Re: DLC Won't Install Because DA2 Not Installed on C:\

by paddlin

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DLC Won't Install Because DA2 Not Installed on C:\

★★★ Novice

Before I even launch into this issue, I just want to say how utterly disappointed I am with EA's support options. I know, I know. This is EA we're talking about - what could I have expected? After finding no answer to my query in EA's knowledge base, I attempted to get support an advisor via chat. The resulting chat window assured me I would be helped in 5 minutes or less. After 10 minutes, it changed to 5-10 minutes. Then after 15 minutes, it said less than 5 minutes. Then after 20 or 25 minutes, I connected with "Carlo." I'm still connected with Carlo. Carlo isn't there. I promise you it's nothing on my end - my networking options are about as open as they can be, and I have fantastic 50mb down/10mb up Internet that I'm connected to via Ethernet. I work tech support myself from home, so I need fantastic and consistent Internet. I'm annoyed and insulted that this is the best support EA can give me for their product. If you're going to make or publish something, stand by your product and offer proper support!

/rant

Now, onto my issue. DA2 is not installed to the same volume as my OS (Windows 8). It's installed on a drive labeled "F". I haven't been able to patch the game since I first installed it, because apparently the installer is too dumb to ask the game where it's installed. It must just assume it's on a drive labeled "C," and if not - OH WELL! Stupidly, I recently (I know, this game is like 2 years old, but still) bought some DLC from the BioWare social site (the only option for purchase I believe, unless you own the game through Origin - I don't, I got it from Amazon). I then proceeded to the "Registered Content I Own" page or whatever it's called, found the DLC, clicked "More Info" link, and clicked the "Download" link. The installers downloaded just fine. However, when I try to run them, I get an error that says "[DLC] requires Dragon Age II to be installed. Please install Dragon Age II and try again." I promise you Dragon Age II is installed. In fact I accessed the purchase page THROUGH the game! 

So, how do I get around this? Don't tell me, "Move the game to the C directory," or "Uninstall and reinstall to C drive," or even anything like an uninstall. Just to be clear, DA2 is installed to file path "F:\EADM\Dragon Age 2." My PC boots from drive C. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 22 (29,240 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Hey there,

I was frustrated too, but if you are registered at Bioware with your origin account and have registered the game you should be able to find the DLCs if you go to

1.) Origin -> DA2 click with left mouse -> Game details  (I don't know how it says in the menu because my language setting is not english, but it should be something like that)

2.) At the bottom you should be able to see the  DLCs and extra content for DA2. The ones you already bought should be available and apparently can be downloaded directly!

I hope this works for you as well Standard smile

View in thread

Message 10 of 22 (30,742 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Did you register your game (the base game that is) in the BioWare Social Network?

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 22 (29,182 Views)

★★★ Novice

@eaursula wrote:

Did you register your game (the base game that is) in the BioWare Social Network?

Yes, the base game is now registered. I tried to install the DLC again, and encountered the same error. 

The error I'm receiving wouldn't come up even if I hadn't registered the base game - that was an unnecessary troubleshooting step. As I said, the error says I don't have Dragon Age II installed - it says nothing about the game being registered or not.

Message 3 of 22 (29,175 Views)

★★★ Expert

The DLC does not have the option to change the install path, so, if you want it in your game, you have ot install the game in  the default location. That's simply how it is.

Message 4 of 22 (29,171 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

That is absolutely NOT true. Go to your origin settings and change where the origin files install. My entire game and DLC are installed on a different drive. You can install them on ANY drive that you want. First make sure you download them (If downloading off of BSN) into the same drive you want them installed on. I just created a folder titled "DLC INSTALLERS" They should automatically install to the origin folder on your computer. As long as you make sure that the origin folder is on the drive you want, they should install just f ine.

Message 5 of 22 (29,143 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have similar problem and yes, the base game is registered. I have the game installed on my C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\ Dragon Age II and it's still not working! I can't install manually any DLC or patch it to version 1.04. Becouse of that I don't hear the dialogs in DLCs. It's very annoying. I changed the location in origin settings and downloaded the game to different folder but it didn't help. I still have the same error "Dragon Age II was not found. Please reinstall the game and try again."

Message 6 of 22 (27,815 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. Registered copy, default installation location. Still won't recognize the game exists for patches or DLC.

Message 7 of 22 (27,796 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same problem too. I can't download my signature edition dlc because it says its not detected. I downloaded it to the default location on Origin

Message 8 of 22 (27,763 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey guys! So after much frustration and experimentation, I THINK I may have found a solution (even though this post is from over a year ago). What worked for me was:

1) Open the Origin client (so you're authenticated)

2) Run "DragonAge2Config.exe" from your Dragon Age 2 install folder (mine was located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Dragon Age II\bin_ship)

- this should register your game's proper install location

3) Attempt to run the DLC installers again. They should be successful this time!

Anyways, Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 22 (27,709 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hey there,

I was frustrated too, but if you are registered at Bioware with your origin account and have registered the game you should be able to find the DLCs if you go to

1.) Origin -> DA2 click with left mouse -> Game details  (I don't know how it says in the menu because my language setting is not english, but it should be something like that)

2.) At the bottom you should be able to see the  DLCs and extra content for DA2. The ones you already bought should be available and apparently can be downloaded directly!

I hope this works for you as well Standard smile

Message 10 of 22 (30,743 Views)