[AVG/Avast] Inquisition won't open on PC (Re-occurring after Origin update)

by raynkure

Original Post

Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

★ Novice

Maker's breath!
I love you. After week without Dragon Age...

May Andraste bless you for this Standard smile

Message 31 of 230 (9,900 Views)

Message 32 of 230 (9,899 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi again!

I solved my issue by updating DA:I through Origins, even if it doesn't need to be updated. Then I ran the game as Admin through the desktop, and it works fine. Standard smile Just gotta remember to do the lil update every time before. Standard smile

Message 33 of 230 (9,897 Views)

Community Manager

@ZetsuAiPlays Thanks for coming back with your fix. Sorry if I misunderstand, but are you saying you need to update the game every time you need to play? This shouldn't be happening and it's something we'll want to try to get past. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 34 of 230 (9,878 Views)

★★★ Expert

I agree David, Ladyringo should not need to update every time she plays. My first guess would be that repair would also work.

Ladyringo, make the DAI install and documents based folder both exceptions or exclusions form your anti virus scans. I suspect the AV is seeing a false positive on some bit in there and removing it when it scans your computer. Lets see if that helps and stops the daily update drill. If not maybe someone else has another idea or has dealt with this themselves.

Sometimes I hate having a game that never has an issue. (other than those I encounter while testing and intentionally trying to cause a problem.)

Message 35 of 230 (9,875 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello again!

I did add them to exceptions, but perhaps I went about it the wrong way? Here's a screenshot of the exceptionlist. http://imgur.com/27L9uaF

My apologies for not being a tech when it comes to games and things like that.

Reverted back to the previous exceptions, and now I can't play at all, not even with the Update option I had before. Frown

Message 36 of 230 (9,872 Views)

★★★ Expert

LadyRingo, some people have found that they have to disable AVG or, even uninstall it and go to a different AV program. I would suggest the latter for you, AVAST and BitDefender are good options, as is Norton (what I have) Look into those and see which one you would prefer that is worth the cost to you, some are free. Norton is not but, it's a comprehensive, very good service and suite to have.

Message 37 of 230 (9,864 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did as you said. Standard smile
Avast is now my AV program, and I added the Origins and DA:I folders as exceptions.

Started the game as admin, it shut down after a few seconds, and said it had stopped working. So then I did the update thing, started again as Admin, and I got in the game. No idea what is causing this, though.

Message 38 of 230 (9,855 Views)

★★★ Expert

Okay let's have a look at your DXDiag and see if there is a clue there as to what might be going on. Instructions for getting and linking to that report can be found in this thread.

How to Post Relevant information

Message 39 of 230 (9,851 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Alright, here we are: http://hastebin.com/ujimecoyob.tex

I know that my laptop isn't optimal to run the game on, so no need to point that out. Standard smile Upgrades isn't a prio for me, financially. 

Message 40 of 230 (9,838 Views)