Re: Companions aren't bantering?

by chakuura

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Holy .... And here I thought they took out one of the few things Dragon Age 2 did really well. Hope they can get a fix for this (and a few other bugs) soon, guess I'll put my playthrough on hold for now. That does suck though, after getting so hyped up for DAI in the last couple of months and now that I have it, I still need to wait aaaaaaarrrggggghhhhhh

I'm on PC, not that far in, a little over 35 hours and I've heard maybe 3 conversation while in party, one between Solas and Varric how an apostate elf is the only one who joined the Inquisition voluntarily,  between Vivienne and Iron Bull(when I just got him and switched him into my party) how he should call her ma'am, between Vivienne and Sera about how Viv is snooty and that's all I can remember.

Message 161 of 388 (8,974 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this issue for the PS4 Deluxe edition. 60+ hours and the most banter I heard was probably during the prologue--since then, everyone's been suspiciously quiet. Makes me think they're planning a surprise party for my Inquisitor...or maybe a surprise murder. Who knows.

Message 162 of 388 (8,971 Views)

★ Novice

I've had this issue too, on Xbox 360 regular edition. I have about 68 hours of gameplay, and only had one or no banters per location, even when running around for over an hour in each place, even when switching up party members.

Message 163 of 388 (8,942 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Just to add to the sort of de-facto survey, I have the bug as well. So far I'm 40+ hours in on Xbox One and I've only had 4 non-quest party banters that I can recall: Cass and Varric on The Storm Coast, Viv and Varric in Crestwood, Bull and Solas in The Emerald Graves and Cass and Sera in The Hinterlands. I don't think I got any pre-Skyhold, but the game was so immersive that I didn't really notice. The Crestwood and Emerald Graves ones were within a few hours of each other, but the other two were 6+ hours apart.

Message 164 of 388 (8,929 Views)

★★ Novice

I've also got this bug (maybe 5 banters in 25 hours of play).

I asked a couple friends IRL if they've encountered it and both didn't realize it was a bug - they just thought there was very little banter in the game (one has 70 hours play and hasn't heard any banter at all for the past dozen or so hours). I bet that this bug is FAR more common than we think but most people don't realize they have it.

It's a shame - having seen streams of people playing it, it looks like the banter adds a lot.

Message 165 of 388 (8,902 Views)

★★★ Novice

Could some kind soul who does not have this bug upload their save somewhere (Dropbox or what have you) so those of us with bugged games can get an idea of how it should be?

This is such an odd glitch/bug because dialogue system works, just not very well it seems—we also have no clue on how it should be over a very long 60+ hour game.

Message 166 of 388 (8,839 Views)

★★ Novice

Agreed, that would at least let us test if this is a save game related problem, or a problem with the software/hardware/drivers/etc.

Bioware could also issue a statement about the mean time for banter, else I believe that we will be getting quite a few false reports, as well as missing reports from people who got the bug, but believe that they are fine.

Message 167 of 388 (8,828 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Just finished my first playthrough, I had between 10-15 banters throughout the game, did a lot of side quests and changed up my party composition a fair bit. I played an Female elf mage.

Message 168 of 388 (8,817 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Also having this issue. I'm about 55 hours in and rarely experience banter. I'll sometimes get non-plot related banter when first entering an area but not often. The only run I had of fairly frequent banter occurred while I was in Crestwood with Bull, Vivienne, and Cole-- it triggered around once every 5 minutes. Other that that it's been almost constantly silent, which is so disheartening. PS4 deluxe edition, female qunari mage.

Message 169 of 388 (8,807 Views)

★ Novice

I've been playing 50+ hours on PS4, non-deluxe disc edition with a female human mage. I've heard probably less than a dozen banters (I've tried many different party configurations). Last night I wandered through 3 hours of the Western Approach in dead silence. I didn't even realize until I read the bioware forum thread that there was meant to be combat dialogue and interactive banter, I've not seen a single one I can participate in. I'm not hearing much music either. 

I tried the mount/dismount/rest (the horse is the only mount I have) and audio setting tricks but nothing works for me. I feel heartbroken, the banter is my favorite part of the game. 

Message 170 of 388 (8,735 Views)