Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

by broosmi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

★★★★ Novice

I am deep into the game battling the Ceph Mastermind and suddenly got this message for the first time: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

Up to this point the game has run smoothly.

I have been on line searching for solutions for over 2 hours now.  Nothing has worked.  Within 60-90 seconds of rebooting and playing the game the screen freezes and I get the DXGI alert.

I literally gutted and then upgraded everything in my Cooler Master HAF case, starting with the motherboard, just so I could play Crysis 3.

I see that there are hundreds of people with this same problem.  How can there be no clear solution???

Intel Core i5-3570k CPU

16 Gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Ti

Gigabyte Z77X-UP4TH

Windows Experience Index 7.6 of 7.9

6 Fans

Message 101 of 194 (111,868 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

broosmi and Anyone seeing this error message,

This is a troublesome error that is not confined to this game or specific hardware. It is a DirectX error code that indicates a crashing of the driver. I have done some more research and have tried to collect all of the steps that people are reporting to have fixed this issue. One particular step I have seen but do not recommend is altering any video card voltages. Some of these steps are quick and easy, some require a little more effort.

• Turn on vsync
  • Perform a clean boot before attemting to play the game
  • Ensure you have power supply capable of meeting the demands of your hardware while it is under heavy gaming load
  • Perform a clean video driver installation. I have seen reports that this issue may be more prevalent with nvidia 314.07 so maybe avoid that especially as there is a newer WHQL version available. It also may be worthwhile trying a driver previous to 314.07. The previous nvidia drivers can be found here. Previous AMD/ATI drivers are here.
  • Set all in game graphics settings to low in order to reduce the stress on your GPU.
  • Ensure you have hard drive space available for your pagefile. If your pagefile is set to 8GB and you only have 4GB free you may run into problems.
  • Set the high performance preset in your GPU control panel, as opposed to the high quality preset.
  • Run your video card at stock speeds (memory and core). This is also important for players with factory overclocked cards. This will require some third party software such as EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner etc.
  • Set Windows power settings to High performance in the Power Options in Control Panel.
  • Also, beside High performance, click on Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, in PCI Express and Link State Power Management change the Setting to Off.
  • Run the dxwebsetup to possibly fix corrupted DirectX files. Do not do this unless you have attempted all of the previous steps.

I will link this post from the official nvidia forum, it is not the same error but it is a driver crashing type of issue and the points mentioned there are all relevant to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error message.

It is unfortunate that there does not appear to be a one shot panacea available for this error message and that each player will have to perform some methodical troubleshooting in order to eradicate this issue.

I will mark this post as the resolution to bring players attention to it and will monitor it in the coming days to see players responses. Please post and let the community know which if any of these steps have been of benefit to you.

Regards,

Barry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a post Answers your question please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Thank you for sharing your gaming expertise with your fellow players!

View in thread

Message 120 of 194 (143,193 Views)

All Replies

GPU error

★★★★ Novice

Hallo,

Ich kann Crysis 3 Beta nur über kurze Zeit online spielen, danach bekomme ich folgende Fehlermeldung :

DXGI_Error_Device_Removed

mein System :

GPU: Palit JEtstream GTX 660 Ti

CPU: Intel i7 870

Ram: 6Gb DDR3

Was kann ich tun?

mfg Jo0205

Hello,

Since downloading Crysis 3 BEta, I can only play a short time online, before the game is crashing with the Error :

DXGI_Error_Device_Removed

my System:

GPU: Palit JEtstream GTX 660 Ti

CPU: Intel i7 870

Ram: 6Gb DDR3

What can I do?

Sincerly Jo0205

Message 1 of 194 (112,605 Views)

Re: GPU error

★★ Newbie

I have the same error, when I play Crysis 3, and Battlefield 3 in all Ultra with my Gtx 560 Ti Sli DirectCU 2

Message 2 of 194 (112,554 Views)

Community Manager

Hi, 

DXGI_Error_Device_Removed means your graphics card driver is crashing. This mostly happens for overclocked or overheated cards, from the name of your card it seems like they are overclocked by default. You could try lowering the core and memory clock a bit and see if it helps.

Message 3 of 194 (112,540 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

But for what reason did i buy a fast GPU just to slow it down? That is no good solution! There must be another way

Message 4 of 194 (112,538 Views)

★★★★ Novice

No one has an Solution?

Message 5 of 194 (112,454 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hey,
Hatte das gleiche Problem : (
Du hast eine übertaktete Graka, so wie ich auch. Du musst den Takt der GPU auf Standard stellen. In unserem Fall ist das 915 MHz. Ich schätze das es ein Problem mit der Core Voltage gibt die die Karte bei einer hohen Auslastung überfordert, du könntest natürlich auch die voltage anpassen, aber ich für meinen Teil hab da schiss!

Außerdem hatte ich zum Test auch schon Vsync und AntiA Deaktiviert, dadurch kam es zwar weiterhin zu Abstürzten, aber die Fehlermeldung blieb aus.

Hab auf der Palit Seite ein ähnliches Tool zum downloaden gefunden wie bei miener Gainward Phantom:
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2012
Ganz unten auf der Seite unter Tool, Name ThunderMaster.

Ich wünsch dir mal Glück, bei mir geht es jetzt.

Message 6 of 194 (112,399 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Da sollte siche entweder Nvidea oder Crytek aber schnellstens was einfallen lassen. Ich meine, wpfür kaufe ich mir eine OC GPU, nur damit ich sie dann manuell runtertakten muss? Das kann ja keine dauerhafte Lösung sein. Frown Aber danke für den Tip

Message 7 of 194 (112,377 Views)

DXGI_ERROR

★★★★ Newbie

Hello.

I installed  and tried to play Crysis 3. I managed to get into the game but not more than 5 minutes.

The game keeps crashing giving me this error.

" DXGI_Error_Device_Remove "

My specs are :

i3 cpu 540 @ 3.07 Ghz (4cpus) , 3.1 Ghz

Geforce 460 GTX

4gb ram

What should i do ?

Message 8 of 194 (111,769 Views)

Re: DXGI_ERROR

Community Manager

Hi sensualpickle,

This is most likely a video driver issue. I recommend reinstalling the latest non-beta video driver and posting here again if you continue to see the error.

Regards,

Barry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a post Answers your question please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Thank you for sharing your gaming expertise with your fellow players!
Message 9 of 194 (111,762 Views)

fifa-19-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help