Can't interact in Your Heart Shall Burn Single Player

by wispiest

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't interact in Your Heart Shall Burn Single Player

★ Novice

When I am playing (in Single Player) the combat parts of In Your Heart Shall Burn, wherein Haven is being attacked and destroyed, my controls stop working. It looks like lag, if I were playing an online game, but I'm single player. It also never seems to catch up (I have to go back to main menu and sometimes I have to close Inquisition entirely).

I can still use my auto attack key, but I cannot interact with anything and cannot use my non-default attacks. Escape works, but saving doesn't actually save and I get stuck if I try to go into Options.

It sometimes says something about losing connection to session, but I've gone offline, told it to not connect by default, and even tried disconnecting my network entirely. It's making it impossible to advance, as if nothing else I assume I need to be able to interact with the trebuchet. I am thankfuly on casual mode, or I'm quite sure that I would be dead by now. I've also removed all mods to see if that helped, but it's still a problem.

I'm on a PC, hastebinhere: https://hastebin.com/acugowagit.makefile

I have the game on my E: drive, along with my save files (for space reasons). Origin is on C:

Help?

Message 1 of 4 (1,105 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't interact in Your Heart Shall Burn Single Player

I wasn't sure how your system was set up.  Some laptops use a hybrid system for their video systems, and both Intel and higher cards are available to the output and will depend on system settings.  Sometimes it will also require going into your Nvidia control panel and selecting use this card all the time.  I have heard about this, but since I don't actually own a laptop and instead only have a full desktop, I can't actually walk you through the steps as something I have done. 

Some mods even with mod manager, have special instructions when uninstalling.  Most don't but you can't always depend on mod manager for every mod, and if problems arise, then looking for these instructions sometimes helps.  Also doing a full repair check afterwards is a good idea too.

As far as background programs goes, sometimes the stupidest programs cause issues.  As an example, I had a less powerful system a few years back playing DAI, and the game took up about 80% of my CPU when playing.  Every so often when playing I would get a game freeze for a few seconds, then a stutter, and then the game would be ok for awhile.  After much grumping and checking, I finally saw that a memory clearing program that was supposed to activate to clear ram when it was filling up, would activate and use about 25% of my CPU...which meant that between background processes, the game and the memory program, I needed about 120% of CPU....so it stuttered and caused issues.  The fix was fairly obvious I disabled(later removed entirely) the memory program and was able to play smoothly.  So since you were having stuttering like lag, then maybe something else is trying to use your CPU during this time for whatever reason, and thus causing issues.   That was why I said to disable them, to see if you were having something similar happen, and to try and rule out a cross program interference.

Glad you got past the issue, and hopefully you will have smooth sailing from here on out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (1,070 Views)

All Replies

Triple check that your Nvidia control panel is set to 100% use the Nvidia 1060 graphics card instead of the Intel one.  I could easily see this causing an issue after the cutscene. 

For origin, do two things, cut off cloud saves, and turn off Origin in game, and see if it makes a difference. 

Are you running any mods, or launch scripts(ie things such as 60FPS on cutscenes)?  If so, disable/remove and retry.   Edit: I see that you removed them, did you follow protocol by doing a repair of the game afterward and making sure any special instructions from the modder was followed??

Make sure you close out all background programs, such as twitch/chat, memory cleaners, maybe for a short time turn off Anti-virus(can also unplug the computer from internet for safety just make sure origin is offline before you do so.), and or clean boot the computer and try to play through this scene.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 2 of 4 (1,090 Views)

★ Novice

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply.

"Triple check that your Nvidia control panel is set to 100% use the Nvidia 1060 graphics card instead of the Intel one.  I could easily see this causing an issue after the cutscene. "

I am pretty sure that I am using the Nvidia card, as that seems to be the one that connects to the external monitor. I'm not sure what you mean by "set to 100%"?

"For origin, do two things, cut off cloud saves, and turn off Origin in game, and see if it makes a difference."

Yeah, did that. Already had cloud saves off, and while I forgot to say, I did turn off Origin in game as well.

"Edit: I see that you removed them, did you follow protocol by doing a repair of the game afterward and making sure any special instructions from the modder was followed??"

Um... I use the DAI Mod Manager for my mods, so I don't know that there are special instructions! I shall take another look in the future.

I _did_ manage to get past that scene (without mods) by repeatedly logging out when the interact problem happened, and it managed to keep my state even though saving wasn't working. I'm worried about the next time I play through on a new character eventually, though, so figuring this out cwould be awesome!

"Make sure you close out all background programs, such as twitch/chat, memory cleaners, maybe for a short time turn off Anti-virus(can also unplug the computer from internet for safety just make sure origin is offline before you do so.), and or clean boot the computer and try to play through this scene."

I had not been entirely sure which background programs to poke at - it sounds like you think all of them might have been necessary to avoid the interact problems. I shall come back to these thoughts when I play a new character. Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 4 (1,078 Views)

I wasn't sure how your system was set up.  Some laptops use a hybrid system for their video systems, and both Intel and higher cards are available to the output and will depend on system settings.  Sometimes it will also require going into your Nvidia control panel and selecting use this card all the time.  I have heard about this, but since I don't actually own a laptop and instead only have a full desktop, I can't actually walk you through the steps as something I have done. 

Some mods even with mod manager, have special instructions when uninstalling.  Most don't but you can't always depend on mod manager for every mod, and if problems arise, then looking for these instructions sometimes helps.  Also doing a full repair check afterwards is a good idea too.

As far as background programs goes, sometimes the stupidest programs cause issues.  As an example, I had a less powerful system a few years back playing DAI, and the game took up about 80% of my CPU when playing.  Every so often when playing I would get a game freeze for a few seconds, then a stutter, and then the game would be ok for awhile.  After much grumping and checking, I finally saw that a memory clearing program that was supposed to activate to clear ram when it was filling up, would activate and use about 25% of my CPU...which meant that between background processes, the game and the memory program, I needed about 120% of CPU....so it stuttered and caused issues.  The fix was fairly obvious I disabled(later removed entirely) the memory program and was able to play smoothly.  So since you were having stuttering like lag, then maybe something else is trying to use your CPU during this time for whatever reason, and thus causing issues.   That was why I said to disable them, to see if you were having something similar happen, and to try and rule out a cross program interference.

Glad you got past the issue, and hopefully you will have smooth sailing from here on out.

Message 4 of 4 (1,071 Views)