Re: Performance awful after pc upgrade

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Performance awful after pc upgrade

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I recently built a new pc and decided to finish an old playthrough of Dragon Age 2, but after installing the game, I'm shocked to learn that the game runs much much worse on my new computer than it did on my old one, like 24 fps, which is kind of ridiculous if you look at my specs, which I have provided in a dxdiag file. Probably a lot more info than is needed, but whatever. I'm probably missing something pretty obvious, but does anyone know what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

In the case that this is relevant, I haven't had any problems with other games. I can run many other, more modern and graphically intensive games at max resolution, 60 fps. I imagine there is an optimization issue specific to DA2 that I'm getting tripped up on.

Message 1 of 3 (602 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Welp, I don't know what was causing the problem but it seems to have solved itself.

I don't know what I could have done that fixed it, but among the things I had tried was a system restart, moving the game's install directory from my SSD to hard drive, and disabling the Origin overlay. I don't know which of these caused it, but if anyone with similar specs is having the problems I was, there you go.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (572 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Welp, I don't know what was causing the problem but it seems to have solved itself.

I don't know what I could have done that fixed it, but among the things I had tried was a system restart, moving the game's install directory from my SSD to hard drive, and disabling the Origin overlay. I don't know which of these caused it, but if anyone with similar specs is having the problems I was, there you go.

Message 2 of 3 (573 Views)

Hero

Disabling the Origin overlay probably did it. That's also how you fix framerate problems in Mass Effect.

keep in mind, though, that in Dragon Age Inquisition it's better to turn it back on to decrease load times. EA is developing a new game launcher, though, so I'm not sure how long that advice will remain relevant.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 3 (558 Views)