Re: Inquisition won't open on PC

by DarkAmaranth1966

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[AVG/Avast] Inquisition won't open on PC (Re-occurring after Origin update)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

It's been about 2 months since I last played Inquisition and when trying to fire up the game yesterday, it opened a black window for about a second before closing immediately. Task Manager shows that Inquisition and ActivationUI will appear and then disappear, and then the greyed-out Play button in Origin turns orange again. I have no mods installed, just vanilla game, but I have the DLCs Trespasser and The Black Emporium. I THINK my game is already set to run in windowed borderless from the last time it had display issues, but I'm not too sure. I'm on a system with integrated graphics as well as a Nvidia card, if that helps at all. Also Inquisition is set to run using the Nvidia card using the Nvidia control panel.

Here's my hastebin. http://hastebin.com/usuwuxinok.tex

I don't know if this is related or not but somewhere during those 2 months of not playing, I moved some saves out of the Bioware folder since I had too many and the game wouldn't let me save any more. When I tried to open the game the first time yesterday, Origin notified me that my local saves weren't in sync with my cloud saves, and asked whether I would like to sync the local or the cloud saves. I clicked local. Don't know if moving my saves did anything to make the game not work anymore, but yeah.

I've tried:

- restarting my computer

- repairing the game in Origin

- running the game in offline mode

- disabling Origin in-game for this product

- updating my Nvidia drivers

- running both Origin and Inquisition as administrator

- adding Inquisition and the launcher to my firewall

- disabling my firewall

Spoke to a EA technical chat advisor a couple hours ago who looked at my DxDiag and told me my graphics drivers hadn't been updated since 2013, but turns out he was looking at the info for my Intel driver and not the Nvidia one, which I update fairly regularly. I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled the game yet as it's a bit tedious (my game was installed from disc) and I won't have the time to let it run for another couple of weeks, so that's my last resort (and I don't know if it'll work). I also don't want to lose all my saves, and if I have to copy out my current saves in order to restore them after the reinstall, makes me wonder if that'll break my game again.

Message 1 of 230 (92,355 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@Leora85 wrote:

@raynkure Another question, are you using AVG at all? Some people with this issue have found that temporarily disabling or uninstalling AVG has solved this issue, so it's something to try if you're using AVG. Standard smile

I had the same issue, and as it turned out it was my AVG acting up and blocking it for whatever reason. However, instead of uninstalling or disabling AVG, what I did to fix it was add the game to the "exceptions" list. Click the Options dropdown menu in the upper right corner of AVG, then select "advanced options". Click on "Exceptions" in the advanced options menu, then click "add an exception". Find the Dragon Age: Inquisition executable in your files (it should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition) and select it to add it to your AVG exceptions, and voila! My game started up with no problems after that.

[admin edit]

This issue still seems to be occurring for new Origin updates in November '16.

View in thread

Message 16 of 230 (90,510 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Have you tried deleting the file ProfileOptions_profile in your save folder?

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 230 (92,069 Views)

★★★ Expert

Make sure the game is using your Nvidia GPU. It sounds like it's trying to use the intel chipset and, that won't work.

Message 3 of 230 (92,058 Views)

Hero

@DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:

Make sure the game is using your Nvidia GPU. It sounds like it's trying to use the intel chipset and, that won't work.

@raynkure already mentioned this.

Even so, the Intel HD 4600 should launch the game, even if it runs terribly.

Message 4 of 230 (92,045 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Fred_vdp wrote:

Have you tried deleting the file ProfileOptions_profile in your save folder?

I haven't yet, mainly because I don't know what the significance of the file is, and didn't consider deleting it before. Could I ask what the file does (and of how much importance it is) before I delete it? Like, just to be safe and all. Should I ensure it's backed up somewhere before deleting it, will the game create a new one if it starts up at all?

Message 5 of 230 (92,047 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Fred_vdp wrote:

@DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:

@raynkure already mentioned this.

Even so, the Intel HD 4600 should launch the game, even if it runs terribly.

Yes, before I updated my drivers when I first started playing Inquisition, the game would run using the Intel GPU as the Nvidia card did not recognise the game. It was just very slow and would barely run on the lowest settings. Not sure if related to the current issue, but once I updated the drivers and the game started running on the Nvidia card I had to turn it up to high as a weird fix to combat the cutscenes suddenly running at 2x speed.

Message 6 of 230 (92,037 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

ProfileOptions_profile contains your game settings. By deleting it, you reset all your options and the game will create a new file. This may be helpful in case there's an option enabled that somehow blocks you from launching the game (for instance if Mantle is enabled on a PC that doesn't support it). You could back it up if you want to be safe.

Just to act contrarian, could you tell the Nvidia control panel to launch the game on the Intel GPU instead? That way we could rule out the graphics card.

Message 7 of 230 (92,030 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Fred_vdp wrote:

ProfileOptions_profile contains your game settings. By deleting it, you reset all your options and the game will create a new file. This may be helpful in case there's an option enabled that somehow blocks you from launching the game (for instance if Mantle is enabled on a PC that doesn't support it). You could back it up if you want to be safe.

Just to act contrarian, could you tell the Nvidia control panel to launch the game on the Intel GPU instead? That way we could rule out the graphics card.

Just tried removing ProfileOptions_profile and then launching the game both using Nvidia and Intel, no dice either way. I also tried both GPUs before removing ProfileOptions, also no difference.

I also tried launching some other Origin games (Sims 4 and DA2) which both opened fine. I'm not keen to reinstall the game, but it's looking like it may come to that? I don't recall changing anything belonging to the game files (except moving some saves around) since I was last able to launch it.

I have a help topic for this issue on the DA reddit (thought I'd try my luck there as well) and someone suggested "Delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition\Update\Patch folder and the DragonAgeInquisition.exe, then repair the game in Origin." I'm wary of just deleting game files willy nilly though in case I make things worse.

Message 8 of 230 (92,016 Views)

★★★ Expert

That's the patch folder where all patches, and any mods are kept. Deleting the CONTENTS of that folder then repairing the game forces it to repatch itself and can correct corrupted files.

Message 9 of 230 (92,008 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:

That's the patch folder where all patches, and any mods are kept. Deleting the CONTENTS of that folder then repairing the game forces it to repatch itself and can correct corrupted files.

Okay, so I shouldn't delete the folder itself but just the contents? How about deleting the DragonAgeInquisition.exe itself as mentioned, is that okay too? Sorry for the extensive questions and all. Just wary about deleting stuff that can't be replaced.

Message 10 of 230 (91,979 Views)