Re: DA Inquisition: texture flickering still exist after BioWare patch2

by DedMozor

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@middlefngrsalute wrote:

The flickering bug can be fixed in one of two ways...

1.) set refresh rate to the xxx.94 fps just below the native refresh rate of your main monitor. (if your monitor supports it)

or

2.) disable sli/crossfire.

the flickering terrain, trees and grass is an sli/crossfire artifact, caused by z-fighting.

..personally tested on:

dual R9 270s with mantle api and direct x

and dual gtx 760s with directx api

Setting refresh rate to x.94 doesn't work.  Yes I get less flickering in mantle, but it does still occur on occasion, not to mention the mantle performance sucks and I'd rather run in single gpu on directx.  This is the only software I have seen that has this issue.  Every single other game with a Crossfire profile works without this issue.

Message 131 of 221 (1,351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

If you use NVIDIA you can create custom screen resolution with custom refresh rate (NVIDIA -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Settings -> Create custom user resolution)** . Also you can select another resolution in game (less maximal) with several refresh rate. I've tried various combinations of resolution and refresh rate, unfortunatelly for me none had any influence on the solution flickering textures. Maybe I did something wrong, but middlefngrsalute does not provide step by step instructions how to solve texture flickering issue change refresh rate.

As far as I know access to the screen resolution and refresh rate available at these standard locations:

- Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Additional Settings -> Adapter -> List of all screen resolutions with refresh rate **

- NVIDIA -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Refresh Rate **

Also I found that FXAA is ON (NVIDIA 3D settings -> Software Settings -> DAI -> FXAA On) ** reduces flicker, but does not eliminate full.

** My Win 8.1 and drivers are not in English, so the names of the menu may differ.

Message 132 of 221 (1,336 Views)

★ Apprentice

@DedMozor wrote:

If you use NVIDIA you can create custom screen resolution with custom refresh rate (NVIDIA -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Settings -> Create custom user resolution)** . Also you can select another resolution in game (less maximal) with several refresh rate. I've tried various combinations of resolution and refresh rate, unfortunatelly for me none had any influence on the solution flickering textures. Maybe I did something wrong, but middlefngrsalute does not provide step by step instructions how to solve texture flickering issue change refresh rate.

As far as I know access to the screen resolution and refresh rate available at these standard locations:

- Desktop -> Screen Resolution -> Additional Settings -> Adapter -> List of all screen resolutions with refresh rate **

- NVIDIA -> Display -> Change Resolution -> Refresh Rate **

Also I found that FXAA is ON (NVIDIA 3D settings -> Software Settings -> DAI -> FXAA On) ** reduces flicker, but does not eliminate full.

** My Win 8.1 and drivers are not in English, so the names of the menu may differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

The solution is in modifying the Frostbite renderer, it's how the engine works and the precision it's using in calculating z-buffer values.  No amount of refresh rate hackery is going to fix the issue.

Message 133 of 221 (1,316 Views)

★ Novice

Are there any more updates planned, specifically for this z-fighting issue?

Message 134 of 221 (1,291 Views)

★ Apprentice

@NoseNuggets wrote:

Are there any more updates planned, specifically for this z-fighting issue?

That's why I keep doing something to bump this thread.  AMD is so far the only group of people that have publicly stated this as an official known issue with the game.  The only thing EA/Bioware has stated was complete silence.  They have not acknowledged it's an issue, they have not made known any intention to fix it, they have not announced any plan whatsoever to fix the renderer.  There has been absolutely no information whatsoever from EA/Bioware at all on this issue.  

The only thing you can logically deduce is that they don't think it's an issue or that they see the issue they just aren't going to do anything to fix it.

Message 135 of 221 (1,278 Views)

★ Novice

more likely the issue doesn't effect enough of the customer base to warrent the cost to fix it. sad.

Message 136 of 221 (1,269 Views)

★ Apprentice

@NoseNuggets wrote:

more likely the issue doesn't effect enough of the customer base to warrent the cost to fix it. sad.

Yes, that is sad.  4x MSAA option that they put in there, at 1080p there's no GPU outside of a GTX 980 that can handle this type of load and maintain 60fps.  Want 4k ultra details? Wait for another generation of GPU's, because SLI isn't going to work on this game.

Message 137 of 221 (1,240 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I do not think that we will get new comments from EA. They had enough time to do so. Confusedmileysad:

All hope for new drivers for video cards...

But if someone wants to can ask directly  EA Communty Managers - them here a few people.

Message 138 of 221 (1,192 Views)

★ Apprentice

@DedMozor wrote:

I do not think that we will get new comments from EA. They had enough time to do so. Confusedmileysad:

All hope for new drivers for video cards...

But if someone wants to can ask directly  EA Communty Managers - them here a few people.

In the past nVidia and AMD have gone that route.  nVidia got themselves in hot water a few times because of how complicated their driver gets when loading a game.  They would do stuff like hex editing on the fly to load optimized render paths, etc to cheat on benchmarks.  This also works in our favor, however, as the z-buffer precision algorithms can be replaced by the driver if Bioware just gives everyone (nVidia, AMD, and us) the ol middle finger.

It just sucks that they put it off on the vendors to fix their own problem.  I was reading on twitter how one of AMD's employees had lunch with the Frostbite engineering team and how they were all excited about all this Mantle stuff.

I wonder if the garbage performance was brought up in that lunch......

Message 139 of 221 (1,186 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue and im not even running SLI I have a 780TI and its started having awful texture flicker its very noticable in the hinterlands. Has there been any official word about this being addressed?

Message 140 of 221 (939 Views)