FPS & Stuttering (PC, non-VR)

by EA_Kent

Original Post

FPS & Stuttering (PC, non-VR)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

DR2_AstonMartin_Vantage (2).jpg

Over the last while we've seen issues where players on Steam report stuttering and general FPS issues, and after investigating it a bit further we wanted to put together a short guide to help with this.

WARNING:

Change these settings at your own risk and use common sense before committing to them. Some changes as some may adversely affect your playing experience.

Please also note that any graphics card setting changes will affect all of your games and not just DiRT Rally 2.0.

Windows PC users:

1. Disable Game Bar in Windows Settings.
  2. Disable "Steam overlay while in-game" in Steam settings.
  3. Make sure "Compatability Mode" is disabled on the .exe file for DiRT Rally 2.0.
  4. Enable Vsync and verify that the Frame Rate setting is at 60hz.

If you're using an NVIDIA graphics card:

1. In NVIDIA GeForce experience settings: Disable in-game overlay.
  2. In NVIDIA Control Panel > Configure Surround > PhysX: Select your graphics card in PhysX.
  3. In Manage 3D Settings: Find DiRT Rally 2.0 in programs (most likely under Steam) > [Add]
  4. In the settings for the program select the following:
    . CUDA - GPUs: [Use these GPUS] > Choose your graphics card model.
    . Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
    . Power Management mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
    . [Apply]

In-game:

1. Graphics: Set [Crowd] to anything below [Ultra].
  2. Ensure that multisampling is set to an appropriate setting for your PC spec.

Additional tips:

• Remove all non-essential USB devices (including wheels and VR equipment) before launching.
    Once the game is launched plug in the devices you wish to use.

• Alternatively you can disable all non-essential USB HID devices through the following steps:
    Device Manager > Human interface devices
    Right-click on the relevant USB devices and select [Disable].

If you were having stuttering or FPS issues before this, please try the above and share your results in this thread.

Kent.png
Message 1 of 3 (5,297 Views)

Re: FPS & Stuttering (PC, non-VR)

★★★ Newbie

Did everything mentioned. Nothing fixed. This was happening on my previous ASUS Strix with GTX 1070. I purchased a new laptop, ASUS Zephyrus M16 with 3070Ti... still happening.  After running for a few minutes, the game starts stuttering horribly and becomes unplayable... 

Message 2 of 3 (3,863 Views)

Re: FPS & Stuttering (PC, non-VR)

★★★★★ Apprentice

If i enable v-sync and 60hz then my frame rate is capped at 60fps?

But it's the only way i can avoid microstuttering (although i run at 120hz).

For some reason, if i go windowed borderless, or v-sync off (so uncapped frame rate) it's like running a slideshow. Capping frame rate with RTSS does not fix it. Capping frame rate with nvidia control panel doesn't do anything (frame rate still goes high, but game is still stuttering constantly).

Turning on widowed borderless instead of full screen drops 30fps. But still very high (160 ish). So i don't understand why it looks so bad, looks like 20fps.

But it doesn't appear to be the same for anyone else?

I've verified game files, deleted and reinstalled, i even upgraded my GPU to try and fix it, ran DDU to remove old drivers and reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers again. No difference.

I have 5800x3d and 3080 running on 3440x1440p with g-sync. Hardware is nowhere near it's limit but still getting horrible constant stuttering unless i enable those options. And even then, sometimes it still goes bad when going past crowds even when set to low.

The weird thing is that these stutters don't show up in the stream if I'm recording gameplay.

If i enable those settings to stop stuttering on my monitor, then the stream suffers every time i go past crowds and replays judder badly. But it's the least bad option, at least it's driveable.

Has anyone had this issue and found a resolution?

Message 3 of 3 (2,428 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help