Re: DAI crashing at combat

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DAI crashing at combat

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have DAI GOTY edition, and it's been.. A bumpy ride, to say the least. After about 2 hours of fiddling with it, I'm able to play through until I get to the combat tutorial. Or, rather, when I finish the 'Hold r or [left click] to continue attacking' pop-up and move. It'll freeze, crash.

If I re-open it and press 'continue' it'll load for a bit, and then crash when it presumably is about to load me into the game. Now, when I try to open DAI it'll only highlight the Origin app I have open. If I try to play it off of Origin, it'll only crash and highlight the app's icon in the taskbar thing.

This is the second time it's crashed at combat. There's hardly any lag, and will run smoothly during the first few minutes of the game. 

I'm lost as to what to do. 

hastebin - ewovuduxud

EDIT: Good news is, I can finally start up DAI. It was just being super finnicky, for some reason. Crash problem still persists though.

Message 1 of 4 (620 Views)

Accepted Solution

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket 1392993787558121958, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DragonAgeInquisition.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5600f278
P4: aswhook.dll
P5: 21.4.6266.0
P6: 60a29572
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000001d12

This is what is at the end of your DxDiag post.  Aswhook.dll is avast/avg Anti-virus interfering with your game running.  I don't know if this is all your issue, but this is a definite starting point of either disabling your AV or whitelisting/putting in exclusions(global version) for Origin, DAI and saves folder for DAI.

I didn't see a Intel chip in your DxDiag so your system may not use one, which is kinda rare in a laptop, but Omen is listed as gaming laptops, so maybe they finally realized what crap most of the intel chips are.  You would use your Nvidia control panel to make sure it runs the program, and also set performance/quality settings for your system.

Clean boot, is a diagnositics boot, where you use a limited load of programs to help find issues.  Usually you can undo it in one or two clicks and a reboot.  Basically you set your system to only load needed programs, then reboot it and see how things work, then set it back to load everything when you are done, or load more programs until you find a conflict or issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (551 Views)

All Replies

1)  The DxDiag file only has the processor and a bit about your machine, and is missing about 90% of the report.  If you could update the DxDiag file so we can get the rest of the info it would be a help.

2)  One of the most common issues for laptops is they will use the integrated graphics chipset instead of the dedicated card from Nvidia(or Amd).  If your machine is trying to use the Intel graphics it will cause crashing, low performance and other issues, so triple check your machine to make sure it is using the correct graphics output.

3)  You can also try a clean boot to see if some other program is trying to interfere with the game.  Do as strict of a clean boot/diagnostics boot as you can to eliminate as many potential problems as you can.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 4 (595 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hastebin - nizifajoxa
I didn't realize there was more, but that's everything.

How do I make sure it's using the Nvidia graphics card btw? Never messed with it before. I'll likely use the clean boot as a last resort - I'm a bit wary to risk harming my laptop

Message 3 of 4 (586 Views)

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket 1392993787558121958, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DragonAgeInquisition.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5600f278
P4: aswhook.dll
P5: 21.4.6266.0
P6: 60a29572
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000001d12

This is what is at the end of your DxDiag post.  Aswhook.dll is avast/avg Anti-virus interfering with your game running.  I don't know if this is all your issue, but this is a definite starting point of either disabling your AV or whitelisting/putting in exclusions(global version) for Origin, DAI and saves folder for DAI.

I didn't see a Intel chip in your DxDiag so your system may not use one, which is kinda rare in a laptop, but Omen is listed as gaming laptops, so maybe they finally realized what crap most of the intel chips are.  You would use your Nvidia control panel to make sure it runs the program, and also set performance/quality settings for your system.

Clean boot, is a diagnositics boot, where you use a limited load of programs to help find issues.  Usually you can undo it in one or two clicks and a reboot.  Basically you set your system to only load needed programs, then reboot it and see how things work, then set it back to load everything when you are done, or load more programs until you find a conflict or issue.

Message 4 of 4 (552 Views)