Direct X Error Crashes Dragon Age Inquisition To Desktop (Details)

by listlurker

Original Post

Re: Direct X Error Crashes Dragon Age Inquisition To Desktop (Details)

★★★ Novice

My Solution!

I have 2 GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost cards in Sli configuration; using drivers version 344.75.  I was suffering from this crash/error on multible occasions (cutscenes and the war room.)  The game was unplayable.

I searched for solutions and tried many of them (reloading drivers, reinstalling VC, turning off Ambient Occlusion, lowering my GPU Mhz, etc...)  None fixed my error, although some resulted in having the error less often, but only somewhat playable if I skipped through cutscenes as quickly as possible, but still unable to use the war room (since you can't skip.)  

*After doing the following, I have had over 3 days of uninterupted gameplay through many long cutscenes and uses of the war room.*

Using Nvidia's Geforce Experience as a guide, I set my graphic settings to the recomended optimal settings.  They are as follows:

Ambient Occlusion              SSAO

Display Mode                       Full-screen

Effects Quality                       Low

Graphics Quality                  Custom

Mesh Quality                         High

Multisample Anti-Aliasing  Off

Post-process Anti-Aliasing High

Post-process Quality           Medium

Resolution                             1920x1080

Resolution Scale                  100

Shadow Quality                     Medium

Terrain Quality                       Medium

Tessellation Quality              Off

Texture Quality                      Low

Vegetation Quality                Medium

Water Quality                         High

Now, the graphics are noticeably worse than they were when I had the settings at High/Ultra, but not bad.  I have not tried to increase any of the above to see if I can improve graphics and not get the error (why mess with a good thing.)  All I can say is I LOVE THIS GAME and have been enjoying it without incident since I used those settings.  Moreover, this worked for me and my setup (with factory overclock included!)  I hope that if you are using the 650 Ti Boost this will work for you, or if you are using a different card, you can install Geforce Experience and try the recommended optimal settings to get the game to work for you.

*Note:  I did have to manually make the changes, the program could not make the changes for me.

Good Luck and Happy Gaming!!

P.S. Has anybody else found themself singing "The Inquisition" from Mel Brook's History of the World Part I while playing this game??

Message 21 of 270 (13,942 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I just think it is weird to have to downgrade our graphics and cpus to play what is supposedly a state of the art game that is intended to be enjoyed visually...its an EA/Bioware Fail.

Message 22 of 270 (13,765 Views)

★★ Novice

Im getting crashes as well on an Nvidia CTX 660 with Win7 64 bit.

DAI installed to program files 86, is that the right place for it when running DX11 - my confusion.

Message 23 of 270 (13,521 Views)

★★ Novice

Absolutely wonderful! 12 hours with no crash, just smooth gameplay. I just followed your settings, did nothing else,  GTX 650 Ti Boost. Thank you, you're a SAINT.

Message 24 of 270 (12,831 Views)

★★★ Novice

Reverted latest Nvidia river, and had 16 hours of no directx errors, from every 20 minutes. 

Then NOPE !!!

Message 25 of 270 (12,431 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you very much.  With your first tip I was able to get my game running again.  I have an older video card that needs to be updated but wanted to see how slow the gameplay would be if I bumped up the graphics.  This completely locked me out of my game and I was flipping out.  I hope others find your advice as useful as I did. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 26 of 270 (12,429 Views)

★★★ Novice

Fixed!!!!  All I know is this....I've been opening up Nvidia GeForce Experience on my PC every few hours since this debacle began and hoping for a new driver update.  This morning when I had checked, nothing had changed, but a few minutes ago I went in and suddenly there were OPTIMAL settings for the game, which I don't think any of us had the option of selecting before....now it works perfectly and with high quality.  I have a GTX 660ti and was unable to play more than 10 minutes without a crash.....just made it all the way through the initial sequence without an error....not sure if every problem they were having is fixed, but I can finally play this game and it's at least a sign that someone is doing something at Bioware and Nvidia to help us.

Message 27 of 270 (12,422 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I also have started getting this on a different card to the OP, both directX and my drivers are latest versions for all.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g25/anakiakira/Untitled-73.jpg Screenshot of error message.

Message 28 of 270 (12,372 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It's very hard to tell when this is fixed or not - I thought changing it from fullscreen to windowed had sorted it but after a while it crashed again (this time becoming a white window instead of the directx error.)

I'm now trying underclocking my graphics card by -100mhz. Again - so far so good, but only time will tell.

Has anyone else underclocked their card and still had crashes?

Message 29 of 270 (12,277 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here.

Message 30 of 270 (12,207 Views)