Re: Black screen after character creation

by Leora85

Original Post

Black screen after character creation

★★ Novice

Hello,

I just bought the game, and I am stuck after the character creation, the same bug that I have when launching the benchmark : when it finishes to load, I see one frame and then I have the black loading screen with the green symbol in the corner, and the game is frozen.

Here is my DxDiag : http://hastebin.com/egoyomoyag.tex

I have tried a lot of things found on the net but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks in advance, I really want to play the game Standard smile

Message 1 of 9 (2,636 Views)

Hero

There are a few errors at the end of the dxdiag (AppCrash for DragonAgeInquisition.exe), though I don't know what to do with that information. Perhaps try contacting EA if nothing else helps?
Do you have 2 Nvidia cards in your computer, or is it the same one showing up twice under display devices for some strange reason? Or do you have 2 monitors? (Just noticed they had different monitor names). Pretty much the only thing that stood out in your dxdiag other than the multiple apphang errors for DragonAgeInquisition.exe down the bottom.
Have you tried turning graphics settings down, running in windowed mode, etc? 
Just to check, are you using any mods? (I doubt it, but doesn't hurt to ask).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 9 (2,630 Views)

★★★ Expert

See this thread for instructions on dealing with AppHangB1 (Which is what is going on here.) http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/AppHangB1-Error-crash-Direct-X-Windows/td-p/3484569

it is a system file error, while the steps here generally fix it, you may have to go so far as to do a system restore and, run an reputable registry cleaner such as CCleaner. It may be as simple as malware or a virus or, a minor hard disk error but, it might be more than that and require a bit of doing to solve.

Message 3 of 9 (2,618 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello,

I have one card with two monitors plugged on it.

I have tried turning the graphics down, it doesn't work either, and I'm almost always playing in windowed mode. The only moment where I "saw" something, was with graphics turned way down, and compatibility mode set to Windows 7, but then the benchmark only lasted 5 seconds with pretty awful graphics, going too fast, and then same crash again (black screen).

No mod installed either.

Message 4 of 9 (2,614 Views)

Hero

Have you tried unplugging one of the monitors? (What do you even do with 2? Tongue out I've always wondered). Might do nothing, but simple enough to try. If that's fruitless (likely), try DarkAmaranth's suggestion or contacting EA (link in my previous post). 
Some people have had a bit of trouble with this game when it comes to Windows 10, too... This is why I'm not going anywhere near it for the time being. Tongue out 

Hope you can get it working, it's a great game. 

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile

Message 5 of 9 (2,607 Views)

★★★ Expert

Nividia has long had issues with DAI. You need to disable MSAA in game option and, make sure the game is set to run in single display mode in the Nvidia Control panel. That should help.

Message 6 of 9 (2,594 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried to disable my second monitor, disabled MSAA and forced single display mode, nothing changed. The SFC (System File Check) was clear too.

I am checking this link now : http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/AppHangB1-Error-crash-Direct-X-Windows/td-p/3484569

Thank you.

Message 7 of 9 (2,582 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello,

I contacted the support, and after many steps, they asked me to follow these steps :

And guess what, it worked. And it led me to the reason why it wasn't working in the first place. On the new user account, my custom input method wasn't switched on.
I use an alternate keyboard and input method : Bépo, the French equivalent of the Dvorak. I just had to switch to Azerty or Qwerty on my main user account to make the game load perfectly.
It's strange because I never had any problems before on any game or app.

In any case, thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 9 (2,530 Views)

Hero

Glad you got it sorted. That's a weird bug for a keyboard layout to cause. Enjoy the game Standard smile

Message 9 of 9 (2,521 Views)