Re: Directx function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed

by NexusEFR

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Directx function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed

★★ Novice

I've been getting this error whenever I try running the game ever since the latest windows update. I don't know if the update is the culprit, all I know is know I can't go murderhoboing around Thedas anymore because every time I boot the game, it freezes almost immediately (sometimes my cursor changes to the ingame one and a loading icon appears), that frelling message pops up, and then the game crashes to desktop when I click the OK.

I tried everything I could think of; running repair, installing several older GPU drivers, swearing, uninstalling/reinstalling the game, reinstalling directx, crying, searching online (my google-fu was too weak), trying to force the game to run in windowed mode (which was a solution to a similar problem in other frostbite games), but nothing has worked, so I'm hoping someone here can help me get back to being a magic murder hobo, as The Maker intended.

Hastebin info

Message 1 of 11 (11,781 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I wrote all this, but then decided to doublecheck over at the geforce forums, just to make sure I wasn't a liar. Turns out I was. So instead of deleting everything, saying "Problems Solved!", and wasting the minutes I spent crafting this reply, I'm leaving everything. Solution at the bottom.

mcsupersport wrote:

@@Doctor_Explosion

You should try a clean boot of the system, to help weed out if it is a program interference or other issue...

Tried that, nothing changed

mcsupersport wrote:

@@Doctor_Explosion

I also note that you have a Intel video chip listed in your Dxdiag....double, triple check that it isn't in some way being used instead of the Nvidia card.  Make sure all the cables are plugged into the Nvidia card instead of main board, or make sure the Intel is disabled as much as possible through settings and such.  DAI will not run or not run well at all if it somehow uses the Intel *.

Checked, and that's not the problem either

mcsupersport wrote:

@Doctor_Explosion

Double check that Origin and DAI are set to run as administrator, checking at their .exe in their install locations.

They both are.

I'm 99.9% sure that it's the update + my nividia driver + this being a Frostbite engine game, because I found a thread with two other people that had the exact same problem as me, only with Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefield 3 & 4, over at the geforce forum. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find answer over there. Except I frelling did!

The solution was to switch my monitor cable from dvi-d to hdmi. I never would've thought of that in a million years!

View in thread

Message 5 of 11 (14,332 Views)

All Replies

If I read your DxDiag right, you have AVG anti-virus....either uninstall it, or triple check you have your global exclusion/exceptions set for Origin, DAI and DAI saves folder, you can see the sticky at top of forum about this crashing DAI.

IF that doesn't work, you also list several Windowsupdate failures in your report, so you may want to see about fixing all updates with windows, and triple checking that everything installs correctly.

IF that doesn't work, triple check your compatibility mode settings are the same for Origin as they are for DAI, make sure everything is running as administrator and you may even want to try compatibility mode Win7 lastest upgrade.

IF that doesn't work, post back here and we can move to something else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 11 (11,755 Views)

★★ Novice

Actually, I've never had AVG on this machine, only malware bytes and avira (currently using MWB), I had already sorted out the windows update failures before discovering this new * , and as far as I can tell the compatibility modes for Origin and DA:I are the same and I tried running DA:I in compatibility mode for Win 8, 7, and even Vista just in case that worked somehow.

Message 3 of 11 (11,740 Views)

@Doctor_Explosion

Ah, I see I miss read, it was showing a preradar memory leak on avguard.exe which I found was for a different antivirus product, I read it as AVGuard...lol, oh well, need to slow down on my reading and comprehension sometimes.

You should try a clean boot of the system, to help weed out if it is a program interference or other issue...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I also note that you have a Intel video chip listed in your Dxdiag....double, triple check that it isn't in some way being used instead of the Nvidia card.  Make sure all the cables are plugged into the Nvidia card instead of main board, or make sure the Intel is disabled as much as possible through settings and such.  DAI will not run or not run well at all if it somehow uses the Intel crap.

Double check that Origin and DAI are set to run as administrator, checking at their .exe in their install locations.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 4 of 11 (11,712 Views)

★★ Novice

I wrote all this, but then decided to doublecheck over at the geforce forums, just to make sure I wasn't a liar. Turns out I was. So instead of deleting everything, saying "Problems Solved!", and wasting the minutes I spent crafting this reply, I'm leaving everything. Solution at the bottom.

mcsupersport wrote:

@@Doctor_Explosion

Tried that, nothing changed

mcsupersport wrote:

@@Doctor_Explosion

I also note that you have a Intel video chip listed in your Dxdiag....double, triple check that it isn't in some way being used instead of the Nvidia card.  Make sure all the cables are plugged into the Nvidia card instead of main board, or make sure the Intel is disabled as much as possible through settings and such.  DAI will not run or not run well at all if it somehow uses the Intel *.

Checked, and that's not the problem either

mcsupersport wrote:

@Doctor_Explosion

They both are.

I'm 99.9% sure that it's the update + my nividia driver + this being a Frostbite engine game, because I found a thread with two other people that had the exact same problem as me, only with Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefield 3 & 4, over at the geforce forum. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find answer over there. Except I frelling did!

The solution was to switch my monitor cable from dvi-d to hdmi. I never would've thought of that in a million years!

Message 5 of 11 (14,333 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, A solution is also in the nvidia control panel, forcing to detect the screen, in multiple screens configuration, my screen is not shown. Then click on the screen, then blink and "Directx" will work again in all games. I hope it helps, it's an update failure of windows 10 FCU..

BB

Message 6 of 11 (10,899 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This solution working perfectly.
I never thought that it can be problem in case that I have only one monitor.
Many thx NexusEFR !!!

Message 7 of 11 (10,139 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nexus, I have been struggling with this problem for quite a while. This fixed it perfectly. Man I can't thank you enough!

Tom D.

Message 8 of 11 (9,792 Views)

★★★ Novice

Please, teach me how do this... I try everything but the problem still alive...  Where i found this function? In Nvidia Panel?

Message 9 of 11 (6,861 Views)

Switching cable is a hardware change....change the cable from your computer to your monitor to HDMI cable....  You may not have that option if you have certain monitors or Cards, but that was the change that fixed it for him.

Message 10 of 11 (6,851 Views)