Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

[AVG/Avast] Inquisition won't open on PC (Re-occurring after Origin update)

by raynkure
Reply

Original Post

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

★★ Apprentice

Has this worked out for anyone? I'll try anything for a fix to this.

Message 11 of 230 (17,203 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

★★★ Expert

I've deleted the patch folder contents several times, then repaired the game but, I test mods so, have to do that when I get a bad one in there. It won't hurt the game but if anything in that folder is corrupted or damaged, it will put it back to the original files of the current patch. I've never deleted the exe file, just the command line arguments I have tested here and there, should not need to delete that file. If the game files have become so damaged or corrupted that you need to delete that, you need to uninstall, run both hardware (especially the hard disk) checks and repairs and, a full system virus scan, then redownload and install the game.

Message 12 of 230 (17,195 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Hero

@raynkure So, can we add you to the list of people having the problem described in this thread? Just helps to know if you're having the same problem, or if yours differs in some way. 

So far everyone who's posted a dxdiag or mentioned GPU has a NVidia GPU, wondering if perhaps there's a recent driver which doesn't get along with this game or something.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile


CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 13 of 230 (17,183 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Hero

@Leora85 wrote:

@raynkure So, can we add you to the list of people having the problem described in this thread? Just helps to know if you're having the same problem, or if yours differs in some way. 

So far everyone who's posted a dxdiag or mentioned GPU has a NVidia GPU, wondering if perhaps there's a recent driver which doesn't get along with this game or something.


It wouldn't be a first for Nvidia. They once released a driver that broke compatibility with Dragon Age 2 and they still haven't fixed that.



CCP Hero Banner - Red.png


Message 14 of 230 (17,175 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Hero

@raynkure Another question, are you using AVG at all? Some people with this issue have found that temporarily disabling or uninstalling AVG has solved this issue, so it's something to try if you're using AVG. Standard smile


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile


CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 15 of 230 (17,169 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Leora85 wrote:

@raynkure Another question, are you using AVG at all? Some people with this issue have found that temporarily disabling or uninstalling AVG has solved this issue, so it's something to try if you're using AVG. Standard smile


I had the same issue, and as it turned out it was my AVG acting up and blocking it for whatever reason. However, instead of uninstalling or disabling AVG, what I did to fix it was add the game to the "exceptions" list. Click the Options dropdown menu in the upper right corner of AVG, then select "advanced options". Click on "Exceptions" in the advanced options menu, then click "add an exception". Find the Dragon Age: Inquisition executable in your files (it should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition) and select it to add it to your AVG exceptions, and voila! My game started up with no problems after that.

 

[admin edit]

 

This issue still seems to be occurring for new Origin updates in November '16.

 

Message 16 of 230 (67,655 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Hero

@MightBeMagical Just to clarify, was that in the past few days? This AVG issue is very recent, and I'm sure many people would be happy if they could just add an exception instead of disabling/uninstalling AVG (I would have thought there'd already be an exception to allow the game to access the internet... maybe that's why this issue hasn't affected me).


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile


CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 17 of 230 (17,147 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

★★★ Apprentice

@Leora85 wrote:

@MightBeMagical Just to clarify, was that in the past few days? This AVG issue is very recent, and I'm sure many people would be happy if they could just add an exception instead of disabling/uninstalling AVG (I would have thought there'd already be an exception to allow the game to access the internet... maybe that's why this issue hasn't affected me).


Yes, this was just last night, actually. I've been playing Inquisition since it first came out, and when it refused to launch I knew something must be wrong because I've got nearly 800 hours of gameplay logged! Thought it might have been my mods, but when I saw this thread and read that AVG might be to blame, I decided to give that a go.

I do believe AVG just had an update in the past few days, maybe that's the issue? Anyway, if anyone having this problem has AVG, try adding DA:I to the exceptions list. Definitely the easiest way to find out if AVG is the problem!

Message 18 of 230 (17,141 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Hero

@MightBeMagical Thanks for the clarification Standard smile Much better way to deal with the problem!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a post solves your issue, please mark it as solved, it may help others with the same issue in future. Standard smile


CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 19 of 230 (17,136 Views)

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

Community Manager

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their contribution. On Niah_Dark's request we're going to make this a sticky to increase visibility, as a number of folks appear to be affected by the AVG issue. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 20 of 230 (17,061 Views)
Twitter Stream