DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by yanquis1972

Original Post

Re: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★ Novice

I switched to fullscreen windowed mode, and it seemed to help.  Of course, with an intermittent problem is hard to know for sure if the problem is gone.  But I did put about 3 hours in tonight with many dialogs and no crashes.

Message 91 of 169 (109,606 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I think I may have fixed it. I have the same message that would pop up within 3 min - 3 hours with no rhyme or reason. I just finished a four hour session with no error message and at full detail/resolution/quality/mesh/etc.

Anyway, here is what I did:

1) On your task bar, search for your game that's sending you the message. It should give you a list of results before you finish typing. You could also locate the desktop icon.

2) Once you have done either of those, right click on the result or icon and select "Open file location".

3) This should open a new screne with a couple of files, some programs and something along the lines of Gamename.exe, where Gamename is the name of the game giving you trouble.

4) Find the folder named "_Installer" and open it (double left click).

5) Inside that folder should be more folders and more programs. Open the folder "directx".

6) Inside that I found 2 foulders. Open the folder "redlist".

7) You should find around 5 or so programs inside. Open/run (double left click) "DXSETUP.exe".

8) A new windo should open with the title "Installing Microsoft(R) DirectX(R)" and "Welcome to setup for DirectX". There should be a paragraph followed by "MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS". Read them if you wish. Either way, press agree, it's the only way to proceed. Left click "I accept the agreement" once and then left click "Next" once.

9) The new page in the same window should say something along the lines of "This install package will search for...". Essentially, this program will search for and install updates for your DirectX software. Click next.

10) Wait for the install to complete itself and you're done.

Hope this helps!

Message 92 of 169 (109,437 Views)

★★ Novice

So I haven't actually been able to play my copy yet.  When I first got it I would go to play, get a black load screen with a flashing icon in the corner for maybe 20 seconds or less, and then it would crash to desktop.  No error message, just completely gone.  I did some hard drive cleanup earlier today and decided to try again just for giggles, and it still crashed but now I'm getting this message.  I tried running dxsetup.exe but that didn't change anything.  All my drivers are up to date.  I know there have been suggestions in this thread for settings to change in game but as I've never even gotten as far as a menu I can't really try that.  The second time I tried, after turning off Origin in game, I got the same error message and a little popup from my computer saying my video card had crashed but recovered.  My video card isn't the greatest I know (GeForce GT 630M) but systemrequirementslab.com says it meets the minimum requirements.  I'm not completely clueless, but I'm also not the most tech savvy person out there.  I'm not sure what else I can try.

Message 93 of 169 (109,244 Views)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946/en-gb

Microsoft has an issue on Win7 machines that if the GPU is busy and doesn't respond to the Op system, even if it is still working, that it decides the GPU has locked up and has to be recovered, thereby crashing the program.  There is a fix that will probably help you, but you will need to read the Microsoft page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 94 of 169 (109,235 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So has anyone found out what's up???

I played through like 30 hours before and now it crashed every 10 minutes or so. What the f?

Message 95 of 169 (109,221 Views)

★★ Novice

Well that's embarassing.  My problem was an incredibly easy fix.

Whenever I first have problems with a game I update drivers, which is why I, you know, assumed my drivers were up to date.  I update them by going into device manager and right clicking and selecting Update Drivers.  Which has worked before (Tomb Raider did the same crash to desktop immediately thing, which turned out to be an out of date audio driver of all things, which was fixed using this update method).  Well, shockingly, using Windows to update drivers, even manually like that, not the most reliable.  After fiddling around with some settings in the Nvidia control panel, I got an error telling me my drivers were out of date and exactly which version I needed at minimum to play the game.  Download those from geforce.com directly (and download their program to auto update drivers independently of Windows) and voila, functioning game.  A few cut scenes are a little laggy here and there, and the load screens take forever (I'm talking a full minute or longer) but the game play itself functions just fine so far.  I didn't play past the prologue, so maybe issues will crop up if I play for longer periods, but so far so good.

So the moral of the story is never trust Windows.  I'm assuming most people here know better than I do how to properly update drivers (y'all seem way more tech savvy than I am in general).  But just in case anyone else updates the same way I was doing prior to this...yeah, check with the manufacturer directly.  I was a good 20+ versions out of date. 

Message 96 of 169 (109,145 Views)

★ Apprentice

Getting error while playing Dragon Age Inquisition:

DirectX function "GetDevice Removed Reason" failed with
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG (The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an dedign-time issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU:"NVIDIA GeForce GTX770", Driver: 34752

This error causes the application to crash to the desktop and freezes my entire system. I need to restart Windows 8.1 and then restart the Dragon Age: Inquisition game. Error happens in same place in the application - when I am at the War Table in Skyhold. It often occurs, but not always. Usually after 2 or 3 restarts and switching around the quests I am trying to select, I can usually finish.

Message 97 of 169 (108,737 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Have an nVidia GTX770/2GB card.  I hadn't encountered any DX-related issues until the ver. 347.52 driver.

Started having CtD with DX-error messages on a regular basis.

Rolled back to ver. 347.25 and problems went away.  Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 98 of 169 (108,726 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I get this error too, here is the error dlg text along with my GPU and driver

DirectX Error:

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed."). GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series", Driver: 14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software (14.501.1003-141120a-177998C).

Message 99 of 169 (108,672 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

Have an nVidia GTX770/2GB card.  I hadn't encountered any DX-related issues until the ver. 347.52 driver.

Started having CtD with DX-error messages on a regular basis.

Rolled back to ver. 347.25 and problems went away.  Confusedmileyvery-happy:

I appreciate the reply and I'm sure it would work for me too, but I'm not the most tech savy person and I don't know how to get back to the prior driver. I did also leave an error report with NVIDIA so hopefully BioWare and NVIDIA will get together and solve the problem. Yes, I'm an optimist. Confusedmileyfrustrated: :

Message 100 of 169 (108,617 Views)