Re: DA:I--Help!

by FullMetal-1652

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DA:I--Help!

★ Novice

Hey everyone! 

So, I just bought DA:I and was super excited to play it. However, it keeps crashing on start up, and there is no error message. I tried researching what was going on online, but I cannot understand what people are saying. I've already disabled my antivirus software, disabled Origin in game stuff, repaired files, and rebooted my computer. Nothing seems to be working.

If you all could offer some advice, that would be great! I have a Dell G3 gaming computer with the latest update for NVIDIA and a core i5 Intel processor. I'm not too tech savvy, so if you could keep things in laymen terms, that would be awesome!

Thanks so much you guys!

Message 1 of 5 (440 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DragonAgeInquisition.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5600f278
P4: aswhooka.dll

This is listed through your DxDiag file in the end section.  aswhooka.dll is an Avast file.  So basically Avast is still causing issues for your game.  I know there are two types of exceptions/exclusions available for Avast.  One is scanning and one is global.  The first tells Avast to don't scan for a virus there but it will do everything else, the second global one tells Avast to ignore the file for everything.  The way to get DAI to work is to set the global one, for DAI, the Origin app, and DAI saves files.  

common locations:

Saves--- C:\Users\Your user name\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save

Origin--  C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin

Origin games can vary way to much to be able to tell you, but you said you already did this so you should know the location, I usually tell AVG to ignore all Origin games--and hope a hacker/virus doesn't install there.....

On rare occasions, people have reported having to do BOTH the exclusions and disable the AV for a limited time to get it to run.  I haven't figured out why Avast and AVG haven't fixed this issue, which started over a year from the last DAI update....but hey, with as much time as I have spent on DAI maybe it is a virus to my life.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (393 Views)

All Replies

Read this post on what we need, paying attention to the spoiler tag for DxDiag files

A firm start to what we need is the DxDiag file, which you can find out a bit more about in the link above.  It would also be a good idea, to list the AV, how you disabled it, if you are using any Razor or Steel keyboards or mouse, and also if you have teamviewer or a chat program running while trying to play.

Probably 95% of the time for what you are listing it turns out to be Anti-Virus, and then misc other issues making up the rest, such as your computer not using the Nvidia/AMD graphics card or something not updated....so please read the linked post, gather the info we need, and post back and we will see if we can help you.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 5 (417 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks so much! I'm new here, so thanks so much for the info!

For more detail: When I open up the game, it shows a black box, goes to full screen, and then disappears. There is no error message. I cannot even get to any loading page.

My system is a Dell G3 gaming laptop, with an Intel core i5 8th generation, and the latest update for NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX. I'm not sure if any more information is needed, but let me know if I'm missing something. Like I said, I'm not too tech savvy. : )

https://hastebin.com/yomawabexi.makefile (Here is the link to my haste bin.) 

I have Avast. I added an exception for the game. When I disabled my anti-virus software, I right clicked on the icon and then clicked "Disable for one hour." Neither action helped solve what was going on. The game still would not launch beyond a brief two seconds. I do use a mouse when I play, but I have no chat windows or anything open at the same time. The mouse is a Rii wireless optical mouse. I also tried running the game as an administrator, but that did not work either. As mentioned in the previous post, I disabled the in-game Origin overlay, right-clicked on the game, and clicked "repair." I just bought the game two days ago, so it should be updated. I also right clicked on the game icon in Origins, clicked on game properties, went to advanced launch options, and typed "-w." I hoped it would get the game to launch in windowed form, as I hear sometimes that helps solve the problem. That action did not change how the game had been launching previously.

I believe that covers all the steps I have taken so far. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you so much for your help!

Message 3 of 5 (402 Views)

[ Edited ]
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: DragonAgeInquisition.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5600f278
P4: aswhooka.dll

This is listed through your DxDiag file in the end section.  aswhooka.dll is an Avast file.  So basically Avast is still causing issues for your game.  I know there are two types of exceptions/exclusions available for Avast.  One is scanning and one is global.  The first tells Avast to don't scan for a virus there but it will do everything else, the second global one tells Avast to ignore the file for everything.  The way to get DAI to work is to set the global one, for DAI, the Origin app, and DAI saves files.  

common locations:

Saves--- C:\Users\Your user name\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save

Origin--  C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin

Origin games can vary way to much to be able to tell you, but you said you already did this so you should know the location, I usually tell AVG to ignore all Origin games--and hope a hacker/virus doesn't install there.....

On rare occasions, people have reported having to do BOTH the exclusions and disable the AV for a limited time to get it to run.  I haven't figured out why Avast and AVG haven't fixed this issue, which started over a year from the last DAI update....but hey, with as much time as I have spent on DAI maybe it is a virus to my life.....

Message 4 of 5 (394 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you so much! I followed your directions and now the game works beautifully! Thanks again for all of your help! 

Message 5 of 5 (377 Views)