Re: Does the game really deserves the 9 out of 10 it received from GameSpot?

by nomadicmouse

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Does the game really deserves the 9 out of 10 it received from GameSpot?

★★ Novice

I wached the review in the Gamespot abd it apeared to be great game to me, but this game is very expensive and i want to know some opinions before i buy it.

Message 1 of 10 (673 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I think it's a superb game, though it does have some problems.

The good:
*Tons of exploration in massive areas. Adventure is everywhere!
*Excellent combat (especially on HARD difficulty where you need tactics and consumable management to survive)
*Very nice and imersive environments and graphics.
*Lots of diversity in things to do (war room, exploration, combat, diplomacy, conversing, crafting/upgrades, puzzles, etc.).

*Interesting characters and dialog with convincing voice-acting.

The not so good:
* Some immersion breaking bugs here and there such as your party members running all over furnature while you chat with someone, rams running into walls, enemies occasionally respawning on top of you.
* More severe bugs reported by some players (such as crashes -- I haven't had any in the 20 hours I've played so far)

* Inventory management and equipment upgrades/comparisons is cumbersome (but still way better than Skyrim)
* If you're playing on PC, the controller is the best way to play the game (that says a lot, none of it good)
* The tactical camera reticle can't traverse even the smallest cliffs

Overall, it is clear how much of an enormous effort went into crafting the experience. There are some issues, none of them seemingly major (at least for me) that will almost certainly be worked out in the near-future with some patches.

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (581 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Apprentice

Wait for a patch; otherwise you'll just have pain and suffering.

Message 2 of 10 (628 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

To me yes!

Message 3 of 10 (614 Views)

★ Apprentice

If you can sneak past the Main Menu Boss, then I think the game is worth an 7.8 so far.  However, I have only played for about 10 hours.  It would be higher if I wasn't constantly watching my task manager hoping the game doesn't get to 96% CPU usage and freeze.

Message 4 of 10 (606 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Considering Gamestop is a pay for review site I would not trust it at all, nor any review site for that matter...

But from what I have played and seen of the game, if you have a medium to high spec rig it looks and runs spectacularly minus the usual game bugs.

Combat is a bit buggy with the new attack system for PC, since you have to left click and hold for auto attacks and the inability to move while attacking makes it feel really blocky and weird for melee classes.

Point in fact is you will be attacking something and mid swing it will run away and you play cat and mouse while it kills other things.

Message 5 of 10 (593 Views)

★★★★ Novice

At this point....No.  There are many PC players who cant even get the game to run on their systems.  I'm one of them.  So in this case I guess I would rate the game a 0 out of 10..

I wish I could say that this was a unusual experience when buying a game, but now a days game developers do not properly test their products to make sure they work well.  PC's are very widely diverse as far as how they are made and how they run.  That's part of the problem, but also part of the appeal of PC's.

Message 6 of 10 (592 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

I think so, but folks would expect me to say that. Standard smile

If you're a PC player who is concerned about performance, please note that if you buy through Origin you can use the Great Game Guarantee to return the game within 24 hours of starting it, if performance is unacceptable on your machine: http://help.ea.com/au/article/what-s-the-great-games-guarantee/

Just as a reminder, these threads can get ugly sometimes as folks try to air grievances, so please keep it civil.

Thanks. 

@oragious, just to check did you update your drivers to the newer beta ones? They can help with directx issues, though obviously it's not a 100% catch-all fix for everyone. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 7 of 10 (585 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

What Oganious said.  Maybe if, say, the tutorial level had been released as a beta, a LOT of this could've been caught.  Frown  Look how broken ESO was at launch, (different company, but hear me out,) despite EXTENSIVE beta testing, (of which I was a part from the first to the last.)  If all of THAT testing didn't prevent a badly-broken game at launch...

Message 8 of 10 (583 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The Great Game Guarentee isn't terribly kind for someone who launches the game, plays for a few hours, goes to bed, and has a long day of work the next day and may not even be HOME before that 24-hour point passes....

Message 9 of 10 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I think it's a superb game, though it does have some problems.

The good:
*Tons of exploration in massive areas. Adventure is everywhere!
*Excellent combat (especially on HARD difficulty where you need tactics and consumable management to survive)
*Very nice and imersive environments and graphics.
*Lots of diversity in things to do (war room, exploration, combat, diplomacy, conversing, crafting/upgrades, puzzles, etc.).

*Interesting characters and dialog with convincing voice-acting.

The not so good:
* Some immersion breaking bugs here and there such as your party members running all over furnature while you chat with someone, rams running into walls, enemies occasionally respawning on top of you.
* More severe bugs reported by some players (such as crashes -- I haven't had any in the 20 hours I've played so far)

* Inventory management and equipment upgrades/comparisons is cumbersome (but still way better than Skyrim)
* If you're playing on PC, the controller is the best way to play the game (that says a lot, none of it good)
* The tactical camera reticle can't traverse even the smallest cliffs

Overall, it is clear how much of an enormous effort went into crafting the experience. There are some issues, none of them seemingly major (at least for me) that will almost certainly be worked out in the near-future with some patches.

Message 10 of 10 (582 Views)