Re: Crashing on Startup

by Gorath_the_Elder

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Crashing on Startup

★★★★ Novice

Dragon age inquisition crashing on startup, I get a black screen for a couple seconds then back to desktop

All drivers are updated and my pc meets specs, and I don't get any error message

Message 1 of 120 (67,029 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero

@xx_mistraven_xx Sounds like you might have a different issue than the others on this thread, the AVG issue doesn't cause lag or crashing mid-game. It could possibly be the reason the game isn't starting now (though, as DarkAmaranth said, this would be the first time we're seeing it on an AMD GPU), so if you use AVG it's worth trying adding an exception or temporarily disabling it.

Do you have the game set to use Mantle or DX11? Sometimes switching that setting can help. Also, with AMD cards it sometimes helps to turn off the Shader Cache for the game in Radeon Settings (Radeon Settings > Gaming > Dragon Age Inquisition > Profile Graphics, you'll find the shader cache setting in there). 
If you can't get the game to load, try deleting the ProfileOptions_profile file from My Documents > Bioware > Dragon Age Inquisition > Saves. This will reset the graphics options for the game, so if it's one of those causing an issue, hopefully it will let the game load.

Have you checked if there are any new drivers for your GPU? If there are, be sure to do a clean install (instructions in Fred_vps post at the bottom of this sticky).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 74 of 120 (19,350 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert
Message 2 of 120 (66,740 Views)

★★ Apprentice

i have the same problem, here is mydxdiag:

http://hastebin.com/cocudejawo.tex

Message 3 of 120 (66,720 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@BulletSkye wrote:

i have the same problem, here is mydxdiag:

http://hastebin.com/cocudejawo.tex

Nothing in there waved any red flags to catch my attention.  The language difference hinders me, and I may have missed things that I would have caught, were I fluent in your language. 

Message 4 of 120 (66,708 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem on ps3

Message 5 of 120 (66,697 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

@mjolnir357 wrote:

Dragon age inquisition crashing on startup, I get a black screen for a couple seconds then back to desktop

All drivers are updated and my pc meets specs, and I don't get any error message

Have you seen the response with regard to your DxDiag? 

Message 6 of 120 (66,670 Views)

★ Novice

http://hastebin.com/uhebewazoc.tex

I'm having this issue as well.  The game starts up for a split second and then it's back to desktop.  It's worth noting that I've reinstalled this game twice now, and this time the English Voice Over dlc won't install properly.

Message 7 of 120 (66,635 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I can't help you with the language / voice.  I have no experience with any fault on that.  The type crashing we are discussing, for this engine, often involves conflicts it is getting from multiple devices, such as differing kinds of gamepads / controllers, or too many -- it apparently is limited to just two of the same make / model. 

I did see three different audio processors all enabled on just your one machine, and I know that can create a variety of problems, so disabling the spares is always a good idea. 

Message 8 of 120 (66,613 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Same for me on xbox one
Message 9 of 120 (66,590 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The operational natures of gaming consoles versus computers are too different to assume much of anything about similar-seeming symptoms.  I never wanted a game console, never owned one, never gifted one to a child or a grandchild.  I have played electronic games for 36 years, always on desktop computers. 

Message 10 of 120 (66,573 Views)