Dragon Age Inquisition; Black screen into a force restart (quad core)

by gudanzuki

Original Post

Re: Dragon Age Inquisition; Black screen into a force restart (quad core)

★★★★ Novice

@Gorath_the_Elder wrote:

@gudanzuki wrote:

I guess I will have to wait then, Thank you .

Are you running any thermal monitor to track potential internal heating?  If not, you should download one and install it.  There are quite a number available for free from Major Geeks, for instance. 

Yes i have, and the internal heat isn't the problem, it doesnt get past 65c while playing. 

Thank you for pointing that out tho, it might be the problem for other users.

Message 11 of 77 (3,097 Views)

★ Novice

I got the same problem, except it happens aprox. once every 2 hours. Got the newest AMD drivers. No difference if I use Dx11 or Mantle.

What most annoing is you are force to do a forced restart of your computer. I've many harddrives that way.

I7-3930k

16gb ram

AMD R290

Win7 64bit

Message 12 of 77 (2,946 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had this issue very persistently. The only thing that resolved it was when I did two things, a verify of the game files, and lowered Ambient Occlusion from HBAO to SSAO. I believe the latter is what did it, other people in other threads said this stopped it for them as well. I haven't had a restart in the past about 5 hours of gameplay when they used to happen every 10 minutes.

Message 13 of 77 (2,781 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for the post, Darthus. Just out of interest, what card/rig are you using?

Edit:Checked posting history: "quad core i5-750, GTX 970 and 8GB Ram"

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 14 of 77 (2,769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
I'm getting this issue as well. Both monitors will go black and forces me restart. I've noticed it happens durring combat and mostly while completing fade rifts.

i5-4670K
GTX 970
8GB of RAM

I've reinstalled the game and Nvidia drivers several times and it doesn't fix anything.
Message 15 of 77 (2,670 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Darthus wrote:

I had this issue very persistently. The only thing that resolved it was when I did two things, a verify of the game files, and lowered Ambient Occlusion from HBAO to SSAO. I believe the latter is what did it, other people in other threads said this stopped it for them as well. I haven't had a restart in the past about 5 hours of gameplay when they used to happen every 10 minutes.

I have done that , and was able to play for approx 2 hours, and then it crashed again.

Message 16 of 77 (2,578 Views)

★ Novice

I've noticed no patterns in the black screen crashes. Sometimes is during a rift or a cutsceene, sometimes it's when looking at gear/skills. I hope there will be a patch soon to fix this issue.

Message 17 of 77 (2,334 Views)

★★★ Novice
Similar crash for me. Game will run great for a while, then will crash and power down reboot is needed.

System is,
I7 3770
win7 64
nvidia geforce 970 gtx
16gigs ram
Message 18 of 77 (2,245 Views)

★★ Novice

Seems to be a problem related to the GTX 970, or possibly just with conflicts in the high/ultra. I purchased a GTX 970 this morning so I could play at highter settings and I'm having some constant black screen crashes about halfway through closing a rift. Location of the rift doesn't seem to be making a difference.

As an FYI I played the game for 10+ hrs. on my GTX 660 with not a single crash, stutter or slowdown. Just low graphics settings. I also stress tested the GTX 970 for over an hour just incase it was a video card problem but didn't have a single issue.

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
  • 16GB Ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Message 19 of 77 (2,191 Views)

★★ Novice

UPDATE: I tried chaning the following:

• Ambient Occlusion to SSAO (from (HBAO Full)
  • Effects Quality to High (from Ultra)
  • Mesh Quality to High (from Ultra)
  • Post Processing Qualith to High (from Ultra)
  • Tesselation Quality to Medium (from Ultra)

For the ost part Amient Occlusion seems to play the biggest part in my crashes as I had indipendently changed some of the settings previously to incrase to a steady frame-rate in some of the busier areas. Changing to SSAO seems to have temporarilty resolved the crash as I completed two rifts with no issues at all. Good enough for now until a patch comes out, I'll advise if anything changes.

Message 20 of 77 (2,183 Views)