Re: DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE

by PalindromeAnna

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE

★★ Novice

Hello all, I am coming back to replay Dragon Age Inquisition. I was able to fully download the game AND all the add-ons, but when I run the game either in administration mode OR non administration mode I get the same error:

DirectX function 'FindClosestMatchingMode' failed with DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE ('The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.'). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, Driver: 38813.

The difference between now and back when I played was I originally ran it using Windows 8.1. Having to "trick" origin was the method I used before. I am now upgraded to Windows 10 and am experiencing this new error. 

I have tried the method of deleting ALL of my NVIDIA files and re downloading them from the suggested link. This did nothing but download the updates I had before trying this. I do not have AVG as a firewall, but I did check my current firewall and it does give access to Origin and DA:Inquisition. 

Here is my DxDiag in hopes that it will help find whatever error I am getting: https://hastebin.com/dekawewose.tex

Thank you for your help,

Jonathon

Message 1 of 21 (18,576 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice
I can't explain why, but dude, that works!

Switch from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050, run the game, quit and switch again from 1680x1050 to recommended 1920x1080, then the game works fine!

Thumbs up for you @PalindromeAnna

View in thread

Message 13 of 21 (21,310 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@RoflBBQLeetSauce It's odd, but someone with a similar issue recently found that switching from a DVI cable to a HDMI cable for their monitor fixed this problem, it's a solution they came across on the Nvidia forums. Is it possible for you to try that and let us know how you go? Standard smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 21 (18,552 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you very much for your response Niah_Dark, but my monitor only uses DVI and RGB. I had seen that solution but am unable to test it out.

Message 3 of 21 (18,549 Views)

★★ Novice

Anyone else having this problem?

Message 4 of 21 (18,506 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, same exact problem here.

Message 5 of 21 (18,452 Views)

★★ Novice

Same exact problem, persisting through multiple clean reinstalls of both Origin and Inquisition, as well as a System Restore to rule out unruly drivers. Game ran perfectly fine yesterday, now I can't even get past the loading screen.

What a farce.

Message 6 of 21 (18,446 Views)

★★ Novice

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? I have tried contacting EA support and have not received an email back in almost a month now.

Message 7 of 21 (18,214 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@RoflBBQLeetSauce; Never heard of this issue until you (and the recent one Niah_Dark mentioned.)  Can you try with another monitor?  That would help isolate the source of the problem...

Message 8 of 21 (18,203 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I hadn't played Dragon Age Inquisition since early November and I tried to start it again a few days ago and got the same message you did. I've tried a variety of things to get it to work and haven't had any success. You may have read a variety of tips too, but I was able to get to the main menu of the game by pressing alt+enter (I frantically pressed it repeatedly but it was probably unnecessary) immediately after launching the game. It only worked if I was able to do it before the DA:I window popped up. However, once it reached the game menu the second I clicked on it, it crashed and showed the error message again. I've sent in feedback to Microsoft because I tried rolling back my drivers and that doesn't seem to be the issue. 

Also, did it begin happening after a Windows update? I'm on Windows 10 and I was looking at past update info to see if there was anything there about DirectX or something. On the 11/14/17 update for Windows 10 (OS Build 16299.64) it listed "Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games" as an improvement/fix. I'm not tech savvy in the slightest so this could be completely unrelated but I thought that was interesting since I can get DA: I to the menu as long as it's windowed but when I click on it, which usually makes it go fullscreen, it crashes with the DXGI error. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4048955 this is where I found the info on the Windows 10 update. 

Also, I've never posted anything on here before so I apologize if something's screwed up. 

Message 9 of 21 (18,179 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm on a laptop and I just tried hooking it up to my TV with an HDMI cable and the game launched normally and didn't crash. My save loaded like usual and everything seemed fine. I still don't know what's causing the problem though. 

Message 10 of 21 (18,033 Views)