Dragon Age Inquisition; Black screen into a force restart (quad core)

by gudanzuki

Original Post

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition; Black screen into a force restart (quad core)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Alright, I'm back to say that none of that worked. I enjoyed 3 hours of misguidedly hopeful gaming before it crashed, again, while reading something in a menu.

dxdiag:

http://hastebin.com/yewikiledu.tex

Repeat, issue:

Sudden black screen, sometimes accompanied by a quick buzz sound right before. No way to exit from black screen except to force shut down. (CTRL+ALT+DEL and all the other, usual key commands are inoperative).

Black screen is random/not triggered by anything in particular -- can be during intensive scenes or not at all, or right after loading.

Tried:

• Logging using MSI afterburner. Nothing appears to be overheating, but it looks like it's reaching 7 GB ram. See screenshots (most recent log, after the very last crash): http://imgur.com/a/13uWN
  • Ran other games, no problems
  • Running in windowed mode
  • Optimized using Nvidia GeForce
  • Uninstalled (using a cleaning software) and clean reinstalled video drivers
  • Brought a few quality settings down, in-game: AO to SSAO, Post-process AA & Q to High, Texture to Ultra
  • Underclocked memory clock using MSI AB, first to -17, then -150

As stated, the last three things seemed to get it working smoothly for a few hours before black screen hit again.

I'm not experiencing any other problems -- no lag, no FPS drops, etc.

P.S. I don't use any overlay programs, even Origin's is turned off.

Message 71 of 77 (916 Views)

Hero

@SystemsOperator I see you have some Razer gear. If you have any Razer software running (or installed), you might want to stop that, as the game has been known to have issues with Razer stuff in the past (and several issues seem to be rearing their heads again recently, so why not that one?). Actually, you might want to try doing a clean boot in case there's something else running in the background causing these issues. 

Sorry for the abrupt reply, but I really need sleep Tongue out Hopefully someone with a more functional brain will come along and can be of more help. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 72 of 77 (902 Views)

★★★ Novice

That is fascinating — you may be entirely right! I just got a new Razer keyboard the other day, but I didn't think a keyboard could cause such a problem. To my knowledge it looked like it only installed default drivers and I don't see any Razer stuff running in the driver bar. 

But now that you say it, the timing is coincidental; worth checking.

Message 73 of 77 (895 Views)

★★★ Novice

Unfortunately this wasn't it. I uninstalled the Razer software (turns out it was old anyway, from an old mouse). Also started up in a clean boot. No luck. After ~2 hours, it crashed. With a new development, at that! BLUE screen instead of black, this time.

Message 74 of 77 (887 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi, @SystemsOperator

The reason I didn't come back to this thread is I gave up on trying to make this game work on my pc. 

Last thing I did was I formatted my pc, clean installing Windows 10, but it didn't work either.

I'm currently saving money to try and buy another video card and PSU. If it works then, I'll post it here (I still don't know when I'll be able to buy them, but I expect to do that early next year)

If you find a fix somewhere, please post it here, and I'll do the same. Standard smile

Message 75 of 77 (864 Views)

★★★ Novice
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Just wanna echo what you said for anyone else out there looking: unfortunately nothing has worked. Not the suggestions in this thread nor any other.

I don't feel like taking more chances with my computer having to be forced to shutdown every few hours, so that makes the game essentially unplayable. No answers from EA anywhere. I haven't returned it only because I got it on sale really cheap. It's not worth the hassle and I got a few hours of fun out of it at least.

But yeah, until further notice, I give up.
Message 76 of 77 (853 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Same here my pc is very new and one of those touch screen ones all updated and the graphics updated but no matter what I do I keep getting the black screen every 20 mins every time I play mass effect all three games dragon age all three games same thing jade empire seems ok and star wars to but my favourite all time games I cannot play cos of the black screen issue happens I have to force shut down every time I cannot go to windows shut down normally or end task I asked every one including origin/steam/discord/EA/SWTOR

don't wanna risk

damaging my pc more please I need help even EA won't help I talk to the advisers and every time they put me on hold I get the info they need they hang up on me or I get disconnected so I get no where

before everything worked perfectly fine but now only recently I get this issue

has tried everything

Message 77 of 77 (729 Views)