Mark of the Assassin DLC has no sound or dialogue texts

by pinkkbuddha

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mark of the Assassin DLC has no sound or dialogue texts

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

I just bought the Mark of the Assassin DLC and it seemed to install just fine.  I started by clicking the new item in the mansion and it seemed odd that there was a dialogue window with no text but "yes" and "no". Then a cinematic with Cassandra Pentaghast and Varric started but they didn't move their lips and there was no sound at all, no words, no music. Then Felicia Day appeared, still without sound. I then could talk to her but I couldn't hear what she said (also there were no subtitles at all although I have subtitles enabled for everything) and when she was finished talking the typical dialogue options appeared but all they said was "missing dialogue text" instead of the actual text. 

How can I fix this? I bought and downloaded it from Origin and I have tried downloading it from the Bioware website but I couldn't install it because it said I didn't have Dragon Age 2 installed? 

If anyone could help me, I'd be reaaally grateful because I LOVE FELICIA DAY :D (Also this DLC was my reward for doing something hard today and I really want to play it! Confusedmileytongue:

Message 1 of 8 (5,663 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mark of the Assassin DLC has no sound or dialogue texts

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi! I guess you are not interested in the answer anymore, but in case others have the same problem, here it is.

First, Origin really messes things up with languages (comon guys, was it that hard to put a "language option" which can be changed depending on the game, like on St..m ?). To run your DA2 (basic game) in English :

1. open the folder: (Disk:\)Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age 2\Settings
  2. open the DragonAge file in a text editor
  3. change these lines and save:
    • Locale=en-us
    • VOLanguage=en-us

Origin will download the correct files. Tricky but easy, right? However this does not apply to the DLC content "Legacy", "Mark of the Assassin" and "The Exiled Prince" (you needed a little challenge here, sweet thing).

Firstly, go check this folder: (Disk:\)Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\addins\da2_prc_drk\module\audio\vo

If, as I, you do not have a "en-us" folder but only the language you installed DA2 in in the first place (like for me: fr-fr), then proceed to these steps for all three DLC:

1. visit this website to download their executable version: https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#dragonage
  2. open the .exe file with 7zip ("open archive"), travel to: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\audio\vo\
    • where: xxx=drk for Legacy
    • xxx=seb for ExiledPrince
    • and xxx=eye for MarkOfTheAssassin
  3. extract the en-us folder (our Holy Grail of Andraste!!)
  4. copy it to the Origin installation folder as previously stated: (Disk:\)Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\audio\vo
  5. I'd remove the fr-fr, you know, just to be safe, but not sure it is mandatory

This is for the voices. Then for the text (text wheel and subtitles), you need to do the same steps for the files (found in the archive dowloaded on step 1):

• da2_prc_xxx_c_en-us.tlk, which is in: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\core\data\talktables\
  • da2_prc_xxx_en-us.tlk, which is in: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\data\talktables\

Be sure to copy it in the corresponding locations in the Origin installation folder. Now in your house, over the Griffon for exemple you should have "Memento of Legacy" writen and "Would you like to play Dragon Age 2: Legacy?" in the text box when you click on it.

There you go! Happy new DLC with Fenris or whoever was your lover in DA2 (but let's be serious a second, Fenris, right?)

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (4,861 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

So, a small update. I found out that everything works perfectly when I set the language to German (which is also my system and default language). I used to play this game in English since I installed it and I never had any issues with it. I'd like to hear Felicia's own voice Frown I'd still appreciate help how to play it in English.

Message 2 of 8 (5,634 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi! I guess you are not interested in the answer anymore, but in case others have the same problem, here it is.

First, Origin really messes things up with languages (comon guys, was it that hard to put a "language option" which can be changed depending on the game, like on St..m ?). To run your DA2 (basic game) in English :

1. open the folder: (Disk:\)Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age 2\Settings
  2. open the DragonAge file in a text editor
  3. change these lines and save:
    • Locale=en-us
    • VOLanguage=en-us

Origin will download the correct files. Tricky but easy, right? However this does not apply to the DLC content "Legacy", "Mark of the Assassin" and "The Exiled Prince" (you needed a little challenge here, sweet thing).

Firstly, go check this folder: (Disk:\)Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\addins\da2_prc_drk\module\audio\vo

If, as I, you do not have a "en-us" folder but only the language you installed DA2 in in the first place (like for me: fr-fr), then proceed to these steps for all three DLC:

1. visit this website to download their executable version: https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#dragonage
  2. open the .exe file with 7zip ("open archive"), travel to: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\audio\vo\
  3. extract the en-us folder (our Holy Grail of Andraste!!)
  4. copy it to the Origin installation folder as previously stated: (Disk:\)Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\audio\vo
  5. I'd remove the fr-fr, you know, just to be safe, but not sure it is mandatory

This is for the voices. Then for the text (text wheel and subtitles), you need to do the same steps for the files (found in the archive dowloaded on step 1):

• da2_prc_xxx_c_en-us.tlk, which is in: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\core\data\talktables\
  • da2_prc_xxx_en-us.tlk, which is in: $_2_\addins\da2_prc_xxx\module\data\talktables\

Be sure to copy it in the corresponding locations in the Origin installation folder. Now in your house, over the Griffon for exemple you should have "Memento of Legacy" writen and "Would you like to play Dragon Age 2: Legacy?" in the text box when you click on it.

There you go! Happy new DLC with Fenris or whoever was your lover in DA2 (but let's be serious a second, Fenris, right?)

Message 3 of 8 (4,862 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @jejoaa 

Thanks for providing the solution Standard smile

I will mark your post as the accepted solution.

/Ataashi

Message 4 of 8 (4,812 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi Jeejoaa

It was actually very helpful for me.

You explained incredibly well and now I can enjoy my game!

You're a life-saver!

I'm sending Andraste's blessings to you!

Thanx a million!

Message 5 of 8 (4,693 Views)

★★ Novice

Ty verymuch for the help, thanks to you it was really easy to fix this problem 

Message 6 of 8 (3,658 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Download the DLC with problems manually from:

https://help.ea.com/ca/help/faq/dlc-for-classic-games/#dragonage

i had problems with no audio in the mark of assasins dlc

my fix was download the DLC from the link above:

install the dlc

start game

problem fixed

if a had to guess the files used in the origin app has missing the audio files

Message 7 of 8 (1,949 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Yes thank you very much for this detailed explanation JEJOAA. There are other threads out there but ether new installation or some wired explanations. 

This is easy to follow and works! NO NEED for new game installation!

Last but not least - how the f is this an issue in 2022 EA/Bioware?

Message 8 of 8 (1,923 Views)