Re: Can not complete the floor tile puzzle in the temple of Mythal

by lachlann562

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

The solutions shown here are correct and do work. If need be print the diagrams, count your tiles carefully in each direction. The rest of your party has no effect on the tiles so, ignore them while solving these puzzles. I've also found that it works best solving the big gated one first, the one where you pull a lever.

Message 51 of 72 (17,583 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Hey so i had this too but if you complete it fast enough you can get through it. Holding the camera steady with the mouse and just using wasd works the best. After having to practice for a while i got to know the corners and it seemed to work with a speed run. I hope this works for other people.
Message 52 of 72 (2,003 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Yeah no never mind Disappointed
Message 53 of 72 (2,000 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Have the same problem... I am a bit surprised how many bugs there are still in this game...

Skip these rituals, luckily there's an alternative way. You just waste time and energy by trying this...

Message 54 of 72 (1,943 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

I never had any issue completing the rituals. Make sure to check @DarkAmaranth1966's response.

Message 55 of 72 (1,935 Views)

★★★ Novice

Respectfully, there are many players in this thread who have had issues, regardless of whether those couple of you have. I had no issues playing on my beefy Alienware, until it had to go into the shop and I tried to play on my considerably less beefy HP (which is still well within the rig parameters for the game). Eventually, I had to turn all of the graphics down to low, turn my resolution down to 25, turn off FRAPS, and put myself on walk. I still had problems twice, before (seemingly) lucking out and completing it on the third try after all of those modifications. 

I've played this game many times - it is not an issue of not knowing how to do the puzzles. Repeating some variation of "I've never has issues" or "you are making mistakes" is the antithesis of helpful.

Message 56 of 72 (1,919 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Not even attempting to troubleshoot the issue and waiting for a patch that won't come since the development of the game is finished will not help those players either @OleandersOne. It's interesting you're mentioning FRAPS. That's a useful information to ask to players in the future.

Message 57 of 72 (1,910 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I know this post is a little older but in the event anyone else encounters this bug I may have a possible reasoning and solution to it. At the very least this is a possible variation of this bug to which I experienced.

Follow the patterns as previously described in this thread however when you need to cross from a floor panel to the center area (the yellowish floor) where the lever is jump over the perimeter of it rather than walk. You will also want to jump over where the gates used to be as well (the ones you lower) but do not step onto the side where there is no panel. Don't make contact with the spot to which the gate is lowered in. It may still be a little buggy but I managed to finish it on my second try after doing it this way.

Now as for the reasoning. I believe this bug has something to do with the boundary of the center area and the floor panels somehow registering multiple steps as you cross from one to the other. Same with the original gated areas.

I believe this to be the case because of a few factors.

1. The Tactical camera seemed to have issues pathing onto this area at all, at least for me. I couldn't send anyone onto it but I could send them off. For instance if I was standing with the lever slightly to the left and behind me and in the tactical camera I told my character to move to the starting floor panel my character would immediately move to the panel to my right (the nearest panel) and follow the border (stepping on all the tiles) to get to that panel rather than heading in a straight line to it.
  2. The companions seemed to never want to stand on center floor unless I was controlling them. If I told them to hold position and than swap character the game would warp them to the perimeter (onto the floor tiles).
  3. One of the times I attempted to move my character from the center area to the first panel using the tactical camera failed. I told it to move onto the floor panel and he lifted his leg and kind of wobbled back and forth in place with his foot hanging in the air while it trying to figure out how to cross. My character than turned around a couple times and walked in place and continued to do that until I manually forced it to step onto the panel.

I'm sorry for the length of this post but this was what I came up with and believe to be the case. I hope it helps!

Edit: I should also add that I did not use the tactical camera to move my character on my successful attempt after using these methods.

Message 58 of 72 (1,842 Views)

★★ Novice

Just to add another data point, I'm hit by the bug too. Note that this backup rig is below min spec - dual-core Athlon, 3 gigs RAM, 6670 vidcard - so I don't have that much to complain about.Really, I'm surprised the game runs at all.

Message 59 of 72 (1,781 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@vyper249257provided great information, like you suspected it looks to be a boundary bug. I tried moving companions completely outside the area and that helped. i suspect they "bump" you and double trigger. using tactical camera carefully helped somewhat but it was hard to complete the back area in time and need to drop out of it to use the lever.

My eventual solution was to jump from one tile to another in the front area, by jumping i ensured i never caught the edge and always landed at least moderately to the cetner. i was able to take my time without a problem other than the back area. i just ran through there using awsd to make sure the gate didn't catch me. jumping over the gate sections.

Like others indicated. this is not a case of "knowing" the steps but a case of avoiding clipping problems.

Hope this helps someone else!

Message 60 of 72 (1,536 Views)