Original Post

anyway to change to a windowed mode in red alert 2

★★★ Novice

can i play red alert 2 windowed

Message 1 of 10 (48,275 Views)

Re: anyway to change to a windowed mode in red alert 2

[ Edited ]
Hero

Technically this can be done by running the game with command line parameter "-win", but unfortunately, windowed mode only works when your desktop is switched to 16-bit colour mode... and I don't think modern Windows versions even support 16-bit colour for the desktop.

So, yeah, I don't think it can be done, but if you really do want to experiment with that, make sure to first install Bibber's fixed game launchers, since the default ones that come with TUC don't even pass the "-win" command line parameter on to the game when you set it in the game's Origin settings.

[edit]

Seems Win10 has "run in 16 bit color" in its compatibility options Standard smile

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 2 of 10 (48,248 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bladethedemon:

It seems this dll fixes the 16-bit colour issue:

https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-ddraw/releases

This was originally made for Tiberian Sun, though, and apparently development on it was never truly completed, so there may be bugs. I talked to the developer, and they said that one of the known issues was that the click-areas of the buttons on the main menu won't get positioned on the actual buttons correctly, so you'll have to experiment a bit to get them clicked correctly.

Anyway. Full procedure should be:

-Install Bibber's fixed launcher for Red alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge

-Find the folder in which the game is installed, and put the ddraw.dll from the link above into it..

-In the Origin client, right-click the Red alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge item and open the game properties

-Make sure to disable the Origin In-Game option, and put "-win" in the "command line parameters" field.

That's it. Running the game now should give you.windowed mode.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 3 of 10 (48,240 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It works! but... I notice that in the menu, the button are now flashing like its constantly refreshing. Any ideas how to fix that?

Message 4 of 10 (42,373 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The link for the ddraw.dll fix download appears to be broken! (-_-)

Does anyone know where to find this file?

Message 5 of 10 (16,230 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I Think this may be the right link: https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-ddraw/releases
Message 6 of 10 (16,226 Views)

Hero
@JacobBulloch Yea, TS-DDraw has come a long way in the past 7 years, heh. It now definitely officially supports RA2.

Message 7 of 10 (16,197 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did everything here, and noticed the launcher open faster, but when I click yuri's revenge it open the window and then crashes, got any ideas?

Message 8 of 10 (10,366 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have this same problem - did you find a fix? I wonder if this has to do with the switch from Origin to the EA App.

Message 9 of 10 (5,958 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@WayneOfGoats Try to disable Windows 95 compatibility mode in yuri.exe properties (admin privilegies required).
Message 10 of 10 (5,393 Views)