DirectX Error

by Ansehelm

Original Post

Re: DirectX Error

★★★★★ Newbie

There are 75 pages here. Was this ever resolved? Mine is doing the same thing and kicking me out every so often. I run all my games on the highest graphics settings and have never had an issue. How has everyone else dealt with this?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/Kali_83/directXerror.png

Message 751 of 771 (2,576 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@KaliFugatte wrote:

There are 75 pages here. Was this ever resolved? Mine is doing the same thing and kicking me out every so often. I run all my games on the highest graphics settings and have never had an issue. How has everyone else dealt with this?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/Kali_83/directXerror.png

Unfortunately EA hasn't fixed this. While this is a community forum I'm sure EA is aware of it since others have mentioned similar issues have occured in other games that use the Frostbite engine. I know it's no fun reading through 75 pages and while I got my game working, my video card is an AMD 6850 so I don't think my settings would help much. Maybe somebody with the same video card as yourself will post some sort of temporary solution. You might want to post some of your computer details to get better feedback even though this does seem to be 100% video card related, and I can see from the image link that you have a Nvidia GTX 660. There doesn't seem to be a single solution as those of us who have been able to play all seemed to do things as least slightly differently. Also, there are still many people that still have this DirectX problem. I'll repost my settings but like I said, I doubt they'll be of much use.

@CPU: i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB (DDR3 1866)

Video: Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

Audio: On-Board Realtek High Definition Audio

Origin: Disabled In-Game

Display

Windowed

1920x1080 60.00Hz

Vertical Sync Checked

Graphics API: Direct3D 11

Graphics

Resolution Scale: 100

Mesh Quality: High

Tessellation Quality: Low

Texture Quality: High

Shadow Quality: Low

Terrain Quality: High

Vegetation Quality: Medium

Water Quality: Medium

Post-Process Quality: Low

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Effects Quality: Medium

Post-Process Antialiasing: Low

Multisample Antialiasing: Off

Switching to windowed mode seemed to be the setting that ultimately fixed my crashes. I start the game in a small window and then expand it to full screen windowed after it has begun loading. Others have tried lowering their GPU clock speed as some video cards are factory overclocked, and I guess that worked for some people. When I lowered mine it helped a little bit; I managed to get past one constant crash at least but they still continued to occur sporatically when the screen needed to change (such as for a cinematic or clicking on an ocularum or astrarium). Also, I'm back on my original GPU speed and have since finished the game twice which is why I don't believe that helped me. That's about all I can suggest trying. You might want to browse the last 20 pages or so of this thread or all 75 Confusedmileywink: Really though, I don't think reading every post will help and a lot of stuff gets repeated throughout the thread. Good luck!

Message 752 of 771 (2,559 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for the reply! This was a custom built comp and I've no idea all the specs or where to find this as Windows 8.1 boggles my brain! I just F5 constantly and hope it doesn't happen during boss fights. It's happened less since I lowered graphics from custom to ultra. I may need to just save up for a second graphics card. I think you're right and that is the problem. Thanks again!

Message 753 of 771 (2,533 Views)

★ Apprentice

@KaliFugatte wrote:

Thank you for the reply! This was a custom built comp and I've no idea all the specs or where to find this as Windows 8.1 boggles my brain! I just F5 constantly and hope it doesn't happen during boss fights. It's happened less since I lowered graphics from custom to ultra. I may need to just save up for a second graphics card. I think you're right and that is the problem. Thanks again!

You're welcome. Though I don't know that a new graphics card would help unless there is one out there that works perfectly with this game. Maybe there is since there are many people who don't get the DirectX error but the real problem is the game engine, not your computer.

Message 754 of 771 (2,520 Views)

★★ Apprentice
finallyyyyyyy the solution is here for directx error and desktop crash for dragon age inquisition:
go to nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, program settings, select dragon age inquisiton, and set for it: maximum pre-rendered frames: 1, multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration: single display performance mode, power management mode: prefer maximum performance, vertical sync to adaptive, save, run the game , in game setting set full screen and uncheck vsync, now no more crash. Note that you must set in the game full screen mode and not window full screen, regards
Message 755 of 771 (1,756 Views)

★★ Novice

@elieselhachem wrote:
finallyyyyyyy the solution is here for directx error and desktop crash for dragon age inquisition:
go to nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings, program settings, select dragon age inquisiton, and set for it: maximum pre-rendered frames: 1, multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration: single display performance mode, power management mode: prefer maximum performance, vertical sync to adaptive, save, run the game , in game setting set full screen and uncheck vsync, now no more crash. Note that you must set in the game full screen mode and not window full screen, regards

Yeah, this did not work for me. 3 crashes in less then 15min. Sigh....

Message 756 of 771 (1,391 Views)

★★ Novice

i've completed the game fine at launch

now, after few months wanted to go through once again, but no, dx crashes every cutscene

nice patching indeed

i've already dropped battlefield, seems like EA wants me to stop buying all games with their trademark.

Message 757 of 771 (1,364 Views)

★★ Novice

Try to go to your windows update settings and install every optional updates.

It fixed my game i can play now for over 15 hours without problems , before i can only play 20 minutes.

Message 758 of 771 (1,310 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have had this problem since I bought the game a few days after it was released. I thought these errors had something to do with my videocard... but other games work fine... started playing it again after not having played it for two months, but now it crashes much more often (I can play 5 - 30 minutes between crashes). Still getting the DX device hung error. Only lowering the detail level seems to help a bit... but that is of course not the real solution and it makes this beautiful game ugly.

To EA: the game itself is awesome but this DX bug really sucks... 4 months and 76 pages of complaints (more here) .. no fix... regardless of what exactly causes the error... I feel cheated. If it's not going to be fixed properly I won't buy EA / Bioware games anymore in future.

Message 759 of 771 (1,251 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Never been able to play this stupid game since release (bought it on 20 november...) 

Still have the same directx error.

Thanks for stealing me 50 euros ....

Message 760 of 771 (1,212 Views)