Re: Denuvo DRM destroying hard drives!

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Denuvo DRM destroying hard drives!

★★ Novice

"Resource monitors for RAM and CPU consumption numbers, memory viewer for trying to figure out what makes it tick and track address issues, SSD analysis tools for those delicious dead blocks and data tracking. Wanna know average number of times parts of LotF exe code are fcked around between RAM and HDD in the span of one hour? 150000 copy/write iterations. That's about 10000 times more than usual. DRM constantly decrypts the game code into the memory and encrypts it back. This is the most bull**** usage of encryption software I've ever stumbled upon. And even though code chunks are quite small (couple of kilobytes per go at worst), they are all stored in one memory block. And playing the game for 4-8 hours(depends on SSD quality) means that you can say goodbye to that block." Source: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...5#post-3599880

So check your install folder for Origin games. You might want to switch over to your hard disk drive with spinning iron plates instead of sacrificing the life of your solid state drive too early. Denuvo is also used by "Lords of the Fallen" and FIFA 15 so far. I think a lot of games will follow. Actually, this would be a good time for crackers to circumvent this protection method since Denuvo will actively destroy hardware over time. I am waiting for the first complaints and lawsuits due to destroyed hardware caused by Denuvo. Sony should probably put some money on the side for those lawsuits. Source: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...5#post-3599880

For anyone that isn't following this thing, Denuvo is a DRM that encrypts and decrypts itself while you play the game so it's extremely difficult to crack. If these numbers are true, SSD users are f****d and it isn't doing anyone any favors with their normal hard drives.

New information has come out"

So my question is, are EA happy to destroy peoples harddrives just so a few people cant steal their games? It sure is a nice way to reward customers

Message 1 of 19 (5,814 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Hard Drive is one thing Solid State Drive is another.

Who on earth is installing games on SSD and for what reason? If you do, stop doing that already.

Message 2 of 19 (5,733 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this post from the grave, but I just finished a chat with Crucial tech support about Dragon Age: Inquisition's poor loading times. I bought one of their SSDs, and was disappointed that DA: I did not load noticeably faster, and I also found out some really bad news.

Here's a quote from Charles, from the Crucial tech support team:

"Essentially the DRM software they use with this program does software encryption on any drive it runs with, it can drastically increase load times, as well as wear out SSDs."

He also mentioned it was Denuvo, in particular.

I just wanted to let the devs know about this issue, and that apparently Crucial techs are taking it very seriously. 

There is a bit of good news, however! You may have a chance to repair the damage, if you're using a Crucial drive, but idling in the BIOS overnight. This allows Crucial's garbage collection to repair things.

Message 3 of 19 (5,382 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The assertion made in the subject of this thread is flat out not true.

Last but not least, the team addressed the SSD rumors and claimed that they were false.

“Completely wrong rumor which is repeated over and over although many 3rd party tests (as well as we) state that our solution does not perform read / write operations to the HDD (hence we have no negative impact on the lifetime of SSDs or any other hardware component).”

If your have any evidence to back up your claims to the contrary, provide it.

Otherwise, stop spreading old nonsense for which you have ZERO proof.

Message 4 of 19 (5,331 Views)

★ Apprentice

DA:I in my SSD works wonders.  Fast loading times, so far so good.  Installed the game in SSD since game release and no crash to desktops.

Message 5 of 19 (5,317 Views)

Hero

Denuvo rewrites the executable in the RAM, not on the drive. Windows doesn't allow active applications to be rewritten on a drive.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 19 (5,311 Views)

★ Apprentice

Well in my case I found that running the game drastically increased the mount of SSD bytes written.  Over 2 years of use I had gotten to just over 6TB of usage.  One playthrough of Inquisition and that figure went up to over 9.5TB.

On my second playthrough I kept the executable on my HDD, and deep linked the main chunk of the game onto my SSD so I'd still have fast loading times.  It has now reached 10.5TB and I've just reached Skyhold on my 3rd playthrough.

Lucky I have a Samsung 830.  not all drives are as hard wearing.

Message 7 of 19 (5,296 Views)

Hero

@Deders1980 wrote:

Well in my case I found that running the game drastically increased the mount of SSD bytes written.  Over 2 years of use I had gotten to just over 6TB of usage.  One playthrough of Inquisition and that figure went up to over 9.5TB.

On my second playthrough I kept the executable on my HDD, and deep linked the main chunk of the game onto my SSD so I'd still have fast loading times.  It has now reached 10.5TB and I've just reached Skyhold on my 3rd playthrough.

Lucky I have a Samsung 830.  not all drives are as hard wearing.

@DeltaAgent26 wrote something about that here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/PC-Ongoing-investigation-poor-performance-crashes-re...

I believe there was a longer guide on SSD optimization but I can't seem to find it.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 19 (5,277 Views)

★ Apprentice

Ahh i see, funny thing is I monitor my ram usage on the screen on my keyboard and it never went above 7GB.  Now with the new patch it does fill right up but I'm not getting the massive amount of writes anymore.

Message 9 of 19 (5,268 Views)

★★ Pro

It is not the DRM that destroys the SSDs, it is page filing on the SSDs that destroys them,

and the game's mis-allocation / over-allocation of system resources and usage of the page -

file that causes the damage.

TURN OFF PAGE FILING 

for all of your SSDs and the writes to your SSDs

"should be" greatly reduced.

I personally do not have ANY pagefile active on any HDD in my system,

as I have 32GB of system ram installed.

@Fred_vdp Thank you for  referencing my post/thread.

Message 10 of 19 (5,257 Views)