Re: DirectX Function "Get device Removed Reason" Error

by geshizzle007

Original Post

DirectX Function "Get device Removed Reason" Error

★★★ Novice

So I managed to get the game running after i fixed a workaround with Origin. Originally, Origin required me to update my AMD drivers to 3.12 (even though they were at 3.4 already). I managed to circumvent this problem by editing the data value in my registry editor for Catalyst Version from 3.4 to 3.12.

So the game was running fine! Up until it froze and I got the error: DirectX Function "Get device Removed Reason" and now I can barely play the game without crashing after 10 minutes! Someone help please.

I have a AMD HD Radeon 5700, if that helps.

Message 1 of 55 (82,825 Views)

★★ Novice

Same Problem but with Radeon 5870.

Message 2 of 55 (82,376 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Both of you, there has been an AMD malfunction with drivers.  Their driver install is leaving an old version marker behind.  Both of you should be able to use some drivers from 2014, not those from a year ago.  But you have to uninstall the old drivers, then WIPE OUT all scraps with Ccleaner or a similar registry sweeping tool, before installing the latest AMD drivers. 

Message 3 of 55 (82,344 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks. I do have the newest AMDs driver, downloaded them from the official site, because I couldn't start the game without them. But I'll try CC cleaner.

Doubt that this works, because the error message shows that I have the new driver.

Maybe that will help you find the problem:

http://abload.de/img/da3icrashjhjti.png

Win7 64 bit, i2500k

Game is still playable, just sometimes it crashs, it's not really reproducable, happens in cutscenes I, think. Happend right at the start and then after I closed the first tutorial rift. The next time it worked.

Message 4 of 55 (82,325 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have a Nvidia graphics card and am getting the  DirectX Function "Get device Removed Reason" Error message as well.  It happens during cut scenes - not all of them and  there doesn't seem to be a pattern other than cut scenes.  I am able to "close all windows" when I right click on the DAI icon in quick start bar.  Then the game starts up okay and runs okay.

Here is the full error message:

DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.") GPU "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760", Driver: 34475

Message 5 of 55 (82,304 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I just checked and do have the latest drivers for my graphics card.  Also, to help, here is my sytem information:

Operating System: Windows 8Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8132MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

GPU Driver version: 344.75

Message 6 of 55 (82,289 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Have you tried running in a frameless window?  (Alt-Enter gets that started, I believe) 

Message 7 of 55 (82,280 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

OP here again. I've managed to circumvent this, though i'm not exactly sure how.

To clarify, I still get this issue, but it is far less frequent. In all honesty, I think its just that DA:I doesn't support the AMD Radeon drivers, because i've noticed that lighting of hair on some characters is really glossy and i've also noticed certain armors have very weird lighting effects.

Like I said, I can play the game fine to an extent. I've got about 15 hours in and this error will ocassionally pop up. I think what I did was:

1. Locate the Origin Games folder in your program files.

2.  Go to the DA:I folder then go to _Installer>directx>redist

3. Then run the file named DXSETUP.exe

I did that and tried running the game and now at the stage where I described above. I'm not sure what that did exactly, whether that installed an older directx or a newer one i'm not sure, but i can run the game. I still think its just poor support for AMD cards for this game.

Still looking for a solution though. I may try reinstalling drivers I guess.

EDIT: Read the above posts. Is it possible the old drivers are also causing the glossy hair problems, and not just that it isn't optimized well? If so, I may consider doing this. Though I haven't been able to find the newest drivers for AMD, I always get redirected or need to buy some program.

Message 8 of 55 (82,227 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

That's some improvement, glad to hear of it, and good luck

Message 9 of 55 (82,180 Views)

★★★ Novice

@jdfioiwjef wrote:

OP here again. I've managed to circumvent this, though i'm not exactly sure how.

To clarify, I still get this issue, but it is far less frequent. In all honesty, I think its just that DA:I doesn't support the AMD Radeon drivers, because i've noticed that lighting of hair on some characters is really glossy and i've also noticed certain armors have very weird lighting effects.

Like I said, I can play the game fine to an extent. I've got about 15 hours in and this error will ocassionally pop up. I think what I did was:

1. Locate the Origin Games folder in your program files.

2.  Go to the DA:I folder then go to _Installer>directx>redist

3. Then run the file named DXSETUP.exe

I did that and tried running the game and now at the stage where I described above. I'm not sure what that did exactly, whether that installed an older directx or a newer one i'm not sure, but i can run the game. I still think its just poor support for AMD cards for this game.

Still looking for a solution though. I may try reinstalling drivers I guess.

EDIT: Read the above posts. Is it possible the old drivers are also causing the glossy hair problems, and not just that it isn't optimized well? If so, I may consider doing this. Though I haven't been able to find the newest drivers for AMD, I always get redirected or need to buy some program.

The newest AMD drivers are linked here:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/INFO-DA-I-Troubleshooting-amp-Workarounds/td-p/40128...

In a FAQ Bioware said to get rid of the glossy hair, you have to set the mesh to Ultra. Hope that helps.

Message 10 of 55 (82,171 Views)