Can't load save, says I need latest patch, but I do have latest patch

by SerPounce91

Original Post

Re: Can't load save, says I need latest patch, but I do have latest patch

★ Apprentice

I've PM'd him my save file, but no response yet. Sucks even worse for me, since my save file was at 40 hours Frown

I've already started a new one because I really want to play, but I don't want to lose all my progress.

Message 11 of 32 (60,051 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I fixed it. It turns out its a mod problem. Save files made after using Mod Manager must always be opened in game with a Merged file in the Patch Directory Folder to work.

Follow these steps explained here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/116/?tab=5&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com...

If you dont want to use mods, u have to make a merged file anyway but only check the Official Patch in the Mod Manager and replace it with the files inside Patch folder in the game directory and the saves should work again.

Message 12 of 32 (60,042 Views)

★ Apprentice

Tried that, still hasn't worked for me :/

Message 13 of 32 (60,022 Views)

★ Apprentice

Ok, I tested it, and the mod problem is definitely what is wrong. I started a new game that had mods installed, then deleted the mods. The save no longer worked. I gotta keep trying this other solution. What exactly did you do to solve it? I tried what they did in the link you posted, but it still didn't seem to work

Message 14 of 32 (60,014 Views)

★ Apprentice

Finally got it to work!!! First, what SashaCorshev mentioned earlier about having to have the game modded to launch is true. But what you also need is the right Version number. Open the package.mft. Right now the current patch is 6. So you need to change it to 7 or 8 to get it to load. I tried 7 and it didn't work, but I just tried 8 and it worked!

Message 15 of 32 (72,633 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for the confirmation on this, and sorry for not being able to get back to you on this sooner. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 16 of 32 (59,978 Views)

★★★ Novice

@SashaCorshev wrote:

I fixed it. It turns out its a mod problem. Save files made after using Mod Manager must always be opened in game with a Merged file in the Patch Directory Folder to work.

Follow these steps explained here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/116/?tab=5&&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com...

If you dont want to use mods, u have to make a merged file anyway but only check the Official Patch in the Mod Manager and replace it with the files inside Patch folder in the game directory and the saves should work again.

I did this and now its stuck on the startup loading screen......

Message 17 of 32 (59,731 Views)

★ Novice

Does EA support modding? I would have been too afraid to post something like this unsure of what any EA employers would do if they saw it.

Well I guess it doesn't matter as long as I paid for the game right? I only wish they did what Witcher 3 did and will truly support modding making it easier for us to use the mods and not have to encounter problems like these. Not all the mods I like work even though there is a good amount of them I want. Too complicated or incompatible, its annoying. Anyways I have this exact same issue. I would like to play with the game modded, enjoying the game much more while doing so, however sometimes the mods just don't work, and its either a game that doesn't launch, or a game that does but I have to play a new game / multiplayer only.

Message 18 of 32 (55,745 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Verozth wrote:

@SashaCorshev wrote:

I did this and now its stuck on the startup loading screen......

Nah, if you have removed all mods you don't need to have a "merged" folder at all.  But you DO have to ensure that the "Version #" in the package.mft file, (found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\Update\Patch") is at least as great as it was when any given save was made.  If you "Repair" (or re-install) your game the Version is reset to the vanilla one appropriate for the latest patch, but your saves made after modding have a higher number.

So if a previous save won't load, edit the ".mft" file to increment the version.  Rinse-Repeat until the save loads.  Wink

Message 19 of 32 (55,726 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Gen_Awesomeness wrote:

Does EA support modding?
<snip>

BioWare's position on modding the Dragon Age (and Mass Effect) series have been consistent for years:

"We allow mods.  We even allow in-game assets to be ported, but only to mods for games within the same series.  We don't actively  support any mods."  (I presume this applies to single-player only.  It was written before there were multi-player games for either one.)

The Dragon Age Toolset is still available for download from the legacy BioWare Social site. It was released shortly after the (PC) release of DAO and was a product of the customization that the studio had done to the Eclipse game engine.  It had exactly one (extremely minor) update to fix a CtD issue, and was then abandoned, but not pulled.

DAI uses the FrostBite3 engine from DICE (also owned by EA) which is now the standard engine for all of EA's AAA games because of its interoperability across all three major game platforms (plus, no licensing fee!)  BioWare have said that any FB3 Toolset is up to DICE.  Who have said, "Maybe someday..."

Message 20 of 32 (55,717 Views)