edit: Don't even understand the following rant reply from tx3000.  I haven't seen a troll in the game but you can always find them on the net.

View in thread

Message 4 of 10 (2,104 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Anyone experiencing a similar problem?  I've repeated this problem by encountering despair demons in different locations.  I guess I'm screwed if I have to fight a despair demon, so far I've been just able to look for other encounters.

Message 2 of 10 (2,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Not familiar with this problem.

These seem to be the common fixes,

Right-click on DA:I in your Origin game library, and choose 'Repair game'.

In Origin settings, uncheck 'Enable origin in game'.  

Also, it might be worth temporary setting your video options to the 'low' preset, in case it is hardware/driver related as well.

Message 3 of 10 (2,114 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Alchemist7,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried the repair and disabling the in game Origins app.  Didn't work.  I put the graphics settings on low and that seems to have worked!  Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the help.

FYI, I'm normally running on Ultra graphics settings, running the latest Nvidia drivers with a GTX970.  It runs silky smooth, cept for the problem I was reporting here.  My point in sharing this information was to let everyone know what graphic settings were causing the crash whenever I was fighting Despair Demons.

Edit: Don't even understand the following rant reply from tx3000.  I haven't seen a troll in the game but you can always find them on the net.

Message 4 of 10 (2,105 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have this problem as well. Same video card as you. I try to kill them first now because it's a pain in the **bleep** bug.

Message 5 of 10 (1,116 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just wanted to add that I am also experiencing this bug.  Happens with Despair Demons in SP and MP, and occasionally dragons in SP.

Is the only way around this really setting the graphics to low?

Message 6 of 10 (1,044 Views)

I wonder if this is related to the fact that the last 500mb of memory on the 970 is different and lower quality, causing severe issues with the speed that it can access it.  This game isn't well optimized and if you are running it fairly high in graphics it may be throwing stuff in that secton and then causing crashes cause it can't access it as fast as it needs too...

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-memory-issue-fully-explained/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 10 (1,016 Views)

★★ Novice

I have exactly this same issue, and it's not a nice polite "crash to desktop"--it flatlines my GPU and I have to do a hard reboot in order to bring it back up.  EXTREMELY annoying.  It was beginning to make me fear I had hardware problems.  Everything else in the game runs perfectly, ZERO problems except with Despair Demons.

Message 8 of 10 (943 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm glad to know this is a known issue. I recently upgraded from a GTX670, where I put over 200 hours into the game without a crash, to a GTX970 and noticed this crash happening within two hours of playing the new DLC. Those damn despair demons were annoying enough before, but now I dread seeing them. I'm just glad to know it's not my new hardware that is the problem. I hope Bioware and/or Nvidia are aware and working on a fix.

Message 9 of 10 (836 Views)

★ Guide

You shouldn't have to set ALL your graphic settings to low, just a couple. Postprocessing at low is probably the easiest one to work with, and it causes only minor degradation in graphics.

Message 10 of 10 (803 Views)