Re: DA:I Downloaded in Steam, not opening in Origin

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DA:I Downloaded in Steam, not opening in Origin

★★★ Novice

First off this is my first time ever posting to a help forum so bear with me for a minute. My problem is that I recently purchased Dragon Age: Inquisition GOTY edition from Steam Summer sale. I downloaded the game through Steam just fine, no problems there, and linked up my Origin account to it, again no problems there. Where the issues start is that my Origin keeps showing that the game needs to be downloaded and when I attempt to open the game from either Origin or Steam, I get the little startup window but it freezes, then shows the game launching in Steam for a split second, then closes almost immediately and Origin tells me "The game Dragon Age™: Inquisition - Game of the Year Edition does not appear to be installed. Please install it or try relaunching the game." 
I've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Origin. I've tried a lot of the other tricks people were using but I can't even get the game open so those didn't really apply as much. I do have both Origin and Steam on 2TB external hard drive if that makes a difference, but I have other games that obviously work just fine from the hard drive. I really would like to play this game so if someone could help me that would be absolutely amazing! (I'm having the same issue with DA2 but if I can solve it for DA:I then I can solve it for DA2 as well!)

Message 1 of 20 (23,727 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Ok so after hours and hours and hours pouring over what to do and doing dozens of different things, I found that opening Origin in Windows 7 compatibility mode and Running as an Admin completely solved my situation! The games now work perfectly fine and I couldn't be happier!!

View in thread

Message 7 of 20 (23,498 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi @mary_e_bruce123

Can you try something for me in Origin to see if it helps? Look for DA:I in your Origin Library and right click on the game. Do you see a "Locate Game" option there? If so, try using that and locate where DA:I was installed through Steam. 

Let me know if you're still running into trouble launching it after that. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 20 (23,659 Views)

★★★ Novice

I went and checked my DA:I in Origin and it didn't show a Locate Game option.

Message 3 of 20 (23,640 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@mary_e_bruce123 

Hmm, gotcha. 

If you got to your Origin client settings, where is it currently set to look for your game Library? Is it set to your external drive, or is it set to a different storage drive? If it's using a different drive try changing it to the drive where DA:I is installed. 

Let me know if that helps at all. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 20 (23,615 Views)

★★★ Novice

So it appears that it was set to my main computer drive and not my external hard drive where I have them downloaded to, but once I changed to over to the external hard drive (and I tried multiple different folder locations and none worked) I was still running into the same problem. It still tells me that the game does not appear to be installed. 

Message 5 of 20 (23,604 Views)

Community Manager

@mary_e_bruce123 

Ah, I see. Thanks for giving that a shot as well. 

If you have the free space would it be possible to try reinstalling to your internal drive to see if that makes a difference? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 6 of 20 (23,563 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok so after hours and hours and hours pouring over what to do and doing dozens of different things, I found that opening Origin in Windows 7 compatibility mode and Running as an Admin completely solved my situation! The games now work perfectly fine and I couldn't be happier!!

Message 7 of 20 (23,499 Views)

Community Manager

@mary_e_bruce123 

Nice! Thanks for following up and letting me know how you were able to get it fixed. I'm glad to hear you were able to get it up and running. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 8 of 20 (23,474 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just had the same issue, and couldn't resolve it, so i contacted EA technical support as a final step before returning my purchase.

Basically the following steps i did: 

disable AV/Realtime scan

added DAI and origin to fw 

(these two steps i think were uneccessary)

uninstalled origin AND cleared localcache

(also started steam and origin in Admin mode)

DAI is working like a charm.

Message 9 of 20 (16,952 Views)

Community Manager

@chrissom 

Thanks for sharing this!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 10 of 20 (16,935 Views)