[Old Report] Dead Space 2 will crash on launch with more than 10 processors

by Natefarious

Original Post

Re: Dead Space 2 will crash on launch with more than 10 processors

★★★ Newbie

Hello all. I thought I'd got away with the core problem when upgrading to a 7960X last month and installing loads of oldskool games, until i tried DeadSpace. One of my favouite games after the Unreal & Halflife franchise. But i can understand given the PC game is a flaky port and now very old.

I can confirm DS1 works on 16 cores (but not 32!). Turned hyperthreading off and started loading. But sounds like 16 is too much for DS2 according to above messages... worth the faff of BIOS editing though.

Message 11 of 50 (9,237 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Natefarious So use bills2 process manager and make a rule that the game is only allowed to use 10 cores. It lists multi threading cpu threads as cores so it would show a 6 core i7 as 12 cores.

All you do is uncheck the boxes so for a 6 core cpu with 12 threads you would check core0 core 2 core 4 core 6 core 8 and core 10.

That would have the game run on the main thread of each individual core

That being said I have an i7 5820k which is 6 cores 12 threads and I've never had an issue with any dead space game and I don't disabled anything
Message 12 of 50 (9,076 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

That being said I have an i7 5820k which is 6 cores 12 threads and I've never had an issue with any dead space game and I don't disabled anything

That's because you only have 6 cores. As stated in the thread, this problem occurs if you have more than 10 cores. Unlike what that program you suggested indicates, a thread isn't the same as a core. So, it's not surprising that you haven't had any issues because you don't have the amount of cores (11+) that would cause the problem indicated in this thread.

That said, thanks for the program suggestion nonetheless, because that may save me some hassle rather than going the other "fix" route indicated in the thread.

Message 13 of 50 (9,068 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Decided to spend some time on this issue this weekend and I have managed to create a workaround that doesn't require you to gimp your PC and reboot.

Link to file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OglTev8mpgwgikXHpiy3HifnS8F9aSsJ (would not let me attach it to this post.)

----Instructions----

Extract these files into the Dead Space 2 installation directory (the same folder as deadspace2.exe) and run the game.

Important: If you extract the files with the Windows zip tool, be sure to unblock them after extraction (right-click each file - Properties - Unblock).

----Disclaimers----

- This is a custom build of DXWrapper (https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper) that I created specifically for Dead Space 2. I am not affiliated with the original developers of this wrapper.

- I have virus scanned these files and they are clean, however you should always scan downloaded files yourself.

- It works by intercepting the exceptions raised by the process and allowing execution to continue. This is not an alternative for EA fixing the damn game - I still hope they will do this one day.

Message 14 of 50 (8,891 Views)

★★★ Novice

@h3llf1re2012 wrote:

Decided to spend some time on this issue this weekend and I have managed to create a workaround that doesn't require you to gimp your PC and reboot.

Link to file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OglTev8mpgwgikXHpiy3HifnS8F9aSsJ (would not let me attach it to this post.)

----Instructions----

Extract these files into the Dead Space 2 installation directory (the same folder as deadspace2.exe) and run the game.

Important: If you extract the files with the Windows zip tool, be sure to unblock them after extraction (right-click each file - Unblock).

----Disclaimers----

- This is a custom build of DXWrapper (https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper) that I created specifically for Dead Space 2. I am not affiliated with the original developers of this wrapper.

- I have virus scanned these files and they are clean, however you should always scan downloaded files yourself.

- It works by intercepting the exceptions raised by the process and allowing execution to continue. This is not an alternative for EA fixing the damn game - I still hope they will do this one day.

Fantastic! I can confirm this works. Thanks very much for posting that!

Message 15 of 50 (8,879 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@h3llf1re2012 I don't know a lot about programing but I'd like to thank you very much for this,I did not expect to find a post this recent resoling this issue and it made me very excited that this work around was so simple. Thank you again
Message 16 of 50 (8,754 Views)

★★ Novice
@h3llf1re2012 Sadly it doesn't worked for me, I have an i9-7980XE with 18 cores.
Message 17 of 50 (8,435 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hey @fidaay I'm sorry to hear about that. I have the i9-7920X and the fix works in both hyperthreaded (24 threads) and non-hyperthreaded (12 threads) modes. Does the game launch for you if you disable hyperthreading and/or disable 8 of your cores in the BIOS?

In the Dead Space 2 folder you should have a log file called dxwrapper-deadspace2.log. Can you post it or DM it to me?

Cheers,

Message 18 of 50 (8,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@h3llf1re2012Yes it does works if i startup my pc with 4 cores if i remember correctly. However i'm feeling dumb right now because i tried the patch with Dead Space 1. Anyways here is the log if usable http://www.mediafire.com/file/zi6d1bpe53sdnm0/dxwrapper-dead_space.log/file

Message 19 of 50 (8,278 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi! Are there any fix like this for dead space 1? Because your fix greatly and easily worked for DS2. But sadly DS1 for me suffers from same multicore trouble.

Message 20 of 50 (7,985 Views)