Re: Dragon Age 2 crash on startup

★ Novice

How do I run this game in DirectX 9?

Message 11 of 20 (2,381 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hi,

The normal way is to start the game. Go to the settings menu and there should be a checkbox like  (I don't have time to verify exaclty how it looks now) "use directX11" under the graphics tab. Disable that box.

If you for some reason can't open the settings menu try what I wrote in an earlier post:

1. Located the file DragonAge.ini which should be stored in "Documents and settings/Bioware/Dragon Age 2/Settings" (presumingly that they use the same file structure on MacOS as on Windows, my PC has crashed so I can't check it for you).
  2. Make a backup of the file and store it where you easily remember where it's.
  3. Open the file in any texteditor (notepad, notepad++, emacs or whatever).
  4. Find the line "UseDirectX11Renderer=1" under Video Options and change it to "UseDirectX11Renderer=0".
  5. Save the file.
  6. Start the game.
  7. If the game doesn't start up at all or if something behaves weirdly restore the ini file by using the backup and post a reply so I can figure something else out.

Good luck

Message 12 of 20 (2,375 Views)

★ Novice

I got it to work by opening the DragonAge2Config exe and setting it direct x to 9 instead of direct x 11.

Find it in whatever drive its on in program files (x86)/Origin Games/Dragon Age II/bin_ship

Message 13 of 20 (2,340 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This option worked for me, but in reverse.  I changed "UseDirectX11Renderer=1"  to "UseDirectX11Renderer=0".  Dragon Age 2 then would open and run.

Message 14 of 20 (1,931 Views)

★ Guide

@CaiphasPaxton wrote:

This option worked for me, but in reverse.  I changed "UseDirectX11Renderer=1"  to "UseDirectX11Renderer=0".  Dragon Age 2 then would open and run.

Of course, you're right, that was a misstake in my writing. Thanks for pointing it out. I've updated the guide now.

Message 15 of 20 (1,919 Views)

Re: I can't update my dragon age 2

★★★ Newbie

Message 16 of 20 (1,897 Views)

★★ Novice

I have to say that under clocking my GPU back to it's normal clock stop the crashes and freezes I was having .

Thank you for the wonderful solution 

Message 17 of 20 (1,603 Views)

★ Novice

Changing to Direct X 9 also fixed the problem for me, thanks!

Message 18 of 20 (1,066 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Same for me, it seems DirectX 9 fixed what was making it crash under DirectX 11. I haven't tried to run this game in years, I remember my first gaming PC, loading up with my then GTX 760 and DirectX 11 being borked with rainbow textures and never found out if they fixed it since at the time it was a driver issue. I have an RTX 2070 now so I couldn't go back to the driver that worked back then since that one was unsupported for the 900 series.

Message 19 of 20 (875 Views)

EA DICE Team
I'm closing this thread to stop it from being necroed.

If you have any issues with Dragon Age 2, please make a new topic about your problems and what kind of steps you have tried to solve them.

/Atic
Message 20 of 20 (823 Views)