Re: AMD driver version

by Gorath_the_Elder

Original Post

Accepted Solution

AMD driver version not detected properly

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello!

Trying to install DA:I on an iMac (Radeon 6970M, Win8.1 64bit via bootcamp). After running the game, I receive the following message:

Please update your AMD Radeon driver

Detected AMD Radeon driver version 12.8. The required driver version is 13.12 or later. Please update your drivers at http://www.amd.com/ before playing the game.

Ok, easy enough. I updated the driver to version 14.301 using the dedicated driver (see http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp ). The message still appears when trying to run the game. It looks like the game does not read the driver version properly.

The new driver is working (tested in other games). The device manager and DxDiag both agree that the driver version is in fact 14.301 and do not report any problems.

Here are the DxDiag logs: http://pastebin.com/6ZRnhD86

I'm going to try to reinstall the game and see if this works. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 7 (2,779 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: AMD driver version not detected properly

★ Novice

Ok, solved it.

You need to uninstall the AMD drivers completely (device manager -> graphics card -> driver ->uninstall), and then install it again.

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (3,015 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

Ok, solved it.

You need to uninstall the AMD drivers completely (device manager -> graphics card -> driver ->uninstall), and then install it again.

Message 2 of 7 (3,016 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello Eipifi!

I had exactly the same problem, except that I've got a MacBook Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits) installed in my Bootcamp. I also have a AMD Radeon HD 6750M.

Anyway: I received the same message and felt somehow hopeful after reading your second post. However, I've uninstalled all the AMD drivers and I still receive the message. Since my computer is in another language, I'm also not really sure whether I have to uninstall the same thing you said.

I made an screenshot of what I see in the section you mention. Is the selected item what I have to uninstall? It doesn't literally say "graphic card", it says "screen adapter". But I cannot find anything related to AMD nor graphic cards in the Device manager....

Here is the screenshot

Sorry for the noob post :/ please don't throw stones at me X_D

Message 3 of 7 (2,508 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

This is a longtime failure in the way AMD drivers update when you do not properly run a totally clean install.  You must do it all over.  Completely remove every trace of the current driver and CCC.  Tell the Windows Device manager that the GPU is removed.  It will cancel the driver, but it isn't thorough enough.  Obtain and use a product such as Ccleaner to remove every trace from the Windows OS' Registry.

Then, and only then, install a fresh Radeon driver set.  

P. S.  There are numerous version flags within the Catalyst software; for whatever reason a very few games are looking at a particularly obscure location that normally just doesn't matter.  That's what has happened here. 

Message 4 of 7 (2,493 Views)

★★★ Novice
Copy that!
Thank you for your quick reply. I'll do as you told me and post again when it's solved!
Message 5 of 7 (2,489 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Eipifi wrote:

Ok, solved it.

Graphics card doesn't show up?

Message 6 of 7 (2,270 Views)

Re: AMD driver version

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@ClorissaMorgan wrote:

Graphics card doesn't show up?

You should have been more specific: 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Dragon-Age-Inquisition/How-to-post-the-relevant-info-when-you-create-a-ques...

You also should not have broken the forum rules by creating duplicate posts on the same subject. 

Message 7 of 7 (2,264 Views)