Won't Launch after Command Line Input

by TheWizardofMars

Original Post

Won't Launch after Command Line Input

★★ Novice

I attempted to enable the developer console via Origin but after I input the command line argument the game wouldn't launch. I deleted it for a moment and the game launched without failure. Is there any way to resolve this or is there another way to enable the developer console? I own a Mac. 

Message 1 of 9 (876 Views)

Re: Won't Launch after Command Line Input

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@TheWizardofMars wrote:

<snip>
I own a Mac. 

Well, there's your problem, lady.  :eahigh_file:

TBH, I don't think there's anything you can do.

But are you running the Mac version?  (I don't even know if there is one.)  Or are you running Windows under WINE, or CIDER, or Bootcamp, or something?

Because if the former, and presuming you have the exactly correct command line entry,

-enabledeveloperconsole

then it simply isn't working in the Mac version.

If the latter, then there may be some hope.

Message 2 of 9 (859 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Unfortunately, it's the former. According to the wiki I could have also accessed the devconsole it via the config file, but there's no such file on my computer. It probably isn't accessible with the Origin direct download. Guess that's what I get for buying a game intended for PC. Embarrassed Thanks anyway.

Message 3 of 9 (841 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@TheWizardofMars;  There are mods for most of the things people use the Command Console to accomplish.  What are you trying to do?

Message 4 of 9 (826 Views)

★★ Novice
I’m actually stuck at a level (Offered & Lost) and wanted to use a mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage2/mods/3921/) to kill all hostiles, but according to the mod’s description I needed to input a code into the command console in order for it to work.
Message 5 of 9 (820 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Ahhh... Are you sure you don't have the config file?

Found this tip on another site:

======

With the Finder active, hold down the option key then click on Go in the menu bar. Any time you have that menu open and you're holding the option (alt) key, you'll see a link to the library.

You could also do a Shift+Apple+G and paste ~/library into the prompt.

======  

So maybe you're not seeing the file/folder because it's "hidden" by default?

[EDIT1:  I have never used a Mac, so I have no idea if the above really applies.]

[EDIT2: And this was me from almost four years ago.  You have tried this, right?

=====

From within EA/Origin:

Right-click (or whatever you Applephiles do when told to "right-click") on the game title image in the "My Games" library and choose "Game Properties", then in the start-up parameters box type: " -enabledeveloperconsole " (without the quotation marks, but with the leading dash.)

=====

Message 6 of 9 (806 Views)

★★ Novice

I already managed to find the config file and edited it according to this set of instructions: 

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Enable_Dragon_Age_2_developer_console

However, when I tried to access the console in-game it refused it open (I am aware it is invisible; when the console is open I can't use any control keys but my game did not "pause"). I set the devconsole in the keybindings folder as "Grave"/tilde (default) and later tried "Z" but neither worked.

Message 7 of 9 (790 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

That Wiki article looks correct.

What, exactly, are you setting in the KeyBindings.ini file?

(Oh, and you said you set the "folder"...?  That's not right.  We're not talking about a folder here.)

Some people type the [ ` ] character.  That won't ever work.

Some people type [ kanji ].  That's been known to work.

But my DA2 (and DAO) setting is just as shown in that article:

OpenConsole_0=Keyboard::Button_Grave

(Note the double colon after "Keyboard".)

Good Luck!

Message 8 of 9 (779 Views)

★★ Novice

My bad, I meant the keybindings.ini file. As I said I tried editing it to [ Kanji ] and well as the default [ Grave ] then pressing the [ ` ] key in-game, but I can't access it either way. 

Message 9 of 9 (754 Views)