Direct X Error Crashes Dragon Age Inquisition To Desktop (Details)

by listlurker

Original Post

Highlighted

Direct X Error Crashes Dragon Age Inquisition To Desktop (Details)

★★★★★ Novice

My game has crashed to desktop twice. All drivers and details are up-to-date and in place. Using Direct X 11 on a  Windows 7 64-bit system.

With each crash, the error message from Direct X says the following, verbatim. Hope this helps with patching/bug fixing efforts:

Direct X function

"GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is a design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.")

GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series", Driver 14.9 (14.301.1001-140951a -176154C)

Message 1 of 270 (113,655 Views)

Re: Direct X Error Crashes Dragon Age Inquisition To Desktop (Details)

★★★★ Novice

I'm also having this issue.
Am also using Windows 7 64-bit but with a Geforce GTX 760.

Seems to happen in dialogue and on the Inquisition map - not super regularly but it's happened every couple of hours so far.

Message 2 of 270 (113,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The last several versions of DICE's Frostbite engine seem particularly sensitive to minor instabilities in GPUs, and even mild overheating.  Overclocked GPUs, even factory overclocks, often must be downclocked, or you'll have to reduce the number of pixels with a lowered screen resolution. 

With this game, whatever they have done with the Frostbite engine seems far worse, as was the case with Crysis 3 -- even ordinary n60, n70 cards seem to be running into it among nVIDIA products. 

Geforce GPUs seem most affected, I think. 

Message 3 of 270 (113,121 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I got the same thing again a little while ago (replaying the introduction to the map room.)

It only seems to occur during cut scenes / dialogue / map screen. Haven't had it happen while I'm running about in the world as of yet.

Screenshotted the dialogue incase that is helpful.

Directx Crash 1

Directx Crash 2

Appreciate your insight into this Gorath, definately seems to be an issue with the Frostbite engine, I'm hoping there's a solution to it that might work from Battlefield 4 or something.

UPDATE. I can confirm the below doesn't fix this:

I've tried to following (pulled from a similar issue with BF4), at the moment I haven't confirmed if this fixes anything but will let everyone know if this pans out.

1. Install Microsoft Visual C++  Redistributable Package AND DirectX Redistributable.

DirectX
Go to Main DA:I Folder then __Installer\directx\redist and run DXSETUP.exe as Administrator.

Microsoft Visual C++

Go to Main DA:I Folder then __Installer\vc\vc2012Update3\redist and run vcredist_x64 OR/AND vcredist_x86 as Administrator.

Message 4 of 270 (113,020 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok, following on from this I'm going to try the following workarounds and update them if I can confirm they don't work.

Seems like I can reliably recreate the crash on the map room introduction (haven't been able to get past it without it crashing the game yet.)

1. Run the game in borderless or windowed mode. (changes crash to blank white screen)

2. Underclock graphics card. (no effect.)

3. Complete reinstall of graphics drivers (untested)

4. Enable VSYNC (doesn't fix)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DJ9jpVINgg

Message 5 of 270 (112,982 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Since switching to Windowed Fullscreen mode I haven't had the crash, it's looking hopeful that this could be the fix for it. 

Message 6 of 270 (112,943 Views)

★★ Novice

@Nikells wrote:

Since switching to Windowed Fullscreen mode I haven't had the crash, it's looking hopeful that this could be the fix for it. 

Difference for me when change to windowed fullscreen, is the computer does a hard lock up, and need to turn off power to get it up and running again. In normal fullscreen it keep throw out DX errors and crash to desktop.

The game run fine until the starter area was over and went to the map. Did people actually test this game beyond the first 30 mins? geeze.

Message 7 of 270 (112,909 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@ruffio74 wrote:

Difference for me when change to windowed fullscreen, is the computer does a hard lock up, and need to turn off power to get it up and running again. In normal fullscreen it keep throw out DX errors and crash to desktop.

The game run fine until the starter area was over and went to the map. Did people actually test this game beyond the first 30 mins? geeze.

It doesn't even get to the menu screen in windowed fullscreen?

Message 8 of 270 (112,802 Views)

★★★★ Novice

NVIDIA 770 I have had to reboot my PC every time this happens. Nothing is overclocked. Factory system stock settings.

Message 9 of 270 (112,762 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@Shoguth wrote:

NVIDIA 770 I have had to reboot my PC every time this happens. Nothing is overclocked. Factory system stock settings.

Try to downclock it somewhat anyway, why not? 

Message 10 of 270 (112,636 Views)