Re: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by thokl92

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Might help for some but mine was already turned off when I started receiving that error.

Message 151 of 169 (18,667 Views)

★ Novice

Wow, this bug seems to have been around for awhile, and nothing from EA? not surprising, they got their money and that's all EA care about.

Anyways, just got DAI and get this error after 3-4hrs playtime. Using nvidia gtx 960, 16gb ram, i5, 64bit and an azrock killer elite motherboard. Only game that gives this error. Done everything suggested and none of it worked. This error shouldn't be happening with my set up, so i'd say the bug is in-game related

Message 152 of 169 (18,521 Views)

★★★ Novice

The fix is to lower your graphic cards clock speed if you have a factory overclocked card out of the box like me. I had this problem too. First its the directx crash. Then after I lowered graphics settings like some other suggested, I started to have white screen crash. It was crashing left and right. Then I stumbled to a post that says all this crash was caused by overclocked Nvidia graphic card getting overheated. At first I didn't think this applies to me. Because I never tinkered with my card out of the box. But it turns out my card was factory overclocked, it's a EVGA superclocked GTX 660. Normal clock should be around 988, but it's factory superclocked to 1045. I downloaded EVGA precisionx 16 from steam and manually down clocked it by -70. No crash ever since. The only slight annoyance is that I have to run precisionX everytime before firing up inquisition lol.

Message 153 of 169 (50,641 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Tried all suggested fixes, i.e. the Overclocking fix and the update AMD driver fix, to no avail.  This is what finally fixed the problem.  I uninstalled AMD Catalyst and reinstalled video driver and HDMI audio drivers ONLY!  No more freezing and DXGI errors.

Message 154 of 169 (18,317 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

i just bought a tri x r9 390x 8gb 5d and i get this error in both advanced warfare and bad company 2, i have tried reinstall drivers, reinstalled my w10, redownloaded AW, reinstalled directx etc etc bu i cant find a way to fix this, ppl say that you can underclock it to work, i havent tried that yet, but i am checking trought every driver to see if there is something wrong

Message 155 of 169 (17,785 Views)

★★ Novice

Gigabyte R9 390X G1 identical problem with all drivers

Message 156 of 169 (17,708 Views)

★ Novice

Just wanted to thank you Virtualreality for this post.  Followed your advice, downloaded EVGA PrecisionX from Steam, reduced my core clock by 70hz, and haven't seen a DirectX issue since.  I used to play with all my video settings on low thinking it was helping, but apparently, the fix you recommended allows me to set my video settings to whatever I feel like.

Dunno why I wasted all my time trying the other recommended fixes before this one.

Attached image shows where to edit your settings in EVGA PrecisionX16 (for computer illiterate people like myself).  My card is a factory overclocked Galaxy GTX670.  If you have a factory overclocked card, try this fix.

Thx again!  Standard smile

Message 157 of 169 (17,534 Views)

★★★ Novice

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE

tried:

for game and video card

reinstalling

ruining fix

updates

windowed mode

full mode

bar less windowed mode ?

normal clock

under clock

over clock

running the Direct x thing

reinstalling

installing older versions

I ran across and tried this, seems to be working now but only when ruining in full screen mode (Windowed mode has a new error)

PS: Be carful when messing with Regedit  if you type something wrong or delete something by mistake you can really F### up your PC

TdrDelay did not work but for me but  "TdrLevel" did.

"I know this issue, the answer is actually on microsofts site.

Problem: a thing called TDR checker monitors the computers hardware, particularly the GPU, is say the GPU stops responding with the computer for 2 seconds TDR checker restarts the driver. The TDR checker was good on paper but did not work in the real world. as a gpu can stop responding when it is working hard.

Issue since the time of vista, thats why this problem virually never happened on XP

Here is the solution
Exit all Windows based programs.
Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 (sometimes called ControlSet001) \Control\GraphicsDrivers

On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows 

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

This puts a delay on the tdr checker of 8 seconds thus the gpu can stop responding for 10 seconds, usually this fixes the problem, if you are still suffering from this issue (after updates or a reinstall of drivers, you know all that annoying driver stuff)
Then do this, do the same thing but instead of "TdrDelay" type "TdrLevel" enter the data value as 0 (it is set to that natively, but double check) then delete the TdrDelay, 

Restart 

That completely turns off Tdr checker, so now windows 7/vista/8 now works more like windows XP

Share the info XD "

Message 158 of 169 (17,334 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I actually randomly got this issue 2 days ago and have not been able to fix it by trying ANYTHING. FFS. 

Message 159 of 169 (17,052 Views)

★★ Novice

sadly the reg edit fix did not work for me, I am using a GTX590 so thought it would be the age of the card, somewhat relieved I see other cards having the issue. 

Message 160 of 169 (16,945 Views)