Re: Between 2 PCs for Inquisition

by mcsupersport

Original Post

Between 2 PCs for Inquisition

[ Edited ]
★ Novice
So, I'm about to lose my mind over a gaming desktop... I'd love to play Inquisition with mods, ultimately, and so I'm clearly ready to sink some money into this bad boy (also since the last and final patch, my xbox Inquisition has been insanely buggy... I stop playing for a year and come back to some of the worst bugs I've ever experienced. I hear there are mods to help). Granted, not fancy money... But some (700-800 being the higher end of what I'd be comfortable killing myself over). I figure it's been seven years since Inquisition came out, I should be able to buy a PC well below 1k in 2021 that can run this thing on high. If not, PC players truly are buying into a total scam.

I'm hardcore xbox. Like, hardcore XB, only games I've played on a PC are Nancy Drew games from the early 2000s on a PC from the 90s. I'm very intimidated by PCs. Console is so easy, just pop the game in and you're good to go! Never spend another dime on it! In my googling, I've determined all PC players are sadists. I have no idea what is what, I don't care to build a PC even if it would save me money, I'm done. I want it to come ready from the box.

So, I've narrowed it down to two PCs which seem like they would crush this game - at least according to three websites that compare system specs and Inquisitions recs (I could be totally wrong and y'all could tell me it wouldn't run a potato, I don't know):

I can't figure it out. I feel like both will work well enough, I really don't know what I'm stressing out about. I guess I'm just struggling over whether or not to invest in CPU or RAM? If I'm understanding anything even remotely correctly. If someone could look at these and give me a "PC for absolute dummies" breakdown, it'd be greatly appreciated. Or just tell me which one to buy if either is viable. Obviously, I can't figure it out.
Message 1 of 2 (413 Views)

Re: Between 2 PCs for Inquisition

The HP omen is actually showing out of stock when I looked at it, and it is probably the one I would have went with.  Though on a downside with omen, it looks like a custom style case, and may limit reuse or upgrade.  The 1660ti is a better card than the 1650 super, so that is the one I would want, even if the listing is for a Refurbished unit instead of new...though maybe you are buying from somewhere else.

You have probably picked one of the worst times to try and get into PC gaming, because video cards are a rare breed right now due to a couple of world wide factors.  Pre-built is a pretty good way to go right now, since the OEM builders get a special selection of CPUs and GPUs and thus bypassing many of the issues an individual would face.  Ram is working memory for the PC, more is generally better, but anything 8gigs and up will work with preference of 16-32 gigs but 8-16 is fine.  Depending on manufacturer, Ram is USUALLY upgradable after purchase fairly easily, so on initial purchase if you have a choice between CPU and Ram, go with CPU. 

There are whole YouTube channels you can watch on which CPU, GPU, cases, power supplies, motherboards are better.  For playing DAI, both those machines should do well enough, and SHOULD be able to handle many newer games at 1080p.  Building PC's isn't really that hard, and if you find you enjoy playing on a PC, I would suggest watching some of those YouTube channels and later building your own rig.  Now, building your own rig isn't necessary by any means, it just a good way to learn and usually get a better deal for your money.  It allows you to get the exact brands of parts you want, mixing and matching as you need, and also allows easy(usually) upgrading of individual components to keep your machine current without having to buy a complete new PC everytime it gets old.

So basically, either will work, pick the one you can get and enjoy.  Take your time and in the future, spend time learning about your new hardware and what it will take to upgrade it or replace.  Hope something in this rambling mix helps you, and I hope you have fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 2 (379 Views)