Workaround: C&C Remastered - Failed to launch, start as administrator

by WTF_DOC

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Workaround: C&C Remastered - Failed to launch, start as administrator

★★★ Newbie

Here is a work around if your C&C Remsastered won't launch on PC using EA Desktop (including xbox gold pass or regular EA desktop).

If the game fails to launch, prompting to launch in administrator mode then does nothing:

Option 1:

1. Sign out of EA desktop.
  2. Open task manager and end the following tasks:
    1. EABackgroundService.exe 
    2. EADesktop.exe 
    3. EAGEP.exe 
    4. EALocalHostSvc.exe 
  3. Open EA Desktop and sign back in.

Option 2:

Sign out of EA desktop.

Open notepad, copy and paste this:

taskkill /IM EABackgroundService.exe /F
taskkill /IM EADesktop.exe /F
taskkill /IM EAGEP.exe /F
taskkill /IM EALocalHostSvc.exe /F

Save to your desktop as .bat with any filename you want, example I use "ea task end.bat"

Right click -> run as administrator. This will kill the tasks automatically without you having to go one by one.

The game will now open.

Message 1 of 24 (13,993 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Workaround: C&C Remastered - Failed to launch, start as administrator

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

incase someone comes upon this thread, go into Properties of your Game in the EA-App and add -NOSPLASHPRELOAD
Idk what it does i have it from a Steamfix for this game and it also works in the EA-App. I can start the game finally now.

View in thread

Message 7 of 24 (8,946 Views)

All Replies

★★ Apprentice
@WTF_DOC This did not work for me, the game still prompting me for an administrator account. Here's my problem:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/C-C-Remastered-Collection/Administrator-privileges-prompted-in-an-administ...
Message 2 of 24 (13,534 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same problem. Same result. Neither option one nor two solved for me. Running windows 10. Up to date. Admin everything. It has to be the launcher. Also in task manager at any time only EABackroundService is the only executable on that list open and running.

Message 3 of 24 (13,248 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have found a solution that worked for me. If you right click the desktop icon and click onto properties, then go onto the "compatability" tab. Then, if you click the part where it says "run in compatability mode for Windows 8. Should work. 

Message 4 of 24 (12,332 Views)

★★★ Newbie

nothing worked for me, not even on compatibility mode. this sucks

Message 5 of 24 (11,809 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

xbox gamepass is advertising this game, so i downloaded it. now the ea launcher won't launch it. I've tried through the gamepass app, ea app, and the origin app. I got the furthest with the origin app... it asks for the product key which obviously i dont have because it is a gamepass game. the contact us page sends me to these forums and not cs. what is up with this

Message 6 of 24 (11,569 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

incase someone comes upon this thread, go into Properties of your Game in the EA-App and add -NOSPLASHPRELOAD
Idk what it does i have it from a Steamfix for this game and it also works in the EA-App. I can start the game finally now.

Message 7 of 24 (8,947 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Lucia_Stardust worked for me, thanks!
Message 8 of 24 (8,830 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Lucia_Stardust It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 9 of 24 (8,804 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Lucia_Stardust They added a logic to preload textures on game startup, which prevents it lagging in-game when it loads them there for the first time. The "NOSPLASHPRELOAD" option disables that preload logic.

There's no minus before that though; it's "NOSPLASHPRELOAD", not "-NOSPLASHPRELOAD".

https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/news/july-beta-patch

Anyway, as side effect it might cause some lag when you first go in-game, possibly once for each terrain tileset.

Like a lot of people helping out around this place, I am a volunteer, not an EA employee. I'm just here to help. If my answer helped you, please give XP. And if an answer solved your problem, be sure to accept it as solution.
I will not help with game questions sent as private messages; those questions belong on the boards where everyone can see my answers.
Message 10 of 24 (8,754 Views)