Constant Crashes, Forcing PC Reboot. Power Down.

by adk102283

Original Post

Constant Crashes, Forcing PC Reboot. Power Down.

★ Novice

Since release this game has been a real pain! On release day the game would crash, shut the whole computer down as soon as I started a new game, or attempted to run a benchmark test.

I contacted EA support and through some help I managed to open up %temp% delete all files, clear the dragon age cache, and repair the installation. Just like that the game worked flawlessly for 40 hours of play time. zero crashes and total enjoyment of the game I had purchased. I was very happy!

Now is where things take a turn. Ever since my last save at 41 hours in the game constantly crashes. Its always about 5-15 minutes in once loaded in ANY area.

I've tested it run around, cast bunches of spells and effects, or just stood in one spot and didn't move the camera at all. It still crashes, Shuts the whole computer down. every time. The only exception is the 'intro' If I start a new game the game will not crash until after I get to haven. No matter how long I leave it on or what I do it doesn't crash until I get to haven.

I've seen lots of similar issues and I have an open case ticket in EA support but NOTHING has got me back on and enjoying my game!! I am beyond frustrated and not getting any answers here. The game did and still does run super smooth and looks great on high settings on my computer. I meet and exceed all requirements. IT just crashes constantly there is no hangs or any sort of hint that it is going to crash it just does at some undisclosed time for some undisclosed reason.

Like I said it ran fine for 40 hours so I just want to figure out what thet issue is and get back to that 40 hours I had!! I enjoy this game but as of now it is completely unplayable and I am beyond frustrated at my purchase.

I hope that I can get a bioware answer here as EA tech support has tried but not been able to do much other than after initial release and since then those steps do not fix my issue.

Message 1 of 4 (440 Views)

Re: Constant Crashes, Forcing PC Reboot. Power Down.

★★ Guide

If your system is shutting down it is likely a power supply issue. You might want to check it has sufficient watts on the 12v rail.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Message 2 of 4 (412 Views)

★ Novice

The +12v rail is running at 11.89. All of my power seems to be just fine and not the weak link. The thing is I can play shadow of mordor, or Alien Isolation just fine for hours on end without PC shutdown, all other games in my library for that matter I just mention those two as they are the latest additions. ONLY Dragon Age causes crashes.

I have zero other performance issues. If anything I am starting to think that MAYBE the game is pegging my CPU to 100% and shutting down the PC. Something is clearly wrong with just this game!

Message 3 of 4 (386 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@adk102283 wrote:

The +12v rail is running at 11.89. All of my power seems to be just fine and not the weak link. The thing is I can play shadow of mordor, or Alien Isolation just fine for hours on end without PC shutdown, all other games in my library for that matter I just mention those two as they are the latest additions. ONLY Dragon Age causes crashes.

I have zero other performance issues. If anything I am starting to think that MAYBE the game is pegging my CPU to 100% and shutting down the PC. Something is clearly wrong with just this game!

what are your system specs?

it is possible that the shutdowns are being caused by overheating of cpu, gpu, or motherboard.

try checking to see if everything is as dust free as possible.. heatsinks, fans, etc. 

Are you monitoring your temps? if not try using msi afterburner, or similar program.

it is also possible that your system is drawing too much power causing the PSU to shut your system down, or to reboot.

if running the latest graphics card, or cards, a minimum of 600Watts is required, as the gpu may use 450W or more per card, and the cpu may use upwards of 120W....

the +12Volt rail, is probably fine voltage wise.... it's the amps you need to concern yourself about, with graphics cards.... your +12Volt rail should have a minimum of 15Amps with todays graphics cards. (mine has 4 rails each at 40A[across 850w] ) so that breaks down to 40A per 6+2 PCI-e connector.

My graphics cards use 450W each so that's 900W, and my CPU is rated at 125W... which means I seriously need to upgrade my PSU (900W)... so that will be my christmas gift to myself.... 1200/1300W

Message 4 of 4 (365 Views)