DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

by yanquis1972

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★★★★★ Novice

id been running DAI flawlessly with about 12 hours of PT logged. on a computer reset a windows update was installed; related or not i don't know. i don't think the game has had any updates, this was only a couple hours ago. 

since then i can't play for more than a minute or two without the game crashing to desktop. i have an nvidia gtx 980 and latest drivers.  i have tried lowering settings to high as well but it still happens. 

Message 1 of 169 (107,150 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: DirectX function GetDeviceRemovedReason failed with dxgi_error_device_hung

★★★ Novice

The fix is to lower your graphic cards clock speed if you have a factory overclocked card out of the box like me. I had this problem too. First its the directx crash. Then after I lowered graphics settings like some other suggested, I started to have white screen crash. It was crashing left and right. Then I stumbled to a post that says all this crash was caused by overclocked Nvidia graphic card getting overheated. At first I didn't think this applies to me. Because I never tinkered with my card out of the box. But it turns out my card was factory overclocked, it's a EVGA superclocked GTX 660. Normal clock should be around 988, but it's factory superclocked to 1045. I downloaded EVGA precisionx 16 from steam and manually down clocked it by -70. No crash ever since. The only slight annoyance is that I have to run precisionX everytime before firing up inquisition lol.

View in thread

Message 153 of 169 (50,518 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Same thing here. I went back and checked the update log only thing that was updated was this 

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3011780)

Installation date: ‎11/‎19/‎2014 2:01 PM

Installation status: Succeeded

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3011780

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

I am running 780ti.

Message 2 of 169 (106,837 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Try to remove it. Even if I strongly doubt that's the problem, it's still worth a try.

Message 3 of 169 (106,827 Views)

★★ Novice

i have the same problem, had it once in Bf 4, but never seen it so far, i hope no hardware is messed up, just bought a whole new computer -_-

Message 4 of 169 (106,778 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Opening up Origin then going to

Origin>Application Settings>Origin In Game, and then turning off/unchecking "enable origin in game," seems to have fixed that error.

Message 5 of 169 (106,720 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This to me looks like a bug; the full text from my device is

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to

badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an

design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed. "). GPU:

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 ", Driver 34475

I've always seen this error during cutscenes, never during gameplay, so I'm fairly certain the bug is there.

Edit - I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit with latest updates and driver. I HIGHLY suspect Windows 8.1 because I've not had the crash on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop (though I also am nowhere near as far into the game, either).

Message 6 of 169 (106,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi.

Same problem here. Yesterday I was getting crashes to white screen during cutscenes without any explanation(game just freezed after that). Today I started to get this DirectX error message.

Tried to disable Origin in game layout, but still got this crash.

I'm not sure about recent updates though. Last update was installed 2014 11 13. After checking Windows Update, I can see this update available to download and install, so I think problem  is not with update. Well at least not with Windows 7 version(KB3011780).

I'm using Windows 7 x64 with GTX 660OC.

EDIT: Disabling Ambient Occlusion didn't help(turned off in-game). Now I tried to turn it off in menu and so far(~2hours) no crashes. I'll update if something happens.

Message 7 of 169 (106,044 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same issue on windows 7 with the latest beta drivers.

The same thing happened when I first started the game with an older driver.

I'm using an AMD 6850

Message 8 of 169 (106,046 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

The problem appears to be tied to the Ambient occlusion function under your graphical settings.

I tried disabling Ambient Occlusion last night, but haven't had a chance to try running the game for more than another 20 minutes or so.

Give it a shot and see if it crashes?

Hopefully there'll be a patch or fix soon so that we can go back to the full glory of DA:I without erroring out every 20 minutes or so. 

Message 9 of 169 (105,972 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

EDIT: So I've played for about 9 hours straight and got white screen crash and freez(happened before). I guess it's different issue. Anyway 9 hours is great, compared with few minutes Standard smile

EDIT: Playing with Origin layout disabled, because when it wes on, game crashed after few minutes during cutscene(just select windowed fullscreen in display options, it's almost the same). 

Thank you, will be waiting for official fix from BioWare.

Message 10 of 169 (104,899 Views)