Re: Dead Space 2: Could not initialize display hardware.

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Dead Space 2: Could not initialize display hardware.

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm aware many of these threads already exist and I fear I've run out of ideas on where to look to fix this, so I need some more direct help. I've been able to run both the original Dead Space and Dead Space 3 completely fine however I'm beginning to think I'll never get to play Dead Space 2 seeing as I've gone through every thread and fix on google and I'm at my wit's end. Most seem to be aimed towards DS or DS3 so I'm hoping there's some weird niche fix for DS2 that I don't know about or that someone can find a miracle for me.

Anyway, I've attempted the following already:

Creating a settings.txt file within Users/(MY_USER)/AppData/Local/Electronic Arts/Dead Space 2

I used the settings file with multiple tests including lower resolution and turning on/off VSync and Fullscreen.

I've also tried what my boyfriend has which was similar but instead of Electronic Arts it was EA Games, both to no avail.

Verifying game files, restarting, reinstalling.

Updating my graphics, display, directX drivers. I even tried to run the game with my integrated graphics driver too. Didn't work.

There may have been something that I've missed so any feedback is helpful. I'm willing to provide information if anyone can take more of a deep dive into the problem.

EDIT: By the way my version of Dead Space 2 is through the Origin launcher. Steam fixes haven't worked since it's a different file location.

Message 1 of 8 (3,616 Views)

Community Manager

@pincepincepince Can you try removing your GPU drivers and then reinstall them. Can you then clean boot and then try the game as admin. 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 8 (3,592 Views)

★ Novice

I think removing my GPU drivers seems a bit extreme for Dead Space 2 plus the risk may be larger than the reward with that one. It's not as if I've had this problem with any other games or this would be a bigger issue. Something about Dead Space 2 (not 1 or 3) is blocked or corrupted. I automatically have the game as starting as admin so any fixes put through have some meaning at least.

Message 3 of 8 (3,547 Views)

Community Manager

@pincepincepince It literally takes two minutes to remove and reinstall. If you have a corrupt driver it is the only way to fix it and is a known fix for the issue you are describing. 

Darko.png
Message 4 of 8 (3,537 Views)

★ Novice

I've tried reinstalling, uninstalling completely with a fresh/clean download and install. I also tried to roll back the driver to see if that would work, still no luck.

Message 5 of 8 (3,519 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but try this:

The folder location you were looking in is Users/(MY_USER)/AppData/Local/Electronic Arts/Dead Space 2.

Try this instead:  Users/(MY_USER)/AppData/Local/EA Games/Dead Space 2

Check the settings inside the settings file in that folder and adjust as needed.   Make sure the height and width are within your system's accepted range, set to windowed, etc.

For some reason, the file directory changed from Dead Space 1 to 2.  I had the same problem today and was looking inside the Electronic Arts folder but Dead Space 2 settings was actually in EA Games.  I was able to change my display settings and restart the game successfully.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 8 (2,794 Views)

★ Novice

This fix started up my game. I switched the height to 1920 and the width to 1080 and it worked thanks a lot. 

Message 7 of 8 (2,489 Views)

★★★ Newbie

mano o meu n aparece EAgames

Message 8 of 8 (2,280 Views)