Black Emporium: Missing english text

by W_Artean

Original Post

Black Emporium: Missing english text

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello, I have recently bought Dragon Age 2 and the DLCs pack from Origin. I switched the language from French to English because I wanted to play the game in English.

I am at an early stage in the game (Act 1, haven't left Kirkwall yet) but I noticed a problem : pretty much everything concerning the Black Emporium DLC is missing its text ! The map only show the icon of the Black Emporium, not its name, when i press TAB the NPC and the various objects in the cave only display a little gold arrow and not their name as they should... There is also a completely blank entry in the 'Lore' section of the codex which I assume is related to this DLC. (the Sebastian cutscene introducing The Exiled Prince DLC is in English and working fine for now, so at least not all DLC are concerned by this problem)

So I looked into the game installation folder, into 'addins\da2_prc_eye\module\audio\vo' and there is only a 'fr-fr' folder in it. Since my whole game is in English I would have expected a 'en-en' folder alongside it. I may be wrong. ^^

So I switched Origin to English and reinstalled the DLC, but the problem persists. No text in the game and no 'en-en' folder (assuming there should be one). I read in a topic that Origin only download the DLC in the local language, and that a workaround was to download the DLC manually from the Bioware Social site. Unfortunately for me this site no longer exists. Frown

Since the Origin application seems decides on its own the language my DLC should be played in, I wondered if there is a way to 'influence' its decision, and force it to download the Black Emporium DLC in English. If it is not possible, is there another way to manually download the DLC files in English ?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 5 (1,994 Views)

Re: Black Emporium: Missing english text

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello ! I know your problem is probably solved by now, but- I did find a solution for it, if anyone else gets this problem.
First, you'll need to visit this page: https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#dragonage
Download the files for PC/MAC that miss english voices/texts for you.
When it is done, for PC for example, extract the .exe in a folder using 7zip. I use the "extract to [name of the file]" option, easier to sort out.
For example, for Black Emporium, it will give you a folder named "DA2_BlackEmporium". Inside this folder, there will be 2 folders : "$PLUGINSDIR" and "$_2_".
We are interested in the one called "$_2_". Open it.
There will be an "addins" folder. Copy it. Paste it in your Dragon Age II game folder. It should be located around here: "Disk:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II"

If you have trouble finding your game folder, right click on your Dragon Age II desktop shortcut, then click on "open file location". You are now in "Disk:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II\bin_ship". Just go back to "Disk:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age II", you can now paste your addins folder!
When pasting your "addins" folder, if asked, you can replace the files. You now have Black Emporium in english/VO! Repeat the same process for all DLCs that don't have english location. Enjoy!

Message 2 of 5 (1,807 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Hoowbie Heyy, could you help me installing the whole Black Emporium dlc? I can't download it even though I have it because Steam does not allow me to. I tried executing the file but it didn't work and now I just don't know what to do. I would be extremaly grateful if you could help me Standard smile
Message 3 of 5 (1,750 Views)

★ Novice

You don't need to execute that downloaded file. Like any other, this ".exe" is just a very complicated archive, but you can open it via any archiver (7-zip, Winrar, etc). After that you should follow Hoowbie's instruction.

It worked in my case, much thanks.

Message 4 of 5 (1,593 Views)

★★ Novice
@Hoowbie thanks a lot!
Message 5 of 5 (534 Views)